Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls 57K Lexus to replace seat belts -no accidents reported (merged posts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 06:34 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus recall on news this A.M.

Didn't catch what it was for however, anyone pick up on this?
Old 04-13-06, 07:42 AM
chuckler
Driver

here's the article

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/04/13/...eut/index.html

Toyota recalls 57,000 Lexus cars
The automaker will replace seat belts in front seats, which can become jammed due to a faulty part; no accidents reported.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. said on Wednesday it is recalling 11,000 Lexus cars in Japan and 46,000 overseas to fix a faulty seat belt part.

Toyota will replace seat belts in both front seats. Due to a faulty part, the seatbelts can become jammed so that they cannot be buckled, the company said.

In the U.S., some Lexus IS and GS cars from the 2006 model year involved. A total of 29,000 vehicles in the U.S. will need to be repaired.

No accidents have been reported due to the defect, it said. Until the recall repair is completed, customers can avoid the problem by releasing the seatbelt slowly.

The company did not disclose estimated recall costs.

I was debating whether to get one this year or next year. But after this i'm leaning more towards next year just so they get all the kinks out. ah well wishful thinking. haha
Old 04-13-06, 08:08 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211026

Old 04-13-06, 11:45 PM
AndrewDC
Rookie

So, how should I go about getting a free Nano out of this?
Old 04-14-06, 01:05 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Default Recall on seatbelts

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/04/13/l...ars-worldwide/

Anyone get this notice yet
Old 04-14-06, 01:20 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
lexus actually replaced my drivers seatbelt about a month after i got my car (got my car in november) because the seatbelt would jam when i would go to put it on and then there wouldnt be enough of it out for me to buckle it...and then a few hours later it would go back in and would be fine..so after 2 visits to the dealer they ordered the part and then came to me at my job and replaced it
dont know if this recall is the same as the problem i had tho

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 04-14-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-14-06, 01:42 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmer350
Funny my passenger side seatbelt jammed yesterday and it took my wife and I about 10mins to get working again. It just would come halfway out and stop, couldn't pull it out anymore and it wouldn't retract back in.
thats what mine was doing on the drivers seatbelt..lexus already replaced it for me back in december
Old 04-17-06, 12:57 PM
nhawk2
Driver School Candidate

I had the seat belt get stuck on the driver side (several times). Took a while to get the new seatbelt. Sounds just like the issue in the recall. I am asking the dealership to swap the passenger side too, but I'm guessing it will take a while b4 they have the parts for all the IS/GS cars.
In my case, when it got stuck, hitting the column at the base between the doors (from the inside) released the seat belt.
Old 04-18-06, 06:43 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Folks,

I do not see anywhere the articles state exact what model year of the GS and IS are affected by this recall. Is it for ALL GS' and IS' ??? Anyone knows?

Thanks,
Old 04-18-06, 07:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckisc
Hi Folks,

I do not see anywhere the articles state exact what model year of the GS and IS are affected by this recall. Is it for ALL GS' and IS' ??? Anyone knows?

Thanks,
They refer to Lexus in Japan, but Lexus didn't exist in Japan until August last year, so I suppose it's probably the new 3GS & 2IS they're referring to ?
Old 04-18-06, 02:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 seatbelt recall

I'm looking for the recall post but can't find it, so briefly I got a call from the Lexus dealership saying my IS350 was part of the recall for the front driver and passenger seat belts. The parts needed to be ordered which takes 1-2 weeks and then I'll need to come in for a replacement. It's official. Sorry if this is a repost.
Old 04-18-06, 02:43 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I'm looking for the recall post but can't find it, so briefly I got a call from the Lexus dealership saying my IS350 was part of the recall for the front driver and passenger seat belts. The parts needed to be ordered which takes 1-2 weeks and then I'll need to come in for a replacement. It's official. Sorry if this is a repost.
This may have been posted before but I did find this on the NHTSA site.

Looks like a lot more then just IS350's....

Make : LEXUS Model : IS Year : 2006
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V121000 Recall Date : APR 12, 2006
Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 28947
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, IF THE FRONT SEAT BELT RETRACTORS (BOTH DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER) BECOME LOCKED, THEY MAY NOT RELEASE DUE TO A COMPONENT OF THE EMERGENCY LOCKING SYSTEM. IF THE SEAT BELT IS LOCKED IN THIS CONDITION, THE OCCUPANT MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY FASTEN THE SEAT BELT.
Consequence:
AN OCCUPANT NOT PROPERLY WEARING A SEAT BELT MAY HAVE AN INCREASED RISK OF INJURY DURING A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SEAT BELT ASSEMBLIES. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.
Old 04-18-06, 02:58 PM
tjp
Rookie

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 04-18-06, 03:05 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
I got an email regarding this today also..

SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Dear : Jason

I was emailing to inform you of a special service campaign that has been issued for your vehicle. In certain early 2006 Model Year Lexus IS and GS vehicles, if the front seat belt retractors (both driver and front passenger) become locked, they may not release due to a component of the emergency locking system. If the seat belt is locked in this condition, the occupant may not be able to properly fasten the seat belt. In the worst case, an occupant not properly wearing a seat belt may have an increased risk of injury during a crash. You may reduce the likelihood of this occurring on your vehicle by pulling out the seat belt slowly until the Safety Recall repair has been performed.

If you would like us to order the replacement part for you please let me know and I will place it on order. Please specify at this time which store you will be servicing at. It will take around 1 ½ - 2 weeks for the part to arrive. Once the part is here we will contact you to schedule an appointment for the repair. I look forward to hearing from you in regards to this concern. We sincerely regret any inconveniences this condition may cause you. Thank You!
Old 04-18-06, 03:54 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep so despite the notices and stories being vague, it is now official in my mind that the IS350 most of them are likely part of this recall. At least the earlier builds.

I don't think we have a major safety issue, the problem is more that because the seatbelt doesn't function correctly at times, the driver/passenger may be forced to operate the vehicle without using the seat belts properly if at all.

My parts are on order, in 2 week, parts will call me and I'll go in for the repair. I'll take it....don't want to get locked in the seatbelt one day and have to get cut out for nothing.

Quick Reply: Toyota recalls 57K Lexus to replace seat belts -no accidents reported (merged posts)