Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My God the new E55/E63 owns me even more than the last one!PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 11:23 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Press Release
features high-strength silicon-aluminum alloy, four valves per cylinder, a variable intake manifold and valve timing
...and they make it sound like that technology hasn't been around for decades. Four valves per cylinder!!! Really? Did they do away with the carburetors, too?

Seemingly little known fact: MB actually did build DOHC engines, once (for the better part of the 90s, actually), until the Chrysler buyout and the cost-cutting phase that has helped them further plummet from their once respected position at the top of the reliability charts.

Though the idea of a large displacement V8 is probably appealing to many of us, the easy power gains of the supercharged motor are now gone, and this engine still isn't near the technological masterpiece that the S65 (M5/M6 powerplant) is.

Furthermore, those ridiculous cosmetic touches (to the bottom of the front fascia) aren't needed...and I'm not a fan of goofy fender badges (or badges in general). The wheels are sharp, though.
Old 04-12-06, 11:26 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The previous SL lasted 12 years I think, so if the current SL will indeed stay til 2012 as reported by that German website I saw, it will only be 9 years, a shorter cycle than the previous one already
I certainly hope so, seeing as I own one. Though it will be gone before the warranty expires, so it's not really an issue after all.

Though I'm still a bit miffed that MB just now brings out the 380 hp DOHC V8s.

By the way, the R129 roadsters still look good today, if done right (I googled this off of www.mbcoupes.com):

Not bad for a sixteen-seventeen year old design.
Old 04-12-06, 12:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well the SL styling has always been ahead of its time. Even though the current style has been around for several years, it does not look dated at all and IMO is still one of the sexiest looking vehicles on the road today.
Old 04-12-06, 01:34 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet...I need a C63 now
Old 04-12-06, 03:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
...and they make it sound like that technology hasn't been around for decades. Four valves per cylinder!!! Really? Did they do away with the carburetors, too?

MB states that because their previous engine had 3 valves per cyl (e55, e500, etc). they're just stating the changes
Old 04-12-06, 03:25 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hrm. I'd still take the CLS55 AMG over the new E's. But that's just me.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-12-06, 03:40 PM
LexFather

The older SL is a classic. I love that car. Built like a Sherman Tank too.

This new E63 is now my fav sedan, bar-none.

Old 04-12-06, 03:50 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOGOTA
I test drove the CLS 55 AMG last week, that car is insane, 500HP or something like that. Feels like a rocketship and stops on a dime.. Price is . ..

CLS.......i want it so badddddd....
Old 04-12-06, 04:48 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I didnt think this car could get any better
Old 04-12-06, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The previous SL lasted 12 years I think, so if the current SL will indeed stay til 2012 as reported by that German website I saw, it will only be 9 years, a shorter cycle than the previous one already
man, what happens with prev generation doesn't mean anything to the current one imho. 9 yrs, that's just way too long, don't you think?

towards the end of the design cycle of the previous sl, i did feel that the car was boring as hell
Old 04-13-06, 05:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man, what happens with prev generation doesn't mean anything to the current one imho. 9 yrs, that's just way too long, don't you think?

towards the end of the design cycle of the previous sl, i did feel that the car was boring as hell
Well, write to MB to complain if it's indeed true regarding 2012 .
As for the previous SL being boring towards the end, maybe from the perspective of just looking at it, but I actually test drove one the year before the current SL came out, and I still enjoyed it, it's a nice open top cruiser, that's the first time I' ve driven that car though.
Old 04-13-06, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
you could get the dodge magnum SRT-8, not as much power as the E63 but its still powerful, when u get it, tell them Ashley Looper from Cornelius NC thats works at Lake Norman Chrysler Jeep Dodge referred you, i get paid extra for that I got bills to pay
Never mind who does the referring and who gets paid. On principle alone I agree here...the Magnum SRT is a better dollar-for-dollar buy, even with its typically Dodge / Chrysler poor fit and finish and tinniness of body and hardware.