Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 11:39 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)

I found this images at Korea Yahoo!
Old 04-14-06, 11:50 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Repost: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&page=1&pp=15
Old 04-15-06, 12:20 AM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2007 Infiniti G35 is better looking than the current G35, but I don't think it holds up well against the 2006 Lexus IS when it comes to styling. I don't even think it holds up well to the 2006 Acura TL or 2006 BMW 3 Series. The 2007 G35 has turned into a mini 2006 Infiniti M35 / M45. No originality at all.
Old 04-15-06, 01:00 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear looks so cute.
The front is agressively designed and than you get to the rear and it's wearing a mask. The rear is all bubbley.
Old 04-15-06, 08:12 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

I like it, subtle improvement over the current one. Looks liked they cleaned up the interior nicely too, which was really the only area I thought the current one was lacking a bit (the steering column adjustment reminded me way too much of my old 1986 Nissan pick-up truck..).
Old 04-15-06, 08:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Members I have deleted several off topic or rude comments.

This post will be heavily moderated from this point forward and those that post in it should choose their wording carefully. I will use the temporary ban liberally here so if you suddenly cannot access the forum, check your PM when you return after a period if 1 day, 1 week or 1 month depending on the your comments for a message. If you rejoin during the suspension period you will be permanently banned.

Keep posted topics on this vehicle only and not on the people in the thread, past threads or for that matter Nissan's relationship with Renault. There is no need to insult others to discuss this fine new car.

Comparison with other makes and models is certainly OK, but please be factual and respect the opinions of others. You don't have to agree with them, but I expect you to be polite in your disagreement.

I'm tired of the childish BS on all of these other-brand threads and it will stop.
Old 04-15-06, 08:21 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the tail lights and rear end onteh first shot. IMO, it goes downhill in other rear-biased shots. Starts to look too soft. Maybe I see a little RL in it?

Wheels look like they were stolen straight off the GS450h (not quite, but certainly close). Look good on the GS, but not so good here.

Front end is a dis-appointment. It's the coupe nose crafted onto the sedan. Where's the innovation, Infiniti? How about moving the design forward a bit?! Plus, since we're already familiar with that nose, it already looks dated.

The side view (biased towards the rear) looks like its got some 5-series in it. I like it. Long nose. Short rear deck. Aggressive, until I see the side shot biased towards the nose. That one is terrible. I also see the new GS C pillar.

My first thought on the new interior is a thumbs-up and that the nav set-up is better than the M/Q (placement of the twisty dial looks awfully difficult on the M/Q), but I've since changed my mind. It's not different or different enough on the new G! I didn't realize how much I hate the orange lights on the current M until I saw this color scheme on the gauges. This is nice, but doesn't the RL use blue dials on the gauges, too?!.

My conclusion: Nice upgrade from current. Nothing evolutionary here, in fact it overtly steals design cues from loads of automobiles without bringing anything new to the party as a "thank you" to them (read: rip-off). Most car makers borrow from other outfits, but this looks like they took it eight steps too far.

IMHO, if Infiniti keeps the price point, it'll continue to be a nice mover for them.

Nice enough. Far from great.
Old 04-15-06, 09:56 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was anyone here actually able to see this car in person at the auto show? Im curious what they would have to say about it being able to see it in person and in the pics we're looking at.
Old 04-15-06, 12:07 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I was reading in the g35 forums and some acura forums and the people who did go to the autoshow said that the car looks way better in person. The studio shots from infiniti news dont capture the fine lines of the car. If you look on www.infiniti.com/allnewg , you can see all the nice changes. As car and driver stated, this car shares no same sheet metal from the outgoing g35 sedan. The VQ has been redone up to 80%. The interior looks great. In car and drivers video, they said all meterials are soft to touch and is very well puit together. The cars height was shortened and was widened. I believe this car will sell very well and will be on top of the IS. Moreso when the G coupe comes out in competition to the IS coupe. This of course is judging by the G coupe concept and the shots ive seen of the IS. The IS is a nice car, but it is too small to be a family sedan imo. Also, most people who saw the initial pictures didnt like the upgraded looks so much, but with all the vids and new pictures of the car, peoples opinions are changing. There was a similar reaction to the IS as well as the 3.

Also, so what if the G looks similar to the M. It seems all lexus vehicles with the current L finesse all look similar from the front. Very similar look. This is what infiniti is doing as well. Different size grilles and somewhat different headlights. It identifies the car as infiniti as the styling by lexus identifies the cars as lexus.
Old 04-15-06, 12:30 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Very good post!

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I was reading in the g35 forums and some acura forums and the people who did go to the autoshow said that the car looks way better in person. The studio shots from infiniti news dont capture the fine lines of the car. If you look on www.infiniti.com/allnewg , you can see all the nice changes. As car and driver stated, this car shares no same sheet metal from the outgoing g35 sedan. The VQ has been redone up to 80%. The interior looks great. In car and drivers video, they said all meterials are soft to touch and is very well puit together. The cars height was shortened and was widened. I believe this car will sell very well and will be on top of the IS. Moreso when the G coupe comes out in competition to the IS coupe. This of course is judging by the G coupe concept and the shots ive seen of the IS. The IS is a nice car, but it is too small to be a family sedan imo. Also, most people who saw the initial pictures didnt like the upgraded looks so much, but with all the vids and new pictures of the car, peoples opinions are changing. There was a similar reaction to the IS as well as the 3.

Also, so what if the G looks similar to the M. It seems all lexus vehicles with the current L finesse all look similar from the front. Very similar look. This is what infiniti is doing as well. Different size grilles and somewhat different headlights. It identifies the car as infiniti as the styling by lexus identifies the cars as lexus.
Old 04-15-06, 01:25 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
This is one of those rare cases where the real world pics look better than the studio shots.
Apparently you haven't being looking at Nissan studio shots of new cars lately. They are absolutely horrendous and always make their cars look crappy or mediocre.
Old 04-15-06, 01:33 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I've been studying the interior shots of the new G35 and comparing them to the IS350 interior.

First, let me say that the IS interior looks much better with wood, as I think would the G35 interior.

Also, the IS interior looks much better with the screen, than without. I'm not sure if the screen comes standard on the G35.

Comparing the IS350 aluminum interior with Nav, versus the G35 aluminum interior with Nav, at least in pics, I would actually give a slight nod for the G35 interior.

The IS350 interior is somewhat more refined and everything (design and colors) flow together perfectly. But it is also kind of generic, straightforward styling, and the passenger side dash is kind of plain. And a bit cold without wood.

The G35 interior has too many color lights (blue, white, orange lights in the gauges makes it too busy). But it is interesting and stylized, and flows pretty well in a sporty way.

Love the soft leather seats in the Lexus though. No one does leather like Lexus.
Old 04-15-06, 02:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

The cluster looks too busy and the amber does not look good with everything else.

The interior looks nice, not too bland. Too many sharp edges for my personal tastes.

When you say "NEW" G35, looks like an old G35 on the outside to me, I do not see much updated styling.

I think this may be one of the few Infiniti vehicles I actually "like" and have since they were intro'd. I've never been to warm on Nissans, but I have never had anything truely bad to say about them. I probably would not buy one, but I'd drive it and like it for a company car or something along those lines.

It's just not the car for me as my sole car.
Old 04-15-06, 03:29 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

I think the overall design is an improvement over the old G35 sedan. That said, there are a few interior design elements that I don't like. The black buttons and ***** outlined in black just doesn't look good with the aluminum trim. Additionally, the aluminum trim itself which is made to look like rice paper simply looks out of place. It appears as if someone took some textured spray paint to the trim panel. THe overall combo of the aluminum and black ***** looks more Chevy than upscale.

What I do like about the car are the many cool features such as the 10" woofers in the front doors and the focus on creating a really good sounding 2 channel stereo system rather than the 5.1 or 7.1 channel systems in most new luxury cars. I have 5.1 in my home theater and listening to 5.1 channel music on it generally sucks b/c there's a tendency to make the music too immersive so it sounds like you're sitting in the middle of the band w/ drums coming from behind and a guitar coming from the front right, etc. This is why I don't really like some of the multichannel DTS or DVD-Audio mixes. I much prefer a very well designed 2 channel system w/ great front end soundstaging.

Another great feature is the audio and video RCA jacks in the compartment under the armrest. I think iPod integration like on the BMWs is a waste, but having RCAs are very handy as it will work with all portable music devices. The fact that there is a video RCA jack is also helpful for hooking up things like portable DVD players or even for installing a car computer. Here's a picture of the inside of the compartment w/ the RCA jacks:

I also like the fact that the car has maintained a good amt of interior space - unlike the IS350 which got even more cramped on the inside. I would have bought the IS350 already if it had more room than a sub-compact.

With respect to the G35 looking like the M35, I see nothing wrong with that. It's very common for a car mfg to have a stylistic theme that runs throughout all their cars. Every Mercedes and BMW is unmistakably a Mercedes or a BMW. People don't criticize the 3 series for looking like a 5 series or a 7 series. That family resemblance is purely intentionally.

Besides, the M35/Fuga got its styling queues from the original G35/JDM Skyline. So, it's just coming full circle that the newest G takes some styling cues from the M.

Other stuff that I'm concerned about is the fact that Infiniti is touting a softer power curve combined w/ a 7.5K redline. Hey Infiniti, how about building a car with a broad useable power curve and tuning the accelerator pedal to give linear power delivery? This way, the driver has a choice of how smooth or violent they want their acceleration. Another disappointing thing is the fact that Nissan/Infiniti is still using the older SAE hp rating which is purely a marketing gimmick so that they can claim 300+ hp. I have no doubt this new G35 will be no faster than any of the previous G35s, 300ZXs, Altimas, etc. It's funny how basically all of these VQ35 equipped cars have all run 0-60s in about the high 5s-low 6s and 1/4 miles in the mid-low 14s throughout all of these years despite having hp ratings of 240 all the way up to 300 hp. The 04 260 hp G is just as quick as the 280 hp coupe or the 298 hp 05+ coupes and sedans. Very disappointing.

By Infiniti sticking to the old SAE hp rating, I expect more of the same, ie. hp ratings that sound great on paper, but somewhat disappointing in real world performance. If the new G can turn times as quick as the IS350, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, at least the 07 G35 has 2 trump cards over the IS350 - much roomier interior and a 6 speed transmission. These 2 factors have me leaning more to the G35 for my next car. OTOH, if the GS gets the 3.5L motor and can still be purchased at deep discounts like the GS300 has for the past 6 mos, I'd probably get the GS350 and give up the 6 speed manual.
Old 04-15-06, 04:11 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Wow, I've always thought of the g35 as a great value car, just the design isn't that great..now look at this, i'm lovin it, and the 07 coupe looks just as good. I'll choose the g over the 3 series anyday.

Quick Reply: New G35 Sedan (C&D Review highlights pg. 15)