Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Announces North American Sales Channel for GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 07:47 AM
LexFather

Lightbulb Nissan Announces North American Sales Channel for GT-R

Well I WAS RIGHT AGAIN

http://www.infinitinews.com/nissan/n...12053909.shtml

NEW YORK (April 12, 2006) – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Carlos Ghosn today announced that the next generation of Nissan’s renowned GT-R performance car will be available in North America and badged as a Nissan model, consistent with its global branding. The GT-R, which was previewed in concept form as the GT-R PROTO (shown above), has not previously been offered for sale in North America. The GT-R will debut in production form at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007, followed by the U.S. and Canada in Spring 2008. More details on the launch of the GT-R will be available at a later date.

Old 04-12-06, 08:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Sweet time to start saving
Old 04-12-06, 08:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't care whether it's a Nissan or Infiniti as long as it performs.
Old 04-12-06, 09:01 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been waiting for this for so long

If its crappy , I'll just spend the money on shoes
Old 04-12-06, 11:46 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm...I wonder if this is a move to avoid the LF-A as a competitor? Will the G3xC remain Infiniti's sportiest offering in the future?
Old 04-12-06, 11:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by replica
hmm...I wonder if this is a move to avoid the LF-A as a competitor? Will the G3xC remain Infiniti's sportiest offering in the future?
The LF-A & probably the next NSX will be in a higher price range than the new GT-R anyway, plus Nissan have said they only plan to sell 1,500 GT-R per year here ? So I don't think they will have problem selling that # . . .
Old 04-12-06, 11:56 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Bravo Nissan All I have to say to Nissan on that note is

SHIFT_CAHONES This will give Nissan such a HUGE boost around the globe. They know what they are doing with this car.
Old 04-12-06, 11:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
Yup, the G will be the only sports car per say. Personally, I dont think that it matters much whether it comes out as an Infiniti or Nissan. I think the cars exclusivity will sell itself under any name...
Old 04-12-06, 12:17 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There are already rumors of an Infiniti based on the same platform as the GT-R. We'll see.
Old 04-12-06, 12:37 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Sweet, thankfully my girlfriend is a spokesmodel for a Nissan dealer, time to get the #1 Spot
Old 04-12-06, 02:02 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think they need to work out the styling on this thing.
If I'm going to dump a crap load of money into a fast car. It better look good too.
I have a feeling a lot of JDM buyers aren't gonna be happy with this one. The GT-R will no longer have the Skyline moniker. NIssan plans on introducing Infiniti to the world and they'll drop the Skyline name in favor of the globalized G name. Hence the Skyline GT-R will be gone. We'll just have NIssan GT-Rs. But hey they'll get over it. It's just a name anyway.
Hey at least we won't have lame rebadgers calling their cars Skylines anymore because hey it won't be cool to have a Skyline when the GT-R comes out.
Old 04-12-06, 04:59 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I really still think that this car should have been an infiniti in the US. Besides the fact that the GT-R has a deep nissan heritage in japan, it seems like it would be better if it was sold under the infiniti badge. I mean say a GTR owner goes in for service, what loaner car would that person get? A sentra? A versa? I mean come on. The GT-R has a japanese heritage. It has none in the US which is why it would have been a good introduction under the infiniti name. I guess thats just my opinion, but it looks like the decision has been made.
Old 04-17-06, 01:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Infiniti dealers enraged with GT-R decision

At the New York Auto Show, Nissan quietly announced that the GT-R would be sold as a Nissan rather than an Infiniti (as some had believed). The announcement may have been overshadowed but the launch of the 2007 Infiniti G35, but Infiniti dealers most definitely took notice.

According to a report by Automotive News, the Infiniti dealers were incensed by last week’s news. They “desperately wanted the GT-R as a halo for the brand,” the report said. Some enthusiasts contend that selling the GT-R as a Nissan only makes sense historically, and will keep it out of the hands of brands snobs. On the other hand, Infiniti fans argue that such an expensive car should be sold under Nissan’s luxury brand for optimal sales.

source : leftlanenews
Old 04-17-06, 01:16 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I really still think that this car should have been an infiniti in the US. Besides the fact that the GT-R has a deep nissan heritage in japan, it seems like it would be better if it was sold under the infiniti badge. I mean say a GTR owner goes in for service, what loaner car would that person get? A sentra? A versa? I mean come on. The GT-R has a japanese heritage. It has none in the US which is why it would have been a good introduction under the infiniti name. I guess thats just my opinion, but it looks like the decision has been made.
But Infiniti is trying to make itself a luxury brand. You can have performance or not, but the car DEFINITELY needs to have a sense of luxury. I don't think the GT-R will have near G35coupe luxury amenities. It will probably have more of a purpose-oriented interior rather than luxury. So other than the fact that the GT-R will be expensive, it has no reason to be classified as an Infiniti.
Old 04-17-06, 02:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Skyline GTR was always nameplated as a Nissan and it should stay that way

Quick Reply: Nissan Announces North American Sales Channel for GT-R