Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 12:10 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
VQ engine has been making 260+ torque for quite some time
Right. I've owned 4 cars now with the VQ. What I'm saying is that by continuing to increase the HP torque *may* go down (when they went from 280 to 290 the torque went down 10lb/ft), not only that but peak torque is not available under ~4000rpm. With the new engine having a redline in the 7.5k area (compared to the current 6.5k), it stands to reason that the peak torque might be in an even higher RPM range. All I was saying is that if the car wants to compete with the 335/350 in terms of engine power it's going to need a lot of torque down low.

Of course we all know it isn't all about engine power, but typically Infiniti has used the power to help sway buyers that wanted a better interior or better styling. I personally think that even though this car looks good, and the interior is vastly improved, AND it will likely be much cheaper than a 350/335, it's still going to need to be very close in engine power to compare favorably.

As for who is competing with what, the IS, though woefully small in the back, is still going to be cross-shopped heavily with the G35. They're both entry level luxury sports sedans, and are both the primary competitors (along with the C-class, and a couple others) of the 3-series. I think that generally if you're shopping for a couple you're shopping for a coupe, and if you're shopping for a sedan...well you get the idea.
Old 06-22-06, 12:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
That car will be worth 20k in the used car market in 2 yrs just like the curent g35. Just might pick one up then
Thats an interesting comment because I have seen the resale value of G35s to be pretty good. In a lot of instances I have seen their value to be higher than that of the IS300...
Old 06-22-06, 01:05 PM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

something interesting for you.

buy outs on FX35 after 36month lease are in general 2-3.5K lower then actual market price
Old 06-22-06, 01:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Thats an interesting comment because I have seen the resale value of G35s to be pretty good. In a lot of instances I have seen their value to be higher than that of the IS300...
Coupe value is high, sedan is about average. You can buy a 03 G35 sedan for the same price as a 01 IS 300.

I think PRICE will have a lot to do with the sedans sales as Infiniti fights to keep waning momentum, what is going to happen is you can get a 300hp+ G35 sedan for the same price as a 206hp IS 250 and 215hp 325. A lot of people would prefer the power for the price instead of top fit and finish, luxury and prestige. Its a convincing arguement for many.

IS 350s and 330 sedans pretty much START in price where the G35 ends. IS and 330s can hit over 45k with options, you can't get a G35 near 40k.

Old 06-22-06, 01:37 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Right. Of course it'll still be compared to the IS350/330i/335 in mags, so it'll be important for the G35 to compare favorably to the more expensive cars from BMW and Lexus, since Infiniti still has a lot of "proving" to do. If it can, like the last G35 did with the BMW 330i, etc... then it'll do fine.

As for fit and finish, I have my doubts too, but I'm willing to at least give it a fair shake. The pics look nice, so who knows; it may be better than the BMW interior (which is pretty spartan).

re: resale, both G's are above average in resale, the coupe obviously being the better of the two. 2-year residuals on both are over 55% (coupe is nearer to 58-59%). I think that's on par with most Lexus models right now, and just a bit lower than the 3-series (which hovers around 62%). I was offered comparably similar resale on my G sedan to my 2002 330i when I put down a deposit on our next car (although I think the G has a bit higher resale in Canada percentage wise). Anyway.....
Old 06-22-06, 02:03 PM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

fit and finish you say.
well like i said i just switched from 03 FX35 to 06 FX35(06 was updated)
there is a HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEE difference in fit and finish
03 felt like my friends murano 06 is totaly different much better qualyti of materials, much better leather, the blinker and wipers switches feel totaly different (luxury) and much much more.

now if update is that good i can imageine how the whole new generation of G35 will be in "fit and finish" department.
Old 06-22-06, 02:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they really need to make an G45 Coupe 6 speed that would be really fun
Old 06-22-06, 02:25 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300
fit and finish you say.
well like i said i just switched from 03 FX35 to 06 FX35(06 was updated)
there is a HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEE difference in fit and finish
03 felt like my friends murano 06 is totaly different much better qualyti of materials, much better leather, the blinker and wipers switches feel totaly different (luxury) and much much more.

now if update is that good i can imageine how the whole new generation of G35 will be in "fit and finish" department.
I agree with you. The fit and finish of Infinitis these days are a lot better than what it was 3 years ago.

Anyway, the 2007 G35 fixes all the main faults of the current gen. The interior seems to have improved in all areas... design, colors, ergonomics and quality. The exterior is no longer awkward and actually looks pretty good. The stereo, from what I've read, should be much better.

Power was never an issue with the G35, and 300+ hp should be competitive with anything else.

Main issue will probably be mpg, as it'll probably get about 2 or 3 mpg less than the competition. But then it'll undercut the competition in price by several thousand, which will buy you lots of gas.
Old 06-22-06, 03:15 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Hot!

Simple as that.

This car appears to me to be the nicest looking sedan in it's class!

Great job Infiniti/Nissan!
Old 06-22-06, 03:26 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrock65
I agree with you. The fit and finish of Infinitis these days are a lot better than what it was 3 years ago.

Anyway, the 2007 G35 fixes all the main faults of the current gen. The interior seems to have improved in all areas... design, colors, ergonomics and quality. The exterior is no longer awkward and actually looks pretty good. The stereo, from what I've read, should be much better.

Power was never an issue with the G35, and 300+ hp should be competitive with anything else.

Main issue will probably be mpg, as it'll probably get about 2 or 3 mpg less than the competition. But then it'll undercut the competition in price by several thousand, which will buy you lots of gas.
I think I remember reading somewhere that they were trying to make the car more fuel efficient. Not sure how or through what (engine, valve controls, gearing etc).
Old 06-22-06, 03:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wood trim looks nice. After seeing it in person I'm still not that impressed. Still think they could have done A LOT more with the new model instead of rounding it out and adding some new trim. For some reason I still think it looks to much like its lesser Nissan models.

I agree with those who said that it is now on par with the other models in its class style wise.
Old 06-22-06, 04:28 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Coupe value is high, sedan is about average. You can buy a 03 G35 sedan for the same price as a 01 IS 300.

I think PRICE will have a lot to do with the sedans sales as Infiniti fights to keep waning momentum, what is going to happen is you can get a 300hp+ G35 sedan for the same price as a 206hp IS 250 and 215hp 325. A lot of people would prefer the power for the price instead of top fit and finish, luxury and prestige. Its a convincing arguement for many.

IS 350s and 330 sedans pretty much START in price where the G35 ends. IS and 330s can hit over 45k with options, you can't get a G35 near 40k.
There must be a large resale value difference from West Coast to East Coast/South East. I can look on craigslist, autotrader, etc and find '01 IS300s for around way under $20k. In fact, only one I was was above $20k, majority were around $15.5-17.5. '03 G35s I find maybe 2 or 3 under $20k while most are around $22-$25k. This is just my observation.

The two seem to have similar resale values from what Ive seen, The G35 has a broader range in prices though, but in comparing '03s to '03s models both seem to average around $24.5-$25k.
Old 06-22-06, 04:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
There must be a large resale value difference from West Coast to East Coast/South East. I can look on craigslist, autotrader, etc and find '01 IS300s for around way under $20k. In fact, only one I was was above $20k, majority were around $15.5-17.5. '03 G35s I find maybe 2 or 3 under $20k while most are around $22-$25k. This is just my observation.

The two seem to have similar resale values from what Ive seen, The G35 has a broader range in prices though, but in comparing '03s to '03s models both seem to average around $24.5-$25k.
We are talking average here. Hell I've seen high mileage ISs going for 12k. On avg though, carmax, autotrader, online, the G35 sedan resale is only okay, the coupes is much better. The IS IMO is holding value on being a "Lexus" b/c the new IS kills the old IS in every department.

I'll say it again, I was hoping for more and trying to be class leading in EVERYTHING, not just power. That is what makes the new IS and the class leading 3 so incredible, they battle it out in EVERY department and they both are arguably the best or one of the best in everything (except the IS rear seat room lol).

This "new" G35 looks like the old one too much and like other Nissans too much in pictures. Go to the magazine's online sites they say the same thing "they say all new but it doesn't look it".

Not sure they tried hard enough here. And a 5 speed auto still? C'mon

Old 06-22-06, 05:27 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Well I hate to say it (actually not really), but at least it'll have a manual gearbox available.

I think it will compete very well against the IS and 3, that said, I'm ready for another turbo so off to BMW I go.
Old 06-22-06, 05:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
Well I hate to say it (actually not really), but at least it'll have a manual gearbox available.

I think it will compete very well against the IS and 3, that said, I'm ready for another turbo so off to BMW I go.
I think it will compete well too

Quick Reply: New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)