Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Slow Moving Hybrids Clogging Car Pool Lanes . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 06:01 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most hybrid owners around he drive fairly slow and tend to clog up the left lane at 60mph and when I make the move to pass on the right then they decide to get over. I don't give them the chance anymore. If I'm going 65 and you are going <65 in the left lane, I'm going to accelerate to 70 and pass. I'm tired of sitting behind people for a long time while they put put along.
Old 01-20-10, 07:28 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Thinking about it, I probably cruise slower when behind the wheel of a hybrid, but I do accelerate faster. The 400h is just so much fun to jam on the gas and do a brief 4 wheel burn out in.
Old 01-20-10, 08:04 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

When they're doing 70mph and the rest of the traffic is going the same speed, then they need to move the f over. I run into these drivers on my commute on a daily basis.
Old 01-20-10, 08:17 PM
LexFather

This is news?

It has been my experience that Prius owners drive very fast in the fast lane and I have yet to see the knock-off Insight NOT in the fast lane..
Attached Thumbnails Slow Moving Hybrids Clogging Car Pool Lanes . . .-leaf11.jpg  

Old 01-20-10, 11:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The hybrid drivers I see here on LA freeways are all speeders, not slow-pokes. Zip Zip with the small cars. It's usually the bigger cars lagging in the fast lanes.
Old 01-21-10, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mixed bag here. Many of the hybrid-owners with yellow stickers (allowing solo drivers to use car pool lane) bought the hybrid only to use the lane and they tend to drive fast.
Old 01-21-10, 08:00 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in NJ the prius drivers are the ones with ***** going 80+ on the highway. I get scared if I was going that fast lol
Old 01-21-10, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The hybrid drivers I see here on LA freeways are all speeders, not slow-pokes. Zip Zip with the small cars. It's usually the bigger cars lagging in the fast lanes.
i say mix here around OC. some prius drivers man do they know how to drive. some of them though, i ride faster in a bicycle...
Old 01-21-10, 08:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
In years to come, such privileges may be transferred from increasingly common hybrids to the newer class of plug-in vehicles, which run some of their miles using grid power rather than any gasoline at all. Examples are the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid, and the 2012 Nissan Leaf.
That's a good idea to show eco-friendly progress.

Hope that electric cars don't run out of juice and stall in the middle of the carpool lanes.
Old 01-21-10, 12:55 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Prius drivers and the Volvo drivers are among the worst here in New England, all Sunday crusiers.
Old 01-21-10, 03:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it all depends on where you live. I would estimate that a little more than half the Prius Drivers here in my state that I encounter drive slower than the flow of traffic. Now, I'm not saying they are going below the speed limit or even just at the speed limit. Just slower than the actual flow of traffic. While technically against the traffic laws, it is my opinion that traffic should flow at the speed it naturally flows, and if you are traveling slower than that you should start in the right lane even if you are traveling the speed limit. Speed limits are too slow most of the time IMHO.

Also, Hybrid solo drivers should NOT be allowed in HOV lanes. I don't mind them getting the free metered parking in the city, but High Occupancy Vehicle lanes should be for people with more than 1 person in the car period. Only exception would be motorcycles. Of course, until the laws change you can't fault these owners for taking advantage. If I owned a qualifying hybrid I'd take advantage everywhere I could myself.
Old 01-21-10, 03:34 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Also, Hybrid solo drivers should NOT be allowed in HOV lanes. I don't mind them getting the free metered parking in the city, but High Occupancy Vehicle lanes should be for people with more than 1 person in the car period.
I mind. I am a huge proponent of hybrids, but I don't agree with the privelaged parking spaces, free parking, car pool lanes, etc. alotted to owners. You're already saving money on gas, that should be good enough.

I would be all for states adopting rebates such as PA as incentive. $500 if you purchase a new hybrid.
Old 01-21-10, 04:02 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

ironic that some of the prius are fast while the SL55 amgs are sooo slow
Old 01-21-10, 04:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
ironic that some of the prius are fast while the SL55 amgs are sooo slow
If I could rant for a moment, because I was doing it to myself this morning. I was behind an old man, moving very slowly in his AMG. Thinking about it, I live in an afluent area and I frequently witness old people, driving slow in M cars, AMG, the DTS, and so on. My take on it is why waste the gas? Give these people a 3 cylinder Mercedes Benz and massaging seats, call it a day.
Old 01-21-10, 06:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

commuting along the 10 fwy daily, there are plenty of speedsters, both hybrid and non. but to be driving so quickly in the carpool lane when the other lanes are practically standstill would freak me out. there are so many of those crazies who wanna get somewhere quickly, so they'll just dash out of their lane into the carpool lane, and in many cases cause near accidents. i see them more with SUV's because they do have a larger blind spot. from my experience, hybrid vehicles dont tend to go all that much faster than the speed limit, but i have encountered a few who cut in and out of lanes whenever they wish, including the carpool.

Quick Reply: Slow Moving Hybrids Clogging Car Pool Lanes . . .