Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06 | 06:25 PM
JIMMY540i.com
Pole Position

Default more pix

Old 07-10-06 | 06:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I think the M3 is going o look great. You can definately see the wide front and rear fender flares. The tires look pretty wide as well both front and back.
Old 07-10-06 | 06:40 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Nice find, thanks for sharing Jimmy!

It'll be a blast to drive i'm sure, but I'm not feeling the coupe. If they make an M3 sedan this time however... thats a diff story.
Old 07-10-06 | 06:51 PM
LexFather

Holy smokes, nice find Jimmy!!!!

Its still just gonna be ugly to me
Old 07-10-06 | 06:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

According to this website, Unladen weight is basically the same as curb weight. It makes sense too. It would seem more logical for gross weight to include the driver or payload, rather than unladen weight.
This is true. Curb weight and unladen weight is basically the same thing. The only difference with BMW is that whether it makes the unladen weight term untrue or not, BMW adds 70kg to the weight of the car to similuate the average driver and still calls it unladen. Now, it may no longer be unladen weight according to the accepted automotive dictionary term, but the fact is BMWs claimed unladed weight (Which equals curb weight) includes and extra 70kg. Now, 154 lbs is not a whole lot lighter, but either way looking at the BMW weight numbers and everybody else's weight numbers is not exactly equal.
Old 07-10-06 | 07:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This is true. Curb weight and unladen weight is basically the same thing. The only difference with BMW is that whether it makes the unladen weight term untrue or not, BMW adds 70kg to the weight of the car to similuate the average driver and still calls it unladen. Now, it may no longer be unladen weight according to the accepted automotive dictionary term, but the fact is BMWs claimed unladed weight (Which equals curb weight) includes and extra 70kg. Now, 154 lbs is not a whole lot lighter, but either way looking at the BMW weight numbers and everybody else's weight numbers is not exactly equal.
I have not seen any official documentation or notes on any of BMW's North American websites to support this claim, even though some of you say there is proof buried out there in some BMW papers.

With all the added things the 335i has over the 330i or 328Ci, not to mention multiple sites all listing a curb weight of 3571 lbs, I still do not believe that includes the driver. A rear subframe for one is not some minor addition, it is a heavy addition to the car's mechanicals.

If all of BMW's weight listings include the driver, then BMW is directly going against the definition of curb weight, and no doubt we would have heard criticism from the press or consumer groups about this, if not class action lawsuits for misleading and/or fraudulent specifications.

BMW may very well have different standards they use for Europe, but I call it like I see it, and curb weight is curb weight, and the 335i Coupe's curb weight is 3571lbs.
Old 07-10-06 | 07:26 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Isn't the M3 just going to be a sedan?
Old 07-10-06 | 07:34 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

yea i was just about to say... seems like a 3 series coupe, which is still cool cause its not out yet
Old 07-10-06 | 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Give it a rest already on the weight. It's a porker. We get it.
Old 07-10-06 | 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What is now worrying me is the V-8 M3 maybe HEAVIER!
It may also be lighter because of no turbos, plumbing, intercooler, etc.
Old 07-10-06 | 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sorry, here's the direct link to the video file. Darn that cookie-based page protection.
http://www.autoclips.net/upload/unpa...h4q867p3v4.avi
Originally Posted by STIG
Thanks guys - funny how it's the same video in AVI and WMV formats.

Anyway, great video. That car is really sweet. Reminded me of a P car going through the turns.

The IS has NO chance against that in the handling department although in a straight line it will be close probably.

I really like the 2IS though - I just wish Lexus would put a real sports setup on it.
Old 07-10-06 | 08:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The IS has NO chance against that in the handling department although in a straight line it will be close probably.

I really like the 2IS though - I just wish Lexus would put a real sports setup on it.
Give it a rest already . You make it sound as if the 2IS is some grandma-mobile, and the 335i is an open wheel race car.

This has been discussed ad-naseum; in terms of objective handling, the 2IS and 3 Series are close, the main limiting factor for the 2IS is VDIM, and the 2007 IS will have a VSC/VDIM defeat switch.

What most reviews and people complain about is handling FEEL, and that too should be improved with all of the IS's electronic nannies disabled.
Old 07-10-06 | 08:59 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

The pictures from the driver's side mirror reminds me of the first gen. IS.

Looks okay but I'm not amazed at it.
Old 07-10-06 | 09:04 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHIS350
Isn't the M3 just going to be a sedan?

If you by "sedan" you mean "coupe"... then probably. Considering BMW hasn't made an ///M3 sedan in QUITE some time.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in the new 3...
Old 07-10-06 | 09:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What most reviews and people complain about is handling FEEL, and that too should be improved with all of the IS's electronic nannies disabled.
ack! FEEL has absolutely nothing to do with electronic nannies. It is how the car "feels" when you drive it. This is an art that BMW seems to have mastered, Honda is learning, and if Toyota/Lexus ever figures it out, they may own the world.

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)