Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rediculous GAS PRICES!! solution?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 11:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the worlds largest oil site had its production peaked and its not making as much oil as previously, this is not helping the gas prices either
Old 04-12-06, 12:08 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My recommendation to everyone here is to buy a nice FC or FD RX-7 like me and enjoy it while you can. There maybe no Gas available after a while.
Old 04-12-06, 12:53 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First of all, this has little to do with Bush. Gas prices are set primarily by supply and demand. Demand all over the world.....in many places beyond Bush's control like in China and India....is simply skyrocketing, and there is little we can do about the demand issue, except for all of us to just drive a little less or get more efficient vehicles.

And as far as " soccer moms " in big SUV's go, there is a reason why they drive these large vehicles in spite of high...and climbing.....gas prices. And it is just what you point out....that little " bundle of joy " there in the child seat. The mother's protective instinct to surround her child......and herself.........with as much vehicle and as much metal as possible for crash protection. This, and the fact that because of the EPA and gas mileage regulations, TRUE full-size cars and wagons went out in the late 1970's, leaving large SUV's to essentially take their place. Even today's RWD " full-size" cars like the Crown Victoria and Town Car are no bigger than 60's-70's vintage mid-sized cars.

( In fact, speaking of large SUV's, I plan to review a new Tahoe this afternoon )
So can you explain why the gas prices sky rocketed as soon as bush came into office? I dont know if he's the reason among other factors but I remember back in 95 where gas was .89 in georgia. I dont even drive that much, school and work are 5 minutes away, and I still put 10 bucks of gas just about every day. A motorcycle sounds pretty good to me right now but nyc drivers have no respect for bikers. As for the boycott, that wouldnt work at all unless the people had other means to power their cars where the reliance on the oil companies would be greatly diminished. Now that would create a big stur and trust me the govt would step in. Y? hmmm try and figure that out if theyre not in this whole oil bit.
Old 04-12-06, 12:54 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the worlds largest oil site had its production peaked and its not making as much oil as previously, this is not helping the gas prices either
that is all propoganda. Crude oil inventories in the US have been on the high side for almost a year.

Here is a report published today on CNN.

"Crude prices are facing difficult headwinds in terms of the fundamental supply factor," said John Kilduff, an energy analyst at Fimat. "We're nearing record supplies."

Kilduff said crude stocks are within 10 million barrels of the all-time high reached in 1998, when oil traded at a paltry $10 a barrel.

And we can blame the triopoly that was created when exxon/valero/mobil/, shell/texaco, and BP/amaco were born. I am not sure where sunoco fits in. (I also blame certain politicians for allowing these giant mergers) "Consumers will benefit from the economies of scale! Yeah right....

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/12/mark...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Someone explain to me, if supply is a lot greater than demand, why are prices almost 3x then they were in 1999?
Old 04-12-06, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Someone explain to me, if supply is a lot greater than demand, why are prices almost 3x then they were in 1999?
It's due to worries by oil traders about risks to oil supply no matter what it is today. So they bid on ever bigger orders into the future to lock their allocations which drives up the price. They're probably worried about a military strike or embargo in Iran disupting supply or that nut job in Venezuela doing something. They might even be worried about hurricanes again after Katrina last year.

I don't think oil companies really set the price. They only set the supply.
Old 04-13-06, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
So can you explain why the gas prices sky rocketed as soon as bush came into office? I dont know if he's the reason among other factors but I remember back in 95 where gas was .89 in georgia. .
Don't blame Bush. First of all, the price did not skyrocket when he took office...it has been on a slow general upwards curve for about the last 7 years or so, except for the immediate post-Katrina period.

Demand for oil and gas in this country has grown substantially in the last 11 years since the 1995 date you brought up, for many reasons...and we have not built a SINGLE new refinery to process the crude oil even if the supply WERE to go up.

It is a complex and difficult problem, but in my opinion I place at least part of the blame on the people who are preventing new drilling from taking place and refineries from being constructed. Sooner or later we have GOT to get the supply up...as well as lower the demand. Regardless of the price...you can't run cars on empty tanks.
Old 04-13-06, 08:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
My boat takes 250 gallons "premium"....at 1 mpg avg. per motor....that's going to suck!!! plus figure 35-50cents higher price on the water.
Time to consider a diesel trawler or a sailboat!
Old 04-13-06, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There's an old saying.............." If it flies or floats, it will eat you up ".
Old 04-13-06, 08:30 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't blame Bush. First of all, the price did not skyrocket when he took office...it has been on a slow general upwards curve for about the last 7 years or so, except for the immediate post-Katrina period.

Demand for oil and gas in this country has grown substantially in the last 11 years since the 1995 date you brought up, for many reasons...and we have not built a SINGLE new refinery to process the crude oil even if the supply WERE to go up.

It is a complex and difficult problem, but in my opinion I place at least part of the blame on the people who are preventing new drilling from taking place and refineries from being constructed. Sooner or later we have GOT to get the supply up...as well as lower the demand. Regardless of the price...you can't run cars on empty tanks.

Demand

Plain and simple.

But hey, SC3005SPD1, at the same time oil was going up, so was raw materials in gerneral.

Have you made an attempt to buy steel in the last 5 years? Cement?

People from all over the world are sucking up resources to build… China, India…

Many companies were at a crisis level trying to deal with the massive surge in steel costs alone, their not running around blaming bush.
Old 04-13-06, 11:25 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would never boycott a gas station that I use (mainly 76; Chevron on occassion) because that means in the mean time while you wait for gas prices to go down you're going to be consuming crappy gas. I know when I was younger, my parents had SUVs because my mom was a "soccer mom" well, hockey and golf mom rather. The point is, people DO in fact drive these types of vehicles out of necessity. My parents could have never gotten by driving an Accord or Camry or something of that nature. There simply would have been not enough room.
Old 04-13-06, 11:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ok so but yea ethanol is mixed in gas = gasohol which is usually 10% ethanol. But would a car run PURELY on ethanol? BTW ethanol is bacially drinking alcohol. Then next up is Isopropanol which is just rubbing alcohol.

As for the soccer moms..... milf! lol jk

Btw is me or does it seem like were gettin less and less gas mileage? Im fillin up more and more and driving the same way. Something aint right

Ethanol is NOT drinking alcohol; you're getting ethyl and ethanol confused. Ethanol is Ethyl alcohol mixed with methanol to make it poisonous (you go blind) so that one does not drink it.

As for the "bush theorists": Leave your petty conspiracy theories for the political forum!
Leets
Lexus Champion

Btw is me or does it seem like were gettin less and less gas mileage? Im fillin up more and more and driving the same way. Something aint right
It's the Ethanol. Ethanol results in lower mileage than gasoline that does not contain Ethanol.

In theory, it would be great if we could just run on Ethanol due to it's cleanliness and the fact that we can just continually "grow" it. However, most manufacturers aren't willing to take a chance on introducing a new model that runs on pure Ethanol that gets LESS MILEAGE and LESS POWER than comparable (and most likely cheaper) gasoline models. That's just a marketing nightmare.

You also have to remember that Ethanol production in this country is nearing monopoly status. I forget the corporation's name, but there is primarily ONE manufacturer of the over-whelming majority of Ethanol fuel in this country. In theory, that status could mean virtually unchanged fuel prices (or even higher) if we were to rely solely on them.

On the bright side, Canada's on its way to becoming the biggest oil producing country in the world. Their oil is more expensive to collect and refine, but a bump in supply by a major trade partner who can supply without the need for trans-oceanic shipping could mean lower costs at the pump... or at least pricing that's more stable.
mdw131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple comments....

1)I dont recall the data but supposedly its very resource inefficient to produce gas from corn/sugar, ethanol. It takes MANY acres of land plus i believe in America it actually costs more then they sell the gas for but it is subsidized by the government.

2) As an economic major I took a class on economic growth. One economic theory taught to us was that historically natural resources all DECLINE in price relative to labor price/cost of living. This is due to finding new stock of the resources, new efficient way to utilize/mine/harvest the resource, and shifting the demand to other resources.

Here;s one article I found real quick on google:
http://www.econlib.org/library/ENC/N...Resources.html
Old 04-13-06, 05:21 PM
Lexwang07

My solution is buying 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid saved lots money on gas every month! I commute to work every weekday, and I paid $300 over each month with Chevron Credit Card! My RX300 gas tank empty less than 3 days!