Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW X5 Spy Shots (Updated - Page 5 )

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 08:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

source : autospies
Old 05-21-06, 08:58 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they started bringing new cars to dubai now???

hmm
the old X5 looks so darn good that its hard to improve on it
i dont see that many changes on this one
Old 05-24-06, 07:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Cgi . . .

Old 05-24-06, 07:32 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

The CGI isn't too bad looking.
Old 05-26-06, 09:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default first virtually uncamouflaged photos of the 2008 BMW X5 :

Mildly retouched by computer toshow better detail :

At first sight the second generation X5 looks like it carries on with the main characteristics from its predecessor. The new model has been developed under the code-name E 70.

However, looking closer, the main difference is that the newcomer is about 16 cm longer and 6 cm wider than the current model. It is thus providing enough room for a third row of seats. Like with all the other modern luxury off-roaders, also the new X5 can seat up to seven passengers, which quite obviously has become a must. Also the dashboard of BMW’s biggest off-roader has been revised to incorporate all new technical gadgets like a radar governed cruise control and BMW’s first night vision. An evolution of BMW’s x-Drive AWD system is in place, plus advanced wheel-by-wheel traction control.

Power is expected to come from two revamped Diesel engines, a 3,0 litre six cylinder/231 HP and a 4,5 litre V8/330 HP and from gasoline engines starting with a 3,0 litre six cylinder /258 HP up to a new V8 5,0 litre /367 HP.

The new X5’s release is scheduled for October 2006, an M-version could be in the pipeline for later on.

Hans G. Lehmann/ Hidden Image

source : autospies
Old 05-26-06, 11:02 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

They HAD to give it the WTF look
Old 05-27-06, 10:51 AM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Acutually it looks pretty decent, except for the rear tail lights
Old 05-27-06, 12:09 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
Is that now going to be based on the Cayenne and Toureg?
my thoughts exactly...

CEO
Old 05-27-06, 12:39 PM
LexFather

If it wasn't for the double kidney grill, you can't tell these new BMWs from Kias or Pontiacs.

Sad

Old 05-27-06, 01:39 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The red one looks very good.
Old 05-27-06, 01:50 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If it wasn't for the double kidney grill, you can't tell these new BMWs from Kias or Pontiacs.

Sad
That would have been insulting in the past, but most of the lower end manufacturers have made great strides in improving the styling of their products to mimick the more upscale manufacturers - not the other way around.

I'll go so far as to say that some of the better looking Hyundai products out there right now (namely the Azera, Sonata and Tiburon) look just as good as any Lexus or Toyota (except the SC430, which is and always will be disgustingly ugly in a way that none of the new BMWs can even match).

And the Kia Sorento is one of the nicest looking small SUVs on the market. What about the Pontiac Solstice or G6? Sharp looking cars, both.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 05-27-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
That would have been insulting in the past, but most of the lower end manufacturers have made great strides in improving the styling of their products to mimick the more upscale manufacturers - not the other way around.

I'll go so far as to say that some of the better looking Hyundai products out there right now (namely the Azera, Sedona and Tiburon) look just as good as any Lexus or Toyota (except the SC430, which is and always will be disgustingly ugly in a way that none of the new BMWs can even match). And the Kia Sorento is one of the nicest looking small SUVs on the market. What about the Pontiac Solstice or G6? Sharp looking cars, both.
I do really like the new 3, IMO a good looking car and the best Bangle.

Now to say Hyundai products are on par with the looks of Lexus is no offense, PWI.

Posting While Intoxicated

I'll show you why you think the Sorento is good looking, its a knock-off RX.

Kia

Old 05-27-06, 02:27 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

If that RX were a BMW or Mercedes and that Kia were a Lexus, virtually everybody on this forum would argue that the Sorento's bulky wheel arches, slightly reshaped headlights and revised bumper were a clear indicator that the car was not a direct copy, but just coincidentally similar because the overall shape and certain lines simply matched with the prevailing style and taste of the day - or something like that. Don't believe me? Watch what happens when I post pictures of any prior generation Lexus LS and the Mercedes S-class which existed at the time the LS was designed (as I've done before in this very same forum). That's called a double standard. Don't worry, it happens in all the other manufacturer forums, as well. One of the biggest bastions of internet idiocy and bias is currently found in the fine folks at E46Fanatics.

Oh, and there's simply no accounting for taste. I'm ambivalent towards the 3 (though the overall shape is promising, there's just something slightly awkward about the side profile of the nose - something I see in the A4 and 2IS as well - we can thank new pedestrian safety regulations in Europe for that), but I love the Z4. I'll also tell you right now that I think the Azera is a (slightly) better looking car than the new Camry (and therefore the ES350), which has an excessively high beltline and an awkwardly balanced front profile (design traits which may be popular right now, but that's not going to change the fact that I don't like them). Of course, the Santa Fe and Elantra and what not are still crap.

Speaking of knockoffs, I did promise pictures and here they are:

Old 05-27-06, 02:52 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ah thats a bit better
i dont see much of a change though

which is fine with me, if it looks good, just do some minor alterations
Old 05-27-06, 05:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by akhbhaat

Speaking of knockoffs, I did promise pictures and here they are:

Really, but how about this?

Get real dude, first gen LS raped MB in every possible way, and made MB flagship S class look like an ancient Caddillac. In fact, the S class in the picture was a knock off the fist gen LS.

Quick Reply: New BMW X5 Spy Shots (Updated - Page 5 )