Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus! You're behind BMW now! What are you doing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 06:46 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't stand my ****ing ipod nano......... I've had it for ~4 months and used it exactly twice. The proprietary iTunes interface bugs me to no end...
Old 04-13-06, 06:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Lexus! You're behind BMW now! What are you doing!
First, there should be a question mark in there somewhere.

Secondly, if a single stereo plug is how you rate the quality and desire of an automobile, you definately need to buy something else.
Old 04-13-06, 09:32 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doug_999
Where are you seeing this? I don't see New iPod Interface there - I only see info on the old one.
It's there. It is a pop-up wiindow and in there it is the top choice. If you have a pop-up blocker you may not see it. There is also a video that demos how it works. Fairly impressive.
Old 04-13-06, 09:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
if a single stereo plug is how you rate the quality and desire of an automobile, you definately need to buy something else.
Old 04-13-06, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
I think that going w/ a USB port would work. iPod has the Shuffle & there are other flash drive players out there like the Dell DJ Ditty. Also, flash drives are now the norm for carrying files & USB ports are pretty much on all computers ............... so I do not think that it would be that hard to make this the norm for getting music files into your car. Not to mention it would be a great convenience for when they start installing PCs in cars
usb is just an interface, how every company do their mp3 players with usb port that's different. if you talk about just usb memory stick then yes it's just memory, that would work. but for example the ipod also uses usb interface, but obviously if you get that cable and connect the ipod to a car with usb port, it won't do anything
Old 04-13-06, 11:14 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
While the iPod --> iTunes connection is pretty much a requirement (there are alternatives though) How is Apple setting the terms? I have over 27K songs and a mere 11 in AAC (DRM)

iTunes allows import in AAC (no DRM), AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3 and WAV. Any of those which could then be burned to MP3 CD's or standard audio CD's.

The only music file that cannot be burned as MP3 is AAC (DRM) files bought from the iTunes music store.
When you run an update on iTunes/IPod, like Windows update, you really don't know what they are sending you until you complete the update. It's well in their power to change the software to import AAC only and cease support for all other formats, though unlikely. You can always fallback to the previous version, but at some point it will get dated. What's to keep Apple from getting a list of your collection and handing over to RIAA?
Old 04-14-06, 12:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
First, there should be a question mark in there somewhere.

Secondly, if a single stereo plug is how you rate the quality and desire of an automobile, you definately need to buy something else.

Old 04-14-06, 05:00 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I see lots of the kiddies toting these things around. My life isn't so entrenched that I have to have some form of entertanment on hand. This may be a nice option for a generation who DL's music in this manner. For me, it's not an area that would sway me.
Old 04-14-06, 01:43 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by genearch
Forgot this..

While I believe the ipodyourbmw site has yet to be updated regarding the CD Changer.. guess what.. BMW owners have an option! Dension:

True and some say that is better than the new interface. But there are many who do not want aftermarket solutions at all due to concerns about problems you can't take to the dealer, voiding warranty etc. I personally would prefer an official dealer install of an official product but that is me.

One thing BMW gets high marks for is the fact that owners of 2002+ models can retrofit this in their cars. Lexus has always disaapointed me by not allowing retrofit of even the simplest upgrades in their new models (based on my RX experience)
Old 04-14-06, 01:46 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turkoman
It's there. It is a pop-up wiindow and in there it is the top choice. If you have a pop-up blocker you may not see it. There is also a video that demos how it works. Fairly impressive.
For those who have not been able to reach the link:

The link to the new BMW interface is there in www.ipodyourbmw.com. I noticed however that some browsers will not see the text associated with the link. Move your mouse around the top of the pop-up window where the links appear. When your cursor turns to a clickable item without text click on it and it should take you there.

I guess they are stil updating it and perhaps the sat radio thing is an error (at least most BMW onwers hope so).
Old 04-14-06, 02:26 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Turkoman
If you diss iPods, you have never really owned one.

And there are two types of people in this world:

1. Those who use iPods daily
2. Those who WILL use iPods daily
I beg to differ. Oh, yes, I certainly do.

I received an iPod this Christmas as an unexpected gift from a family member. I say unexpected because I already had an MP3 player - a now 18 month old Rio Carbon which, while perhaps not the absolute best product on the market (even at the time I bought it), is/was perfectly serviceable and has a number of very positive traits and design features.

Let's see what the iPod does well:
-Sound quality. Probably among the best mass market MP3 devices in terms of sound quality.

-Software/menu design/layout. Perhaps the best feature of the iPod and the only truly exemplary trait. Navigating the menus is simple, quick, and intuitive.

-Pleasant aesthetic design. Goes without saying.

Here's what the iPod doesn't do well:
-Atrocious battery life (8-10 hours at best!)...and it doesn't charge very quickly, either.

-Fragile construction: the touchpad is a liability, and it's irritating to have to carry the thing in a damn case to prevent damage. Not nearly as durable and worry free as other products.

-Annoying/unintuitive hardware interface. Though some like the touchpad (who knows why), I find it more for show than actual function.

-Must use iTunes to load song files. Why can't I just drag and drop MP3 files onto the unit through the Windows explorer interface?

Speaking of iTunes, once you put files onto the iPod, you can't transfer them back onto your computer. No doubt this is part of some "anti-piracy" measure. I had to get iPod Access (a third party program) to do this.

Another gripe: Apple does not include a wall charging unit. Also, the Apple adapter you can buy seperately is badly overpriced. You can get a basic USB-AC adapter with the same specifications which works perfectly well for about $6.

I'm disappointed with the iPod. The numerous flaws (particularly the mediocre battery life and fragile design) detract from what otherwise has the potential to be a brilliant product. I could live with iTunes, but toting the thing around in a solid plastic case and finding the battery dead a day or two after I recharged it is really starting to drive me up the wall.
Old 04-15-06, 02:46 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
I beg to differ. Oh, yes, I certainly do.

-Atrocious battery life (8-10 hours at best!)...and it doesn't charge very quickly, either.
Hardly atrocious and I get over 12 hours with mine. I will give you that there are other devices with longer battery life

-Fragile construction: the touchpad is a liability, and it's irritating to have to carry the thing in a damn case to prevent damage. Not nearly as durable and worry free as other products.
That is a very subjective comment. Other than surface scratches, they are no more prone to damage than any other hard drive based MP3 player.

-Annoying/unintuitive hardware interface. Though some like the touchpad (who knows why), I find it more for show than actual function.
I think great majority of users would disagree with you on this. So would Apple's sales figures.

-Must use iTunes to load song files. Why can't I just drag and drop MP3 files onto the unit through the Windows explorer interface?
This is so that you can keep our music organized. Have you tried a Dell DJ, which lets you drop songs through Windows Explorer? If you have more than 100 songs, it is a mess. And of course you know you can drag and drop you music into our iPod from ITunes if you don't like automation.

Speaking of iTunes, once you put files onto the iPod, you can't transfer them back onto your computer. No doubt this is part of some "anti-piracy" measure. I had to get iPod Access (a third party program) to do this.
If you are backing up your tunes as you should, there is never any legit reason to transfer songs from your iPod to your PC. You should spend time listening to your music not looking for ways to defeat the anti-piracy measures.

Another gripe: Apple does not include a wall charging unit. Also, the Apple adapter you can buy seperately is badly overpriced. You can get a basic USB-AC adapter with the same specifications which works perfectly well for about $6.
It used to be included but most people do not use it since it charges from the USB port of a computer. My earlier one came with it and I never used it. Also, if you have a $6 third-party solution, you do because iPod is so popular that it has so many companies making products for it. .