Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I don't see any link to play the video in there.
Old 07-10-06, 06:53 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
here you go.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24172
Old 07-10-06, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice video. i wonder if the car in video is lowered or not? it looks pretty low, quite a bit lower than the sedan imho. and somehow the car looks slicker and wider as well, give it a more aggressive look. definitely a much better improvement over the sedan.

and from the driving the car performance looks stunning. the rubber burnt, and seeing how flat the car is when being thrown at the corners.

the seat belt "pusher" is a nice funny idea. and so, from now on the 3 series coupe is oly going to be a 4 seater?
Old 07-10-06, 09:17 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Sorry, here's the direct link to the video file. Darn that cookie-based page protection.
http://www.autoclips.net/upload/unpa...h4q867p3v4.avi
Old 07-10-06, 11:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Not really. BMW always lists "unladen weights", not "curb weights".

Please refer to the previous reply by akhbhaat regarding this issue in the same thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=306
I see his point, but unfortunately I disagree.

Take a look at BMW Canada's website: they list curb weights just like Lexus:

In particular, look at the 330i curb weight: 1565kg for the automatic, which is about 3450 lbs. Not exactly "lightweight" compared to an IS350 now is it? Going by BMW Canada's figures, a curb weight of 3571lbs makes perfect sense, and TheCarConnection lists the curb weight at 3571lbs.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...83.A10610.html

Also, look at the weight listed in [ ] brackets on the BMW USA website: http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/200...n/techdata.htm

Would you look at that, it lists the same 3450lbs as the BMW Canada website. So it seems that BMW USA does list curb weights, albeit in a devious manner.

Also I disagree with the very defition of "unladen weight". Unladen means unloaded, or no load, and that contradicts quoting a car's weight *with* the driver. Maybe the EU uses "unladen weight" in a contradictory manner, I don't know for sure. But on BMW USA's site, they do not mention anything specific with regards to what unladen weight really is. If it did include the driver, BMW would surely mention it. USa has different standards than the EU, so "unladen weight" in Europe could have a different context, and thus, different meaning than in the US.

I don't see how the addition of a turbocharged engine, the addition of a rear subframe, and the absence of the magnesium engine cradle can still keep the 335i Coupe being so light, at a supposed 3400lbs or so, according akhbhaat.
Old 07-10-06, 01:54 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That curb weight listed on the Canadian website seems to be the exact same as the Unladen weight listed by BMW which states the car is 3417 unladen in manual and 3450 in auto.

As for what BMW actually means by unladen weight I don't know if BMW USA has anything on their website, but I know after being a BMW owner in the past and hanging around the BMW forums for years members there have posted many documented links explaining it. Unless BMW changed things very recently the weight includes the driver.

You are right though, the weight has gone up. The 328 coupe weight is abuot 3351 so factoring in the larger brakes and such on the 335 the turbo engine and hardware could be adding about 150 lbs + of weight.
Old 07-10-06, 01:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
the seat belt "pusher" is a nice funny idea. and so, from now on the 3 series coupe is oly going to be a 4 seater?
That is my only complaint that it will be a 2+2. I guess all the coupes nowdays are like that which is kind of sad IMHO. The CLK, G35 Coupe, SC and now BMW 3 Coupe are all 2+2. Often I wished my SC400 had a full back seat like my Legend Coupe had.
Old 07-10-06, 02:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That curb weight listed on the Canadian website seems to be the exact same as the Unladen weight listed by BMW which states the car is 3417 unladen in manual and 3450 in auto.

As for what BMW actually means by unladen weight I don't know if BMW USA has anything on their website, but I know after being a BMW owner in the past and hanging around the BMW forums for years members there have posted many documented links explaining it. Unless BMW changed things very recently the weight includes the driver.

You are right though, the weight has gone up. The 328 coupe weight is abuot 3351 so factoring in the larger brakes and such on the 335 the turbo engine and hardware could be adding about 150 lbs + of weight.
If unladen for BMW means weight including the driver, that's fine, but the BMW USA website then seems to be using unladen wrong, as it is actually listing curb weight, according to BMW Canada's website.

Compared with the 328 Coupe, the 335i Coupe seems to have added a bit over 200lbs of weight.
Old 07-10-06, 02:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If unladen for BMW means weight including the driver, that's fine, but the BMW USA website then seems to be using unladen wrong, as it is actually listing curb weight, according to BMW Canada's website.

Compared with the 328 Coupe, the 335i Coupe seems to have added a bit over 200lbs of weight.
I think BMW Canada might just have a typo and listed curb weight instead of unladen. I wound't be surprised that different webmasters are not all on the same page and make typo mistakes like that. The difference between the 328 and 336 is over 200+ lbs, but the 335 gets a few things that also add some weight like larger calipers and rotors. That alone can add a lot of weight. The engine itself as someone pointed out was only about marginally heavier than the NA, but the turbo hardware like piping and intercooler and such make up the rest of the weight.
Old 07-10-06, 03:10 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
nice video. i wonder if the car in video is lowered or not? it looks pretty low, quite a bit lower than the sedan imho. and somehow the car looks slicker and wider as well, give it a more aggressive look. definitely a much better improvement over the sedan.

and from the driving the car performance looks stunning. the rubber burnt, and seeing how flat the car is when being thrown at the corners.

The sports suspension lowers the 330i .08", and the 335i comes with it stock so I'd say that's just a stock car. It probably rides pretty low right from the factory.

And yes, I believe the engine has gained only 6lbs (according to the press release), however the intercooler itself adds weight, as do the strengthened internals, larger rotors, etc... It's not a light car.
Old 07-10-06, 03:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I think BMW Canada might just have a typo and listed curb weight instead of unladen. I wound't be surprised that different webmasters are not all on the same page and make typo mistakes like that. The difference between the 328 and 336 is over 200+ lbs, but the 335 gets a few things that also add some weight like larger calipers and rotors. That alone can add a lot of weight. The engine itself as someone pointed out was only about marginally heavier than the NA, but the turbo hardware like piping and intercooler and such make up the rest of the weight.
I doubt it, and if that were a "typo" it would apply to every model on BMW Canada's website. Unladen weight is not used in Canada, nor is it particularly used in the US, so I think the typo or mistake remains.

If you claim that as a typo, then would you be willing to say TheCarConnection also made a typo when listing the 335i's curb weight as 3571 lbs? I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but it seems as though some BMW fans are having a hard time believing the 335i Coupe weighs that much.

Added weight, plus turbos compared with the 330i or 328 Coupe will only increase fuel consumption, not decrease it. I also wouldn't expect stellar fuel economy from this, or steller emissions either.

I still stick to my point that "unladen" in the context of Europe has a different meaning than it does in North America. I assume that BMW USA did not make a mistake, and that in this case, what they list as "unladen" is actually curb weight. What reason would BMW have for confusing it's US customers by listing the weight *with* the driver, when nobody else in the US does?

This website also supports my idea:

http://100megsfree4.com/dictionary/c...#UnladenWeight
http://100megsfree4.com/dictionary/c...htm#TareWeight

According to this website, Unladen weight is basically the same as curb weight. It makes sense too. It would seem more logical for gross weight to include the driver or payload, rather than unladen weight.

As for the 335i Coupe, I already mentioned the reasons for the weight gain. The engine itself is only slightly heavier than the 330i's engine, but the intercooling, piping, and additional components do add weight. The lack of a magnesium engine cradle (which the 330i has) in the 335i adds weight too. And finally, the 335i Coupe has an added rear subframe which the 330i does not, to handle all the increased power. Expect the 335i sedan to have the same subframe.
Old 07-10-06, 04:42 PM
LexFather

I want to say it might in this thread, I state that yeah it has more power but its as heavy as a IS 350, i.e around 3500 lbs.

I know the car will be fast, one b/c it does have more immediate torque and BMW horses are strong and also magazines will make love to this car like its name is Halle Berry.

Except it looks like Zsa Zsa Gabor. I still can't get over the plastic fenders. Why am I paying $45k again?

Bottom line,this will only expand the 3 legend and its class leading ways. With a V-8 M3 coming, wow, what a lineup

I just prefer the sedan to this in pics. I actually think the sedan is HOT to look at

Old 07-10-06, 05:09 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the plastic fenders actually cost more than metal ones; they were used to decrease weight and improve balance. Aethetically...eh, gotta see it in person.

RE: weight, yes it's heavy and that sucks. Luckily the balance is still good, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a 3500lbs car which is too bad. 400 lbs less and I bet it'd have been a lot more fun.

I still think it'll be a hell of a car though. Chip, exhaust, yummy.
Old 07-10-06, 05:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
I believe the plastic fenders actually cost more than metal ones; they were used to decrease weight and improve balance. Aethetically...eh, gotta see it in person.

RE: weight, yes it's heavy and that sucks. Luckily the balance is still good, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a 3500lbs car which is too bad. 400 lbs less and I bet it'd have been a lot more fun.

I still think it'll be a hell of a car though. Chip, exhaust, yummy.
What is now worrying me is the V-8 M3 maybe HEAVIER!

Maybe they'll bring us over a future CSL.

Old 07-10-06, 06:23 PM
JIMMY540i.com
Pole Position

Talking (12 PiX) - I spotted a 2008/2009 BMW ///M3

k guys, while crusing at newport beach yesterday, i think i spotted a E90/E92 ///M3, U think?

the driver was friendly and he acutally tried to race me lol.... he then slows down for me to take pictures, this "M3" sounds real nice, the note of the exhuasts is not as loud as a expected, while we were "racing", a E60 M5 come and joined the party lol...

thought i should share some pictures with you fine people so here goes:

so what yal think?

Jimmy
www.**************

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)