Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I bought a 1990 RX-7 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 08:59 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking So I bought a 1990 RX-7 convertible

I had quite a journey the other night driving it home. I drove about three hours total last night right after work to go pick her up. The car started to over heat on the way back I was stuck in traffic. I think I must have covered about two miles in fourty minutes thats how bad it was getting on from Interstate 80 east to 294. I was forced to hop out and pull the car aside and I was tripping hardcore just thinking WTF is going on why is it overheating ?. So I called my brother up he told me that supposedly these cars have a mechanical fan not electric and told me to turn the heat on all the way and as soon as I did the temperature gauge went from three quarters of the way to half in seconds ?!?!?!?! the car was running perfect again. So basically I drove home with the heat on full blast in sixty degree weather with the top down and it was fun. The car is nice overall it needs some TLC I have to get new tires for it the front left bearing needs to be replaced and the front fenders have the typical RX-7 rust pattern. The interior is unbelievably clean on this thing. It gets a LOT of attention everywhere. I have had at least three people rev on me at stop lights .I dont think the exhaust is stock it was replaced at some time because the thing sounds like a JET or the warp drive engaging on the uss enterprise at WOT.The engine was rebuilt at 100k Anyways here are some pictures
Old 04-11-06, 09:03 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

that sounds cool... hope your new restoration project goes well.
Old 04-11-06, 09:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by saleem
Anyways here are some pictures
Where???

Jonny
Old 04-11-06, 09:07 AM
Tramix
Lead Lap

Yea swap out the fan for an electric fan. Does wonders for those cars. Also be sure to check oil more often then you would as the Rx-7 does burn oil(on purpose though..lol). Overall a fun car. Enjoy it!
Old 04-11-06, 09:17 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the RX7 convertibles. They looked awesome when they first came out. Congrats and let's seem some pictures.
Old 04-11-06, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Tramix
Yea swap out the fan for an electric fan. Does wonders for those cars. Also be sure to check oil more often then you would as the Rx-7 does burn oil(on purpose though..lol). Overall a fun car. Enjoy it!
Definitely....Tramix is correct. These cars use both gas and oil like it is going out of style. Not only check the oil more often than average on these cars, but since the engine overheated, the oil viscosity may have broken down some...I would change it ASAP and put on a new filter.
I also agree with the idea of an electric fan.......but make sure you get a GOOD one with a high-quality motor and sensors.
Old 04-11-06, 09:39 AM
saleem
Pole Position

sorry guys I forgot to post pictures . Here you go

Old 04-11-06, 10:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice car, congrats
Old 04-11-06, 10:17 AM
saleem
Pole Position

You guys can see the pictures ? cuz clublexus.com said they were too big too attach so I linked em from my350z.com where I posted right before I posted this thread here.
Old 04-11-06, 10:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by saleem
You guys can see the pictures ? cuz clublexus.com said they were too big too attach so I linked em from my350z.com where I posted right before I posted this thread here.
can't see them
Old 04-11-06, 10:46 AM
Lvangundy

hehe a friend and I were thinking about a project RX-7 ..I'm weary of that engine though. But I don't know anything about it, so hey..

Old 04-11-06, 10:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

You have to be logged on to my350z.com to see the pics, which means you have to be a member(which I am )

Why don't you just upload them to your clublexus gallery ?
Old 04-11-06, 11:00 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
You have to be logged on to my350z.com to see the pics, which means you have to be a member(which I am )

Why don't you just upload them to your clublexus gallery ?
Thanks for the idea. I didnt know I had the privilege to upload my own library of pictures. Its under my username. Clublexus member gallery . Let me know if you guys can see it please
Im taking out the car for an oil change in a few minutes.
Old 04-11-06, 12:21 PM
Tramix
Lead Lap

Default Fan pic

Here is a pic with an electric fan installed. If I remember correctly...the fan came from a Dodge viper I think...haha either way here's a pic of it.

Old 04-11-06, 05:35 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Be careful with the overheating, that's the number one killer of rotary engines. If the needle budges you need to be worried. The temperature gauge does not change linearly.

Get the compression tested on that car ASAP, and inspect the coolant for oil. A good compression check is to leave the coolant fill cap off and turn on the car. If you get a geyser of coolant, your cooling seals are toast.

I've owned quite a few of these cars over the years...rx-7's and the rotary engine are wonderful cars when properly maintained. Excluding Miatas, Rx-7's have historically had some of the best handling for a compact RWD platform.

Quick Reply: So I bought a 1990 RX-7 convertible