Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 04:27 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think the front kinda looks like the new LS460...but overall i think it looks great
Old 04-15-06, 04:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid2
I'll choose the g over the 3 series anyday.
If you just wanna look at it, I'd call it a toss up, but for driving,nothing beats a Bimmer in the blue collar price tag. ...........and that's coming from someone who has had almost everything and currently 3 lexi in the driveway.
Old 04-15-06, 06:30 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i said it in the previous thread and i'll say it again; this car just isn't doing it for me. i showed some pictures to my friend the other day and he mistakened it for a buick. at first i was like ehh, no. but i can see where he is coming from. the design is very bulbous-y, very large, and very flabby, from the huge bumper to the sagging character line to the rather non-descript front. look at the bmw 3-er: a nice, taut swash on the side, bold kidney grille with a U shape up front. look at the lexus: triangular fog lamps, clean and muscular body panelling, coupe-like profile. the G exterior looks plain and unoriginal in comparison.

moving to the inside, it has grown on me a bit, but the black plastic buttons embedded in silver still make it look cheap to my eyes. the interior as a whole would not look out of place in a nissan... and that alone should raise up warning flags. add to that pretty garish blue indiglo-type backlighting for the clock and start button... i just can't like this car.

its price and its space will certainly attract customers though. not to mention its power. i find it rather ironic, though, that the design seems to be geared towards older people, yet the performance is not.
Old 04-15-06, 07:33 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh.. the G35 sedan never did it for me. *blech* The coupe ok.. sedan .... no... This new one seems like they are bringing back the old J30...

I dont understand why the M could look pretty decent and this car AGAIN is *blech*.

Oh well.. somebody design a bodykit to make this sucker look better.
Old 04-15-06, 08:29 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Another disappointing thing is the fact that Nissan/Infiniti is still using the older SAE hp rating which is purely a marketing gimmick so that they can claim 300+ hp.

By Infiniti sticking to the old SAE hp rating, I expect more of the same, ie. hp ratings that sound great on paper, but somewhat disappointing in real world performance.
The 2007 G35 (300+ hp), as well as the 2007 V6 Altima (265+ hp), use the new revised SAE standards (SAE, revised August 2004).
Old 04-15-06, 08:56 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

Other stuff that I'm concerned about is the fact that Infiniti is touting a softer power curve combined w/ a 7.5K redline. Hey Infiniti, how about building a car with a broad useable power curve and tuning the accelerator pedal to give linear power delivery? This way, the driver has a choice of how smooth or violent they want their acceleration. Another disappointing thing is the fact that Nissan/Infiniti is still using the older SAE hp rating which is purely a marketing gimmick so that they can claim 300+ hp. I have no doubt this new G35 will be no faster than any of the previous G35s, 300ZXs, Altimas, etc. It's funny how basically all of these VQ35 equipped cars have all run 0-60s in about the high 5s-low 6s and 1/4 miles in the mid-low 14s throughout all of these years despite having hp ratings of 240 all the way up to 300 hp. The 04 260 hp G is just as quick as the 280 hp coupe or the 298 hp 05+ coupes and sedans. Very disappointing.
all new engines are rated on the new SAE standard.

No question it will be much more of a driver's car than the IS350. The new M45 is already widely considered a superior vehicle to the GS, I see the new G35 surpassing the IS350 in terms of performance.

Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder
G35/M45

two platforms I think are superior to their Toyota competitors.
Old 04-15-06, 09:06 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Did you guys see this? I thought it was kind of cool - you can upgrade the size of the HDD too. Someone over on g35driver.com asked an Infiniti engineer about why they didn't do ipod integration (he mentioned they might in '08), but his reasoning was they were concerned about compressed files, so they wanted customers to compress via their burr brown DACs. As a self-procliamed 'audio-guy', I think this is a really cool approach. It may not sit well with ipod users (I love mine too!), but I think from an audio standpoint it makes a lot of sense. Put a nice big HDD in there and rip your entire collection to it and you've basically got a really nice sounding ipod integrated into the car.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/13/infiniti_g35/

Also as mentioned there are RCA's anyway, so a simple mini-jack to RCA will let you play ipods anyway.
Old 04-15-06, 10:54 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Confusion on SAE Ratings Standards

The G35 is on the NEW standards. In reality, the original 260 hp sedan motor was already putting out around 275-280 hp. When they "upped" it to 280 all they were really doing is just not sandbagging on the numbers anymore. The 298 hp engine is the big question mark. I forget what the result of dyno analysis were, but even if it had 298 hp I said back in the day that I doubt it would be any quicker because they traded off peak torque (270 lb-ft down to 260 lb-ft) to achieve that. A little bit of extra top-end torque to give you 10-20 hp in a small range of about 1000 rpm up top will NOT make up for 10 lb-ft of torque lost from idle to 5000 rpm. You lose significant chunks of power area under the curve at RPMs you use daily in favor of a small bit of power area up top that you do not use daily.

It looks good on paper though, and therefore it sells.
Old 04-15-06, 11:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Saw the G35 in person today......It looks OK, Infiniti def decided to play it safe. I feel that from the rear, it would be hard to say that this car was even updated. It did not draw much of a crowd at the show. Everyone was trying to see the current G35coupe, which is still very popular.

Im not sure why Infiniti didnt bring the coupe concept to NYC. That is the only car in their lineup that turns heads and made people notice their brand.
Old 04-15-06, 11:52 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Anyone know when we might see pics of the new coupe? The sedan is ok, but I am really interested to see what they do to the coupe...
Old 04-16-06, 12:09 AM
AlterZgo
Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
SteVTEC - Thanks for the link regarding the SAE Aug 04/J1394 hp rating standard. Yet another great post! I was confused as I thought J1394 was the new standard and since Infiniti was quoting SAE 8/04, they were using the old standard. I guess the new and old standards are both J1394, but one is 6/95 and the newer and more realistic hp rating is version 8/04. I stand corrected.

Well, I feel a little better now about Infiniti being able to match or beat the IS350's acceleration stats. Surely with a manual transmission, they should be able to, but I'm still a bit worried about Infiniti's comments regarding the more gradual power delivery.

To a lesser degree, I'm still concerned about gas mileage on the new G. The original VQ30 motor had a great combination of power, smoothness, and gas mileage for its time. As it morphed into the VQ35, the engine became much more powerful, but harsher and significantly less fuel efficient. Let's hope the revised VQ motor is able to recapture the smoothness and efficiency of the original VQ30.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 04-16-06 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-16-06, 12:20 AM
AlterZgo
Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The 298 hp engine is the big question mark. I forget what the result of dyno analysis were, but even if it had 298 hp I said back in the day that I doubt it would be any quicker because they traded off peak torque (270 lb-ft down to 260 lb-ft) to achieve that. A little bit of extra top-end torque to give you 10-20 hp in a small range of about 1000 rpm up top will NOT make up for 10 lb-ft of torque lost from idle to 5000 rpm. You lose significant chunks of power area under the curve at RPMs you use daily in favor of a small bit of power area up top that you do not use daily.
So true. It's kinda reminiscent of when Nissan's VQ30 went from 190 hp to 222 hp. Despite gaining 32 hp, the 222 hp Maxima was barely quicker than the 190 hp Maxima.

I don't know why Nissan felt it needed to overrate the hp on some of their cars. Personally, I think it's better if a car company underrates their motors. The 190 hp Maxima and 140 hp Sentra SE-R had some very impressive performance stats. OTOH the 340 hp Q45 was about as quick as the 290 hp LS430 and the LS actually weighed about 100-200 lbs more than the Q! It was a huge fiasco when Infiniti published unrealistic 0-60 quotes in their Q45 ads which the Q could never hope to attain.
Old 04-16-06, 05:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Back on topic about the G35 please, there are plenty of other threads to discuss SAE ratings for other models.
Old 04-16-06, 07:46 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

So no one else is psyched about the Burr Brown DACs, huh? I guess I'll just go huge my tube amp then!
Old 04-16-06, 08:41 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up I like it

Good looking car. Great for Infiniti and I'm looking forward to the new G coupe. I do love the CLS headlights on this car. The interior looks way better even with the "busy" dash

Quick Reply: New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)