Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 06:58 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too, although all reports indicate this doesn't act like a high strung engine. Power seems immediate and smooth; both "reviews" I've seen have commented on how it feels like a really powerful NA engine. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 07-09-06, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree. All things being equal I'd take the NA engine any day. However, my decision becomes a much tougher one when we compare a 3.0L Turbo vs an 3.5L N/A both making the same power. I kind of like high strung small engines.
Oh, its an interesting proposition And BMW ponies have traditonally been very healthy, so it might do 320hp numbers time wise. THought we all must admit the IS 350 might have came from the same horse farm, its doing sub 14 sec 1/4 miles with no issues.

I need to research the BMW turbo cars of the 70s some more.

Old 07-09-06, 03:55 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First video review of the 335i!
http://www.autoclips.net/requestauto...nt=755&id=4588
Old 07-09-06, 04:19 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I have no idea what that guy is saying, but it's a good chance to see a vid of the car. Am I the only one that thought it looked good on the road?
Old 07-09-06, 05:14 PM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is true. BMW has been flirting with turbo gas applications for awhile now, they have had diesal ones for sometime now.

Though I would rather go the natually aspirated route to 306hp.
I'm partial to N/A engines in terms of feel and response, but if BMW can build a turbo engine that acts like it's naturally aspirated, that's good enough for me.
Old 07-09-06, 10:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

What I'm somewhat surprised about is the curb weight. At 3571lbs, the 335i Coupe isn't exactly the lightweight vehicle you come to expect from BMW. The 335i coupe gained quite a bit of weight compared with the outgoing 330Ci.

People made fun of the new IS for getting "too porky", but it looks like the 3 Series will be gaining weight too.

Expect the 335i sedan to gain a similar amount of weight as well.
Old 07-09-06, 11:23 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What I'm somewhat surprised about is the curb weight. At 3571lbs, the 335i Coupe isn't exactly the lightweight vehicle you come to expect from BMW. The 335i coupe gained quite a bit of weight compared with the outgoing 330Ci.

People made fun of the new IS for getting "too porky", but it looks like the 3 Series will be gaining weight too.

Not really. BMW always lists "unladen weights", not "curb weights".

Please refer to the previous reply by akhbhaat regarding this issue in the same thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=306
Old 07-10-06, 04:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I know some of you from this forums hate these kind of spy shots pictures but i think this is kind of exciting!
It's not so much the spy shots themselves that are annoying ( actually it's nice to have them ) but the fact that the auto companies force them by playing an annoying, childish, and unnecessary cat-and-mouse game by sticking bras and tape all over their new products instead of just coming clean, uncovering the cars, and acting like adults. It reminds me of the hide-and-go-seek games we played in nursury school when we were 4-5 years old. If they would just come clean and stop that nonsense, spy shots would not be necessary.
Old 07-10-06, 04:11 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

people want to overlook turbo hardware adds considerable weight. Either way I'd rather shoehorn in a V8, rather than resort to the turbo route. But I'm sure BMW felt a V8 3er would cannabilize 5er sales.
Old 07-10-06, 05:07 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Though I would rather go the natually aspirated route to 306hp.

I usually like NA route, but have you seen the tq curve of this motor? it's crazy. 300ft-lb of tq at 1500 rpm
Old 07-10-06, 05:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

NA engines, though, are usually less trouble to own and in general are more reliable. With turbos, the kind of oil you use and frequency of changes is more critical ( synthetic is usually best ), you have to do slow turbo warm-ups, idle the engine for a minute or so before shutting down to allow the oil pressure to keep up with the turbo spool-down, put up with turbo lag on hard acceleration, and possibly replace the turbo as well.......they often don't last the life of the engine itself.
Old 07-10-06, 05:41 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I think the idea behind this engine is to mitigate some of those issues, in particular long warm ups and turbo lag. We'll see, but both initial reviews have commented on the distinct lack of tubro lag. The car has 300lb/ft of torque at 1450rpm, so I can see how that'd be so. I believe with the way they build the engine it weighs something like 6lbs more than the inline 6 in the e90. They say they did this because they didn't want to throw off their weight balance. I dunno.

As for weight, as XeroK00L mentioned BMW list unladen weights, so when comparing to other non-European cars you should subtract a couple hundred pounds to get an accurate comparison.
Old 07-10-06, 06:04 AM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
NA engines, though, are usually less trouble to own and in general are more reliable. With turbos, the kind of oil you use and frequency of changes is more critical ( synthetic is usually best ), you have to do slow turbo warm-ups, idle the engine for a minute or so before shutting down to allow the oil pressure to keep up with the turbo spool-down, put up with turbo lag on hard acceleration, and possibly replace the turbo as well.......they often don't last the life of the engine itself.
Turbo lag is overrated IMHO...as long as the Turbo is matched to the engine and tuned properly I doubt you'll notice ANY kind of lag. If you want lag then you slap on a 76mm turbo on a 3.0L and you'll notice LAG lol.

I agree that you have to allow the engine to idle for a minute or so before shutting down can be annoying but that's what Alarms with Turbo Timers are for .

Turbo's do last the life of the engine itself if taken care of properly. Your average joe who treats a turbo car the same as a NA car will kill the Turbo's really quick. IIRC The turbo's used on the Aristo's/Supra's are good up to 200k miles if looked after and maintained properly. I've also seen 180k mile Audi A4 1.8T which is still running perfectly in terms of Turbo/Engine (never rebuilt).

Also the fact that a Turbo is MUCH easier to get nice power gains out of whereas with a NA engine it's pretty hard unless it comes factory detunned like most of the Chevy blocks. Stick a boost controller on most cars and sort out the breathing (exhaust, air filter, decat, etc) and you'll see an easy 50-60hp gain in general on most stock turbo cars.

If BMW allows chipping, etc (like Audi, VW, etc) then we could see 350+ bhp 3ers running around looking completely stock!! Maybe even more!

I'm not a BMW fan by far, just trying to correct some of the assumptions here about Turbo maintenance, reliability, preference, etc. You really have to drive a turbo tuned for response to comment on it, and I doubt BMW will build some sort of lag monster. Just look at that torque curve, but then again take it with a grain of salt as it's from BMW regarding an unreleased engine, as the dyno's done by people will show the REAL curves when the car has been released.

IMHO, Toyota/Lexus needs to bring a Turbo monster, something like a bigger brother to the 2JZ-GTE. Too bad everyone seems to want to go Aluminum V6's nowadays .

On another note, I'll always be a diehard Lexus fan! I'm going to get back to researching and buying more mods to stop all the BMW fanboys from tearing up my Aristo with their 3.0 Bi-turbo's
Old 07-10-06, 06:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

theres not gonna be any turbo lag because the boost is low the old engine was 255 hp and now its 306 with turbos, that has to be around 5-6 psi. Ill be skeptical about its durability, even the M3 engines which were N/A had many problems, hopefully they strengthened the internals
Old 07-10-06, 06:37 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet94
I agree that you have to allow the engine to idle for a minute or so before shutting down can be annoying but that's what Alarms with Turbo Timers are for .
Or just remember not to boost a few minutes before shutting down...save yourself a few bucks on a turbo timer, keeps air moving through the car, and works just as well.

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)