Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 06:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In all honestly I think the only luxury car to weigh less than before is the Jags, since they are all aluminum. At least Lexus has been pretty good keeping the weight up to a minimum in most cases. The G35 shouldn't weigh much more as I don't think the platform changed much.
there will be at least 20-30 lbs more weight in crash protection, add more sound isolation, better quality interior, more options and more equipment, it simply ads up.
Old 08-01-06, 07:31 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, it will have to weight more than before... and Infiniti did say low 5's, not 5.0.
The current G35 at its best got around 5.5 zero to sixty. I wouldnt be surprised at all if this is faster. Everything right now is speculation until we actually see the comparos. I dont think infiniti will dissappoint
Old 08-01-06, 07:57 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I think the weight gain will be at least 100 pounds. So I'm expecting about 3570 pounds for the G35 auto. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 08-01-06, 09:10 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Im very anxious to see the new G35 ride and handling. They seem to be really boasting about it saying it will kil lthe 3 series that has always been the benchmark for superb sport handling and control. Now i really want to see the new G35 and feel how it rides...and its claimed amazing performance

Theyeve even reported saying the IS doesnt stand a chance with what this car has to offer...i wish i cud have saved those articles...darnnnnnnn it.

they even claim its sound system will rival the best of the best which is out there....(dont think it can beat the new Mark Levinson system in the upcoming LS models

so far im very impressed by its design - in fact i think it looks better than their own M, both inside and out.

Overall im looking forward to this new sport sedan and also curious to see their new coupe version.

thanks
Old 08-02-06, 05:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
Im very anxious to see the new G35 ride and handling. They seem to be really boasting about it saying it will kil lthe 3 series that has always been the benchmark for superb sport handling and control. Now i really want to see the new G35 and feel how it rides...and its claimed amazing performance

Theyeve even reported saying the IS doesnt stand a chance with what this car has to offer...i wish i cud have saved those articles...darnnnnnnn it.

they even claim its sound system will rival the best of the best which is out there....(dont think it can beat the new Mark Levinson system in the upcoming LS models

so far im very impressed by its design - in fact i think it looks better than their own M, both inside and out.

Overall im looking forward to this new sport sedan and also curious to see their new coupe version.

thanks
heh, of course... So far their press release is not killing anything :-).
Old 08-02-06, 08:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

keep in mind if the previous VQ could crawl from 260 to 298/300 hp with small changes imagine what this new one can do starting off at 306 hp, easily crawl up to 350 hp in the future probably
Old 08-02-06, 08:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
keep in mind if the previous VQ could crawl from 260 to 298/300 hp with small changes imagine what this new one can do starting off at 306 hp, easily crawl up to 350 hp in the future probably
Yeah, but is it a whole new engine, or further tuned VQ? AFAIK, they still dont have direct injection and the engine is essentially the same old VQ. I doubt it could be tuned much further.
Old 08-02-06, 10:13 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

its claimed to be a new generation as 80% of the parts are new as well as the construction
its a very similar engine from before though, just breathing a lot better and tuned higher.
off the floor i dont think the new G will have trouble keeping up with the IS350.
the fact that they're dropping this engine into the 350Z immidiately is good news as well.
There will likely be a lot of parts available for the engine to get even more power.

Based on people's experiences with the 275hp nonrevup and 293hp revup engine, I look for the new engine to output 260hp on the ground off the floor, and be relatively easy (basic i/p/e) to get to the 280whp mark, with an upper limit (i/p/h/e+ecu) somewhere near ~310whp (~360hp sae)

Obviously the new 3 series has a huge advantage though, when it comes to tuning ability....
Old 08-02-06, 11:12 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Some new pics:

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/...?topicID=75327
Old 08-02-06, 01:42 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Looks even better in those pics
Old 08-02-06, 01:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but is it a whole new engine, or further tuned VQ? AFAIK, they still dont have direct injection and the engine is essentially the same old VQ. I doubt it could be tuned much further.
keep in mind this is 306 SAE rated, the old 298/300 hp VQ was not SAE rated. I believe they SAE tested the old VQ and it dropped to around 275 SAE rated, now with the updated parts its 306. I bet wit the old rating system this new VQ would easily be 330+ hp. The new VQ has equal intake lengths (finally, old one didnt), 1000 higher redline. Because of the higher redline stronger internals and a quicker valvetrain is installed. If this got direct injection it would be even more powerful. Mileage is decent 19/26, IS350 is 21/28 I believe. But the new VQ really needs a 6 speed auto, still has a 5 speed

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-02-06 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 04:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
keep in mind this is 306 SAE rated, the old 298/300 hp VQ was not SAE rated. I believe they SAE tested the old VQ and it dropped to around 275 SAE rated, now with the updated parts its 306. I bet wit the old rating system this new VQ would easily be 330+ hp. The new VQ has equal intake lengths (finally, old one didnt), 1000 higher redline. Because of the higher redline stronger internals and a quicker valvetrain is installed. If this got direct injection it would be even more powerful. Mileage is decent 19/26, IS350 is 21/28 I believe. But the new VQ really needs a 6 speed auto, still has a 5 speed
since they are all SAE rated, it is an level field... 335i and IS350 would have been rated 330+ as well according to your projections...
Old 08-04-06, 11:09 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Copy pasted from g35driver

--------------------------------------------

Infiniti's In-Car Hard Drive
REVIEW DATE: 31-JUL-2006
By Bill Howard

Add Infiniti to the ranks of automakers with a hard disk in the dash for both navigation data and music storage. It's part of the optional Bose Studio on Wheels sound system, which comes in the new G35 arriving this fall.

SLIDESHOW (6)

Slideshow | All Shots

Although other automakers have chosen DVD-Audio with discrete five-plus-channel simulated sound (Acura), or simulated sound such as the Logic7 system (BMWs and Audis), Nissan is returning to good old stereo with the G35 sedan (albeit with 10 speakers).

To show just how lifelike the music can be, Bose and Infiniti brought a prototype G35 into the Avatar recording studio in New York City, along with five of New York's best jazz musicians, for a unique comparison: live musicians compared with the same material played back in-car. There were, of course, differences, but the sound was amazingly lifelike.

What about other musical material? Listening closely, I could hear Linda Ronstadt take a breath just before beginning "Skylark." And the pounding bass from 50 Cent's "In Da Club" came through not just as music but also as physical pressure on my chest. Hip-hop fans won't need to bother with aftermarket speakers on this car.

The G35 is a top-tier compact sport sedan. Its predecessor bested the BMW 330i in some reviews, then the 3 Series came along to recapture the crown. This fall is Infiniti's chance to shine once again, and Studio on Wheels isn't the only tech tool in the Infiniti arsenal.

The G35 also has a hard disk built into the dash. Most of its 30GB is allocated to data for a next-generation Xanavi navigation system (Nissan/Infiniti's in-house brand) and system overhead, but 9.5GB is set aside for ripping music, similar to MyGig in the three new Chrysler vehicles arriving this summer and fall. The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class also has a hard disk onboard, but only for navigation; same with the Lexus LS460, due this fall.

The 7-inch LCD is one of the industry's best, and it's a key reason we named its big brother M35/M45, the overall winner in our first Digital Drive awards. Infiniti does the best job in the industry of packaging entertainment, climate control, and audio information on a single display. Critics say this is information overload. Maybe they're just jealous.

The G25 will also have a line-in jack for music players and a CompactFlash card slot. An iPod-specific adapter won't be available until 2008, Infiniti says. And Infiniti is one of the few remaining automakers to offer buyers a choice of either Sirius or XM satellite radio without forcing them to buy an external dash-mount device.

Nissan hasn't announced pricing for the car or options yet, but we expect that even with a more powerful V6 engine, the base price should remain around $31,000. High-end audio upgrades are typically $1,000 to $1,500, and twice that when part of a technology package with navigation.
Old 08-04-06, 01:24 PM
LexFather

I don't understand why they would put all the effort into the sound system and it still uses Bose speakers.

Looks very good on paper, a lot of hardware.

Old 08-06-06, 12:33 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Studio on Wheels": Infiniti Fights Competition With Super Sonic 2007 G35

The 2007 Infiniti G35 comes with an optional stereo system aiming to better the best home systems.

nside the 2007 Infiniti G35.

A look at the console of the symphonic Infiniti G35.

Date posted: 08-05-2006

NEW YORK — The 2007 Infiniti G35 will debut this fall with an optional Bose stereo audio system designed by the two companies with the goal of outperforming every other factory-installed car audio system, found in any car at any price.

Named "Studio on Wheels," this new car audio system was modeled after a superlative two-channel home stereo system that cost more than $33,000 to assemble — as much as the entire car — using components such as "electrostatic tower" speakers priced at $10,000 a pair and a $4,000 CD player, said Thomas Crahan, regional product manager for the Infiniti G35 at Infiniti North America in Gardena, California.

Like this home system, Crahan says, the Studio on Wheels system is capable of reproducing sounds in a wider frequency range than most audio systems, and it is designed to "stage" the sound entirely from the front.

Crahan demonstrated the system last month at a cocktail reception for journalists in New York, hosted by Infiniti and Bose. A jazz quintet played live, and then the journalists were invited into the car to hear a recording of the same music played by the same band through the Studio on Wheels system.

The system incorporates audio components and architecture never before used in a car: a CD player with a 24-bit digital audio converter (DAC) chipset from Burr-Brown, a high-end audiophile brand; Burr-Brown op-amplifiers in the head unit; and, in each front door, a set of 3 speakers that includes a 10-inch woofer for bass as well as a tweeter and a midrange speaker.

"It's a very different approach" to car audio, Crahan says.

To date, Infiniti has not planned to offer the new sound system as a stand-alone option; it is expected to be offered only in an optional "premium package" in the 2007 G35. The price of this package has not been announced yet, but an Infiniti spokesperson says it is expected to be similar to the price of the premium package offered with the current G35 — which ranges from $3,150 to $3,500.

By comparison, in some competitively priced vehicles from other automakers, premium stereo audio systems are available either as stand-alone options or embedded in packages. For example, in the 2006 Chrysler 300, a premium Boston Acoustics stereo audio system is available as a $635 option or is standard in the Heritage model of the vehicle. Volvo charges $995 for the premium stereo audio system with Dolby Pro Logic II in the 2007 S60 T5 or includes it in the $1,595 "Sport Package" for the S60 2.5T and 2.5T AWD — down from $1,200 for the stand-alone option in all 2006 S60 models. Meanwhile, in the 2007 Audi A4, a premium Bose stereo audio system costs $1,000 in an "audio package" with Sirius satellite radio, or the same audio system can be bundled with a navigation system for a package price of $2,100.

The 2007 Volvo S60 and 2007 Audi A4 models are at dealerships now.

The 2007 Infiniti G35 is expected to be at dealerships in November.

What this means to you: Stereos are major selling points as cars turn into homes away from home. And it appears Infiniti is thinking it can win some people over with a truly high-end offering.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116406#2

Quick Reply: New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)