Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Explain to me why I am 28 and heart luxury sport sedans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 07:26 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 28 and I love sports sedan the most. 1995 Honda Accord V6 sedan was my first car, then I replaced it with a 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan. Right now my favorite is BMW 5-series sedan. Sports sedan is the perfect balance of sportiness and comfort and practicality, and they keep good resale values.
Old 04-11-06, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I am 28 and I love sports sedan the most. 1995 Honda Accord V6 sedan was my first car, then I replaced it with a 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan. Right now my favorite is BMW 5-series sedan. Sports sedan is the perfect balance of sportiness and comfort and practicality, and they keep good resale values.
Well we got at least 1 thing in common

Old 04-11-06, 07:48 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Unlike some people here, I could only get one car. When I first started, I was thinking about a Boxster X, 3-series coupe, or some other fun car that is more flashy than practical. Obviously a 3 convertible is more practical than a Boxster, but still, as my only car, I would feel really foolish having one of those. I don't always take 4 people with me, but I do sometimes... And up here, it makes no sense to get a convertible, since you can only have the top down a few months a year.

I see a lot of younger, single people driving sport sedans these days. Once I figured out that the IS is more practical, more reliable, and also faster and more HP than the cars above, it was no contest.
Old 04-11-06, 08:05 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Post I feel you Sick however...........

Here's the thing. I was never a big fan of coupes coming up. In fact I thought it was stupid to have to fold your seat forward for rear occupants. All of that changed when I sarted driving my uncle's MB CL a few years ago. Then I started driving the CLK drop and vowed to one day own a convertible. This is big coming from someone who never saw the sense in having a car with only 2 doors.

Man how times have changed. Like you I'm 28 with no kids. For the past year I had been looking at the GS and LS and CLK also. One day just after the new year I said "What the Hell!!" and started seriously considering the SC430. Guys I could not be happier. Yes I love the attention and all that comes with it. But I really enjoy this 2 door life. It's a high. While there are those few times that I wish I had a little more back room especially coming from a Range. And I'm sure most of you guys out there know exactly what I'm talking about. My SC430 is my daily driver along with MTA subway and I have no complaints. I actually enjoy having a 2 seater as I no longer have to haul my whole team around (those most of us have our own cars). One of my boys has a Denali and I always feel for him as everybody and their grandmother wants to pile in. That I don't need. Now it's just room for me and wifey or me and my boy.

I love this coupe life and fortunately it works for me at this stage of my life. Look, I used to see this 70 something year old guy around my moms neighborhood, who used to wear wife beaters in his BMW Z3 and I said I will not be him. The time is now!!

Last edited by LexLaw; 04-11-06 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

mike i guess i am on the same boat. i love sport cars and such, but somehow i would treat them as toy cars. my love is all in vip rides. big and bigger
Old 04-11-06, 10:30 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I like my IS350 because i dont have enough money to buy a F-430 or a CGT or even M3. I dont now about you. but damn, if i have enough money to buy one of those, screw luxury sedans!
Old 04-12-06, 03:26 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

There's some elusive appeal to big-body performance sedans (and performance sedans generally). I think it has a lot to do with the apparent dichotomy of the sedan's utility and performance capability normally associated with sports cars. I think it has to do with our love, as self-interested humans, of excess; I think, though the preference is different, it's the same basic motivation that drives soccer-mom's into wanting the Excursion or Navigator. There's also the notion of "having it all" in one package and not compromising.

Ultimately, though, they just look damn good. And when you're pushing along in an S-class, A8, 7-series, or LS - it's easy to forget the idea of cramming yourself into a quarter the space to shave a quarter-second off your 0-60 time.

M.
Old 04-12-06, 03:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The heck is wrong is me???? Shouldn't I want a Vette or Mustang or WRX or something? Why does fit and finish and real wood and prestige matter to me? I got the rest of my life to drive a Town Car

R we spoiled? The new crop of luxury sedans these past few years, especially from Lexus BMW and Mercedes blend everything so well, if you can get it, they are pretty much perfect cars??

I am single with no kids yet I worry about space, a trunk and resale value.

Shouldn't I want a damn 2-seater?????
See?.........You've just verified some of the things I've posted over the years about automotive stereotypes being a bunch of nonsense.
Now you see for yourself....there is no reason why non-geezers can't drive comfortable luxury cars with nice interiors....or why geezers can't drive sports cars ( if they can get into them, of course ) .....or why family guys can't drive a minivan........or why straight males can't drive a VW Beetle or Cabrio.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-06 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 04:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I feel you bro I love the SC but I plan on replacing it with a sedan I'll most likely go with a LS though VIP style.
Old 04-12-06, 07:49 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 22 and ive wanted a luxury car since i was a child. I still like Zs and vette and im interested in performance i just really like luxury i guess cause my parents owned so many luxury cars.
Old 04-12-06, 07:53 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm 27 and luxury sport sedans are my favorite as well. Luxury sports coupes are nice too, especially CL and SL AMG's... Once you learn that luxury and sport can be sucessfully combined (for a price of course) there is little reason to look else where... As far as i'm concerend anyway.
Old 04-12-06, 08:11 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I am single with no kids yet I worry about space, a trunk and resale value.

Shouldn't I want a damn 2-seater?????
You can't fit 3 freaks in a two seater
Old 04-12-06, 08:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All signs of premature maturity?

Maybe there are quite a few of us who recognize that in the real world the abillity to cut a sub-10 second quarter or a .98 G turn are nice for bragging rights, but really miserable to live with in a daily driver. There are few, if any opportunities to explore the edges of the performance envelope on today's streets.

After a day of taking a beating at the company grindstone, the last thing you want is something with a clutch pedal out of a squat machine, or a ride like a skateboard. Just get me home with as little damage as possible. A nice warm seatback, a silky ride, and a half-hour's relaxing silence seem to climb my wish list every time I look for a new car. I'll leave the apex sniping and retina-bending acceleration to a weekend project car.
Old 04-12-06, 08:24 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I like sedans but trust me it's nothing like saying you have a coupe. It even sounds better when it comes off the tongue. Yes a sedan is nice and have more space but it's just something about rolling up in a coupe. Women love that s h i t.

The only reason you perfer a sedan is b/c you have never own a coupe and sedan at the same time. The best of both worlds.
Old 04-12-06, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You can't fit 3 freaks in a two seater
hahaa, that's a good one

Quick Reply: Explain to me why I am 28 and heart luxury sport sedans?