Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 05:22 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yeah, and people complained about the 3GS look like an Altima/Maxima when it came out too.
LOL i really dont see the resemblance though w/ the GS and the altimaxima
Old 06-08-06, 05:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
correct me if i'm wrong but didnt BMW have this before Pontiac...in fact wasnt there a lawsuit a while back that some Pontiac car "Grand Prix" or something like that had a grille too similar to the BMW's so they filed a suit.
You are correct and not many will confuse a Pontiac for a BMW, I just think it cheapens the brand and getting long. Perhaps somebody here can Photoshop other front end designs. Looks like it has some sunglasses. I think a 3rd of the height would be more pleasing to the eyes. But as Gene said, some larger wheels with a wider stance would really wake up the style.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-08-06 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 05:28 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
LOL i really dont see the resemblance though w/ the GS and the altimaxima
Not to stay off subject, but many are not car enthusiast and to them they are the same. My father in law once pointed to a Maxima and said to me, "hey, a new GS"! He was serious. Just because we know the difference does not mean others do. To them a car is a car which explains why he totes around in a RX330 but could afford anything out there.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-08-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 04:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks like the 335i sedan is right around the corner too.

Spotted in the back lot of a Chicago BMW dealership.

Apparently it just showed up.

Old 06-12-06, 04:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Looks like the 335i sedan is right around the corner too.

Spotted in the back lot of a Chicago BMW dealership.

Apparently it just showed up.

I bet that thing is a BLAST to drive

Old 06-12-06, 04:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Complete dealer guide

Complete brochure of the 328i/328xi/335i Coupes.

http://www.autospies.com/images/pdfs/2007coupe.pdf

Pretty interesting. I'm starting to like it a little more in the pictures.

Noticed that the coupes come with a lot more standard features compared to the 3-series sedan or even the IS350. Might be a reasonable buy as a non-option model. But then again, the base price is probably over 40K.

Last edited by magneto112; 06-12-06 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 05:00 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I just put in my order yesterday Expected arrival date is first week of August.
Old 06-12-06, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
I just put in my order yesterday Expected arrival date is first week of August.
Congrats coupe or sedan?

Old 06-12-06, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Wow, the 328 weighs about 3300 lbs, the 335 joins the IS in the pig club at over 3500 lbs......

Old 06-12-06, 05:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, the 328 weighs about 3300 lbs, the 335 joins the IS in the pig club at over 3500 lbs......
it is 55lbs heavier than IS350. But do you really think there is an 250lbs difference in engine? I mean seriously.
All the difference that ever was there was due to stripped down 3 series models. When fully loaded, difference was less than 70lbs, and now with same power IS350 is actually lighter...

real life pics of coupe look a lot better than official pics, cant wait to see it in person...
Old 06-12-06, 06:22 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats coupe or sedan?
Coupe. Sedans can't be ordered yet, iirc. In any event my order went into the system yesterday and my CA is going to call with the arrival date sometime in early July.

Jet Black / Coral Red / Brushed Aluminum
6 Speed Manual
Premium Package
Sport Package
Comfort Access
Navigation
And it comes with the cold weather package here in Canuckistan.

It'll be good to be out of a sedan. The G35 is going to be my wifes very soon. Interesting note - our 2002 330i held its value incredibly well.

Originally I was put off by the fact that the coupe is longer than the sedan, with larger front and rear overhangs - but it'll make for better legroom in the rear and the "look" is offset by the more aggressive styling (imo, anyway). I was going to get an e90 but I can't stand the tailights on those, and, well, I'm ready to be back in a turbo coupe again. It's been too long!
Old 06-12-06, 07:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Coupe. Sedans can't be ordered yet, iirc. In any event my order went into the system yesterday and my CA is going to call with the arrival date sometime in early July.

Jet Black / Coral Red / Brushed Aluminum
6 Speed Manual
Congratulations !! That's a nice combibation too
Old 06-12-06, 07:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW lists "unladen weights", while Lexus lists curb weights. I remember there's a difference between the two, but what it is I can't remember. I also wonder IF the IS350 would become ligher if Lexus makes it a coupe. All in all, the 335i is not any superior to the IS350 at least on paper.
Old 06-12-06, 07:40 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I know this is a Lexus site - but paper really doesn't tell the story. I really like the IS350; it's very fast, and more importantly has a lot of low end. The interior is nice, the exterior looks great, it's a Lexus so you know reliabilty is good. The things that detered me were the rear room (more rear room in the 335i coupe...) and the drive. I realize that when mags review cars they take them to the track. I will not be tracking my car, but just in terms of *daily* driving I enjoy the suspension and chassis (not to mention the steering feel and road feedback) on the 3-series a lot more. Some folks don't feel it, some do...

Either car is good; we'll see how the 335i is when it comes out. Might be quicker than BMW says, might not handle as well as the 330i, might be totally unreliable... who knows, we'll see.
Old 06-12-06, 09:06 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
BMW lists "unladen weights", while Lexus lists curb weights. I remember there's a difference between the two, but what it is I can't remember. I also wonder IF the IS350 would become ligher if Lexus makes it a coupe. All in all, the 335i is not any superior to the IS350 at least on paper.
I can't speak for Lexus, but BMW and virtually all of the other German manufacturers quote "unladen weights" by the EU standard.

The EU standard demands that the car's weight be quoted with standard equipment, all essential operating fluids (oil, etc), a 90% fuel load and a ~70 kg (might be 72 kg) provision for the driver. Technically, it's ~65-67 kg driver + 5 kg of cargo, but I usually just lump those numbers into a single figure as people don't typically haul cargo. I can provide you with a German-language spec sheet which makes mention of this technicalities - though I believe the English spec sheets do the same.

This means that BMW's "unladen weights" already include a nearly full tank of gas and a 160 lb driver. Full tank of gas is fairly typical for quoted curb weights, but including the driver is not. If a manufacturer quotes "curb weight," as Lexus does, then said manufacturer probably adheres to the following definition:

"The weight of a fueled automobile with standard equipment but without cargo or passengers."

This means that a standard equipped 330i actually only weighs around 3260 lbs when held to the same standards used by most manufacturers. Likewise, the 335i is just over 3400 lbs - still more than 100 lbs lighter than the IS350.

An interesting aside: such options as power seats and glass power sunroofs can add around 50-60 lbs and 30-40 lbs to the empty weight of a car, respectively. If these are standard, they're included in quoted curb weights, if not, they aren't.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 06-12-06 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)