Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 09:04 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you realize it's a prototype test car, so there are a lot of duct tape and missing parts right?

For me its the lines, headlights and the Hondaish shape the car has that turns me off.
Old 07-11-06, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
For me its the lines, headlights and the Hondaish shape the car has that turns me off.
oh ok, that's fine. i was referring to the grille, which i am sure would be different
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

by the looks of those pics, there might be a chance the m side grills could make an appearance.
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
uhhh...

i did read his sig. he has a red ferrari. the car he is sitting in is yellow...
word is he somehow got rid of the red one (wreck maybe?) and the rents bought him another yellow one. must be nice.
Old 07-11-06, 09:34 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap.... ..forget the BMW's, what do you do for a living Jimmy. It's still early in life for me and I want to make sure I'll be able to afford some of those nice cars that you drive, in the future.
Old 07-11-06, 11:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by picus
I guess the folks here on CL are the only ones that think the 2IS feels like the 3-series.

Lexus can compete on it's own merits, and yes the IS is a great car; and if it "feels" better to you that's great, but you're in the minority.
I never said that, and looking at some posts, I'm not sure if anyone actually said that.

No, the IS does not "feel" like a 3 Series, and nor would I want it to.

I may be in the minority, but that's fine. I am stating my opinion, and if I liked BMWs I would be posting on a BMW forum rather than ClubLexus.

I'm not saying I hate BMWs, far from it. I just don't really have any preference towards them.

Oh, and if you believe that most 3 Series buyers/owners get the car for the great "feel" of it, or because they will really enjoy the handling and push the car, then more power to you. Of course, most people don't buy a 3 Series because of that.
Old 07-11-06, 12:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No, the IS does not "feel" like a 3 Series, and nor would I want it to.

I may be in the minority, but that's fine. I am stating my opinion, and if I liked BMWs I would be posting on a BMW forum rather than ClubLexus.

I'm not saying I hate BMWs, far from it. I just don't really have any preference towards them.
I'm just wondering, what is it about the feel of a 3 series that you don't like? Now I can understand someone not liking the interior , but the car's drive/feel? I remember driving the last 3 series against the 1st gen IS at the Lexus event and being really surprised how the IS felt like a light 'go kart' and the BMW felt bigger, smoother, quieter.

As you've said, the BMW is trying to balance between being sporty while at the same time fairly practical, which Lexus doesn't have to do because it has the two pronged competition (IS/ES).

But apart from an M3 (stiff, noisier) I've found a 3 series to be very smooth and comfortable to drive. I haven't driven the latest one but I've read it's even quieter and more refined. Sort of... Lexus-like?

Oh, and if you believe that most 3 Series buyers/owners get the car for the great "feel" of it, or because they will really enjoy the handling and push the car, then more power to you. Of course, most people don't buy a 3 Series because of that.
I think LOTS (most) of 3 series buyers buy it because it's a sporty car and probably drive it more aggressively than say a Camry owner! Now I agree as someone else suggested, that almost NONE of the 3 series owners will ever push one close to its limits but that doesn't mean it isn't pushed every day more than other owners/cars. I can have fun in a sporty car doing 20mph around a 90 degree turn and little fun in some floaty leaning car.

I've met many male and female 3 series drivers and they ALL drive 'spiritedly' shall we say. Now they ALSO like the IMAGE that comes with a 3 series, no question, but none of them drove it like granny.
Old 07-11-06, 01:29 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Most of the 3 series owners I see are middle aged women
Old 07-11-06, 02:23 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

That's ironic coming from a Lexus owner.

I'm kidding of course; point is none of us are middle aged women, so who cares what they do with their cars? We drive ours hard, right? Right!
Old 07-11-06, 07:00 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CHIS350

And you can keep the, what, 10% of drivers that actually drive a MT anymore?
I like options, and i'm sure Lexus wouldnt mind that 10% more potential buyers that were dissuaded because they didnt offer a manual.

And yes i do find that a lot of BMW/AUDI/MBZ owners have a chip...i find myself defending the virtues of Lexus on the BMW/Audi forums as well.
Old 07-11-06, 07:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 335i Sedan

I really like the way this one looks.
Old 07-11-06, 07:44 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by picus
That's ironic coming from a Lexus owner.

I'm kidding of course; point is none of us are middle aged women, so who cares what they do with their cars? We drive ours hard, right? Right!
Hey, I'm just saying all these fun cars on the road out here in the burbs and nobody has any fun with them. Whenever I see a BMW craaaaaaaaaawl through a turn with their brake lights on, I cry a little bit on the inside. Shame.
Old 07-11-06, 08:48 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Actually I do believe that a large group of people do buy a BMW for the feel/handling. My wife's best friend came inches away from picking up a 325 because she could not believe how much fun it was to drive. I do believe that if she had gone back and driven it a second time she would have purchased it.

Originally Posted by CHIS350
Most of the 3 series owners I see are middle aged women
LOL - I agree - I work with one and she drives like a maniac! She didn't do that crap in her old Pathfinder!
Old 07-11-06, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Don't like that front bumper/spoiler.

Like this side view and the rims.
Old 07-11-06, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn the front bumper is hideous..... bmw and audi joined forces?

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)