Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Explain to me why I am 28 and heart luxury sport sedans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb Explain to me why I am 28 and heart luxury sport sedans?

The heck is wrong is me???? Shouldn't I want a Vette or Mustang or WRX or something? Why does fit and finish and real wood and prestige matter to me? I got the rest of my life to drive a Town Car

R we spoiled? The new crop of luxury sedans these past few years, especially from Lexus BMW and Mercedes blend everything so well, if you can get it, they are pretty much perfect cars??

I am single with no kids yet I worry about space, a trunk and resale value.

Shouldn't I want a damn 2-seater?????

Old 04-11-06, 03:44 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just 20 but I've never been fond of coupes. I'll take a sedan over a coupe anyday. They are a PITA especially if you have a bunch of friends with you.
Old 04-11-06, 04:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont know about yall, but personally I like luxury with a little bit of sport thrown in, sometimes a lot(but there are exceptions as well). Its gotta have all the latest features gadgets and gizmos and must be fast and handle well. Lately I think Lexus has been getting the formula right for my tastes. New IS, New GS for example.
Old 04-11-06, 04:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Sometimes, the logical side kicks in.

Unless you are willing and able to own half a dozen cars at a time, we want a car that provides power, space, cost efficiency, handling, performance, and amenities in a nice package. A two seater cannot fulfill everyday function. A performance sedan can give a little bit of everything for everyday driving (and better overall performance in everyday traffic).

Yes, I want my Lotus Elise. But I would like to be able to buy a gallon of milk without strapping it on the roof rack...
Old 04-11-06, 04:57 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 21, and I kinda heading into the sedans rather than coupes/roadsters.

I wouldn't mind driving a pimp minivan either...
Old 04-11-06, 05:06 PM
Lvangundy

I'm partial to sedans as well and I don't really know why.

The IS300 was the perfect blend for me, but without a V8 I couldn't completely accept it. Then again I have a SC300 now, so who knows..?

Old 04-11-06, 05:10 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its ok, when your midlife cirsis kicks in you'll want that 2-seater. On the contrary to most of you, I love coupes. I prefer performance over luxury in most cases and am willing to deal with the accompanying issues. However, some of the new sedans like the CLS, E class, Audi S/R cars, CTSV are all very enticing...a very nice blend.
Old 04-11-06, 05:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have the best of both worlds... but for daily use, I love the GS with its' V8 power and space... not to mention it's baller looks!

As soon as the Turbo MR2 is done, I will begin my next project cars:

- SuperFormance Daytona Cobra Coupe (will be 1-UZ powered with individual throttle bodies... sacrilege!)
- 1949 Ford Coupe, restoring to near-stock with flathead V8... will upgrade to disc brakes and suspension will be lowered, but car will otherwise look mostly stock.

After that... I'll be pretty satisfied (car-wise).
Well, maybe a 360 Challenge Stradale would be nice at some point in time
Old 04-11-06, 05:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The heck is wrong is me???? Shouldn't I want a Vette or Mustang or WRX or something? Why does fit and finish and real wood and prestige matter to me? I got the rest of my life to drive a Town Car

R we spoiled? The new crop of luxury sedans these past few years, especially from Lexus BMW and Mercedes blend everything so well, if you can get it, they are pretty much perfect cars??

nothing wrong with you... Why not have luxury sports sedan? it is best of both worlds.
Old 04-11-06, 07:07 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, Mike it's because your brain is hard-wired for practicality and efficiency, not sex appeal. Out of college I bought a 4-door Honda Accord, and then I got a Maxima. I can count the number of times that I've had people in the back in both of those cars over 5 years probably on my two hands. I could care less about sexy 2drs because they're just not me. Efficiency and practicality minded people buy efficient and practical cars to suit their personalities.
Old 04-11-06, 07:10 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's because you think ahead, which means you're smart.
Old 04-11-06, 07:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
LOL, Mike it's because your brain is hard-wired for practicality and efficiency, not sex appeal. Out of college I bought a 4-door Honda Accord, and then I got a Maxima. I can count the number of times that I've had people in the back in both of those cars over 5 years probably on my two hands. I could care less about sexy 2drs because they're just not me. Efficiency and practicality minded people buy efficient and practical cars to suit their personalities.
I guess man, I mean I love coupes. The G35 coupe is great, the RX-8 coupe etc. But as you stated, praticality and quality takes over. Thing is shouldn't I not CARE about those items?

I just find it odd, thats all.

Old 04-11-06, 07:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Luxury + performance = everything. Nothing else needed.

I actually want an RX within one year from now, so I'll either add one to the stable or trade the IS in.

After seeing Dadd-O take his RX through the dragon, I'm convinced
Old 04-11-06, 07:22 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I guess man, I mean I love coupes. The G35 coupe is great, the RX-8 coupe etc. But as you stated, praticality and quality takes over. Thing is shouldn't I not CARE about those items?

I just find it odd, thats all.
No. You're assuming that you're like other people but you're NOT like other people.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Take that test. I'm pretty sure you'll come out as either ENTJ or ENTP.

<--- ENTJ
Old 04-11-06, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
No. You're assuming that you're like other people but you're NOT like other people.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Take that test. I'm pretty sure you'll come out as either ENTJ or ENTP.

<--- ENTJ
HAHAHA, maybe that is why I am thining of this, I just took something very similar last week.

BTW, I hear the next GS 460 might just have a VDIM off switch

Quick Reply: Explain to me why I am 28 and heart luxury sport sedans?