Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 12:40 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody else mystified as to how large this car looks?
Old 06-22-06, 01:18 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Cleopatra, this thing looks amazing (in black)
You gota give credit where it’s due, they got a winner on their hand (or maybe it’s the color , coz I honestly thought it looked unattractive and bulbous when I saw the launch pictures in silver)
Another thing, I agree the front really does look like a Mercedes Benz CLS.
Old 06-22-06, 04:56 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Cars always look bigger in pictures. I'm still only concerned about the engine. If this thing turns out to be a "no torque until 6000 rpm honda-esque screamer" then meh. The IS350/335i both have gobs of torque down low, so the G35's going to need full or near full torque below 2500 to compete.
Old 06-22-06, 05:40 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
He needs to quit standing around being proud of this car and go fix the languishing Nissan lineup.

Case in Point: http://www.nissanusa.com/sentra07/

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 06-22-06 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-22-06, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

They've done a nice job of getting rid of those yellowish-orange-lit gauges, which I've never liked, and substituting some nice red, white, and blue ones, Honda / Acura style. The dash and door panels, IMO, could use some wood trim, though...the general trim level is too stark-looking.
And that **** in the center of the dash? .........well, I won't get into that.
Old 06-22-06, 06:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Cars always look bigger in pictures. I'm still only concerned about the engine. If this thing turns out to be a "no torque until 6000 rpm honda-esque screamer" then meh. The IS350/335i both have gobs of torque down low, so the G35's going to need full or near full torque below 2500 to compete.
VQ engine has been making 260+ torque for quite some time
Old 06-22-06, 06:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
The G35 has never been what I would call small by any standards. I had an IS300 when I reviewed the first G35 several years ago and the G35 even then looked larger than the IS, especially in the back seat.
Old 06-22-06, 06:54 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They've done a nice job of getting rid of those yellowish-orange-lit gauges, which I've never liked, and substituting some nice red, white, and blue ones, Honda / Acura style. The dash and door panels, IMO, could use some wood trim, though...the general trim level is too stark-looking.
And that **** in the center of the dash? .........well, I won't get into that.
Looks like they are using quite a bit of wood on the doors. Overall, probably more wood than the IS.

Although, I think wood goes better with a light interior, and aluminum goes better with a dark interior.

------------------

Car definitely looks wider than before, which is a good thing.
Old 06-22-06, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK...I was going by the posted interior pictures...I have not actually seen the car for myself.

Several companies are doing that now.....silver trim with the dark gray or black interiors, wood-trim with the beige interiors.
Old 06-22-06, 07:47 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK...I was going by the posted interior pictures...I have not actually seen the car for myself.

Several companies are doing that now.....silver trim with the dark gray or black interiors, wood-trim with the beige interiors.
I was just going by the posted scans on p.4 also. Just making the observation that the G35 seems to kill more trees than the IS. The IS only has wood in the shifter area and the switch-plate areas, while the G35 has wood in the shifter area, console area, above the glovebox, and a strip running across the doors.

I'm a fan of wood, others may not care at all. But the black interior with dark wood makes the whole interior look kind of gloomy.

Overall, the interior is a lot better than the current gen.

One thing I'm glad they kept is that the gauges move with the tilt steering wheel. Which is always ergonomically superior to the tilt wheel only moving by itself, which is the setup in almost all other cars.
Old 06-22-06, 08:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
The car is huge for its class. World cars like the 3/C/IS/A4 define the size in the segment, long wheelbase about uner 180 inches in length. It makes for great manuvering, decent size inside and good parking.
The skyline/G35 is currently 186 inches long, which is almost as long as the old GS/E/5 series. Its very large for its class Not sure if this new one is the same size or larger.

I think it looks nice but for it doesn't look "new" at all and it doesn't look better than cars currently sold, the 3, IS, A4, C-class or even cars like the Volvo S60. But the sedan was never the looker, the coupe is and can't wait to see the production version of that car

Old 06-22-06, 08:13 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

2007 G35 is about 7 inches longer and 5 inches longer wheelbase than the IS350. Width and height are about the same.
Old 06-22-06, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The car is huge for its class. World cars like the 3/C/IS/A4 define the size in the segment, long wheelbase about uner 180 inches in length. It makes for great manuvering, decent size inside and good parking.
The skyline/G35 is currently 186 inches long, which is almost as long as the old GS/E/5 series. Its very large for its class Not sure if this new one is the same size or larger.

I think it looks nice but for it doesn't look "new" at all and it doesn't look better than cars currently sold, the 3, IS, A4, C-class or even cars like the Volvo S60. But the sedan was never the looker, the coupe is and can't wait to see the production version of that car
I agree with you on the coupe...it always has been a looker, at least on the outside. Infiniti, inexplicatively, has not yet offered an AWD G35X coupe....though the people at the DC Auto Show said it was under consideration.
Old 06-22-06, 08:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
2007 G35 is about 7 inches longer and 5 inches longer wheelbase than the IS350. Width and height are about the same.
LOL, I don't think the G35 sedan will be a direct competitor of the IS250/350 sedan, which many probably cross-shop with the G35 coupe.
The IS350 coupe(non-convertible), if they make one, will probably compete against the IS350 sedan for some buyers, as well as other coupes in it's class.
Old 06-22-06, 08:26 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
LOL, I don't think the G35 sedan will be a direct competitor of the IS250/350 sedan, which many probably cross-shop with the G35 coupe.
The IS350 coupe(non-convertible), if they make one, will probably compete against the IS350 sedan for some buyers, as well as other coupes in it's class.
Even though the G35 sedan is half a foot longer, I think that it will still be more of a primary competitor to the IS sedan than the G35 Coupe. Many people simply shop only sedans (even if there is little legroom in the back) due to ease of ingress/egress and child-seat considerations.

Quick Reply: New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)