Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06 | 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by insider
The 335i auto sedan will still be faster than the IS350. The BMW has too much torque for the Lexus to keep up. Especially in real world driving conditions. Also keep in mind that the IS350 will lose lots of power at altitude due to thiner air. Where I live it will be down 15% power. That is very noticable. The BMW won't have this problems due to the turbos abiltity to compensate for thin air. No doubt turbos are the way to go.
how will it be faster if manual 335i Coupe is as fast as IS350.

You think Automatic 335i Sedan will be faster than 335i Coupe 6 MT?
Old 08-16-06 | 04:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KKelly
You are right. They had already done it in 1989. My engine is a 3.535cc engine and makes 311hp/265 ft. lbs stock and the E46 M3's 3.2 makes 333hp. So, clearly, BMW didn't give in and use turbo's to make that power. My guess is they did because they felt the technology allowed them to design a turbo with a smooth and constant powerband and lots more torque than an NA engine. Any of these companies that build 800hp 3.0 liter engines in F1 can design any engine they want to and make as much hp as they want to. Marketing, cost, etc. dictate what actually gets built.
except that turbo's dont have constant powerband :-).
Check IS350's dyno's to see what constant powerband looks like.

335i's powerband looks like bumpy line drawn by 1 yr old kid.
Old 08-16-06 | 04:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by picus
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...i_dynamometer/

"Don coaxed the 335i to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds--only 0.3 seconds slower than the M3. The 335i covered the quarter-mile in 13.6 seconds @ 104 mph--again, only 0.2 seconds and 1 mph behind the M3."

On a less positive note, this is the first article I've seen that mentions any appreciable turbo lag.
Automobile now includes a link to the dyno *video* on that page. Check it out.
http://www.automobilemag.com/multime...bmw_335i_dyno/
Old 08-17-06 | 01:57 AM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by insider
Turbos engines lose much less power at altitude than normally aspirated engines. Everyone knows that, common sense really. Saying otherwise would be mis-information.

"The high-altitude performance of a turbocharged engine is significantly better. Because of the lower air pressure at high altitudes, the power loss of a naturally aspirated engine is considerable. In contrast, the performance of the turbine improves at altitude as a result of the greater pressure difference between the virtually constant pressure upstream of the turbine and the lower ambient pressure at outlet. The lower air density at the compressor inlet is largely equalized. Hence, the engine has barely any power loss."

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/advantages.asp
Yeah and to make up for the loss of power at high altitudes you have to run higher boost in return. Ever think about that? . Higher boost = higher EGT's if the intercooler is not up to par or you don't have higher octane fuel or if you're not running any kind of methanol/water injection...which as I think I said above...in this case the intercooler will be designed for more flow to lessen any kind of lag as opposed to cooling efficiency coming first. OH AND HIGHER EGT's = engine go BOOM!. So I wouldn't say you've K.O'd me . There will be a less loss in power compared to the IS, but it doesn't mean that there will be NO loss in power .

Also as I said the size of the Turbo's are VERY small, unless they are using some 100 year advanced futuristic material/turbine technology, so in order to get that no loss of power at higher altitude they'll have to run more boost, which I doubt those little peashooters can do efficiently, and if they can run higher boost they'll be just pushing hot air. Also Turbo's aren't the only thing in a turbo-charged application that determine the lag/power/etc, the intercooler, boost, wastegate, mapping of the ecu/boost all play a factor . Also tell me this, if turbo-charged cars loose next to no power at higher altitudes, why is there a 1/4 mile difference between high and low altitude runs? Why do people prefer lower altitude runs for better 1/4 mile times?

Don't get me wrong I've nothing against BMW's as I think their Turbo Diesel I6 is an excellent feat for a high powered diesel motor topping out at 155mph with the potential for more.
Old 08-17-06 | 02:24 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Did you read my post at all?

Originally Posted by spwolf
IS350 has dual injection - both port and direct and ecu decides what to use, hence its great power and mpg rating.
It does not have only direct injection.
The real world improvement in fuel economy brought about by the various derivatives of GDI used in production cars today can be measured in single digit percentage points - that's it. As such, an average gain of 2-3 mpg out of this technology would be about right, possibly even optimistic.

Did you ever own an turbo engined car? There is no way it will have same mpg as non-turbo version of the same engine (which is what I meant by very similar engines - 330i to 335i), unless you try really hard to not engage the turbo... every time you push it, you will spend considerably more fuel.
I wrote an entire paragraph on this sub-topic in my last post and you apparently ignored it.

I am not so convinced about passing times either - since you power drops from 4,000 rpm to the redline. Due to dual injection, IS350's torque curve is pretty flat from 1,900 rpm to 6,000 rpm.
Passing performance (known in Europe as "engine flexibility") implies acceleration in a cruising gear at low-to-medium engine speeds, i.e. 2000-4000 rpm - and 4000 rpm would generally be considered the upper limit. Under these circumstances, it doesn't matter what the engine can do at 5000-6000 rpm. Even so, don't forget that the 335i is still making the same amount of peak hp as the IS350, even if the torque output is tapering at higher engine speeds.

No doubt that 335i will be fast, but in automatic version it will probably be slower than IS350 - dont forget that Auto's all take few hp away.
You're the one who was just telling me that horsepower doesn't matter as much as actual acceleration. For a number of reasons, the new ZF transmission in the 335i allows it to accelerate as quickly as the manual does. There's almost no difference in performance between the two, per BMW's own published numbers (namely the 0-1000 m time they gave us a couple months ago). So, given that the manual and automatic are equally fast across the board, that means the automatic 335i will be just as fast as the automatic IS350. I'm not going to repeat myself again.

But the big difference will be the MPG, in real life it wont come close to 330i or IS350 (which are close). Of course, who really cares about mpg when buying an 335i eh?
The IS350 is rated at 21/28 in the EPA cycle. The 330i is rated at 21/30. We already have the European fuel consumption figures, but these don't translate properly (even once the units are converted) because their testing methods differ from those used by the EPA. By all accounts, the 335i should be good for the same 21/28 that the IS350 does, perhaps slightly worse (20/27, maybe).

Regardless, this is splitting hairs. None of these cars are particularly fuel efficient; 28 mpg on the highway is nothing to brag about. My six year old E46 does that and more (I can easily manage 31-32 mpg with a fresh fuel filter and light cargo load - this with a five speed trans and relatively short gearing!).
However, what it comes down to is that Lexus did not have to result to turbo's to build that powerful engine and that has serious advantages. 2GR-FSE is truly an great engine.
I'm sorry - while I agree that the 2GR-FSE is an impressive piece of engineering, this is still an absolutely asinine comment. BMW builds some of the finest naturally aspirated engines in the world - the Sxx engines in particular speak for themselves. BMW had a 3.6L six pot (the S38B36) that made 315 hp and 269 ft-lbs of torque twenty years ago. They didn't just "resort" to turbos in order to match the output of the VQ35 and 2GR-FSE. I don't know why they decided to experiment with forced induction, but they did, and this is the result.

I'll be honest with you - I don't know why I'm bothering with this debate, other than the fact that I love technical discussions. I don't really like the IS350 or the 335i all that much; in my eyes, both are fat, boring luxo-cruisers designed to appeal to yuppie badge wh0res. I'm still waiting for Lotus to build a sedan...

Last edited by akhbhaat; 08-17-06 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-17-06 | 08:40 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

BMW builds some of the finest naturally aspirated engines in the world - the Sxx engines in particular speak for themselves. BMW had a 3.6L six pot (the S38B36) that made 315 hp and 269 ft-lbs of torque twenty years ago.
And that was without all the technology and gadgetry they have today. An E34 M5 routinely will put 265-280hp to the wheels. Oh, and it is one of the sweetest sounding engines this side of a Ferrari.
Old 08-17-06 | 08:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9&page=1&pp=22

335 mpg, in the big table of post #1, I think it might be in imp gallons

also the engine has been confirmed to run on 8.52 psi of boost which is disappointing to me, as the N/A version of the 3.0 made 255ish, 5-6 psi shouldve easily cranked it to 306, not almost 9 psi, oh well

I looked down and someone did a conversion, its still a UK metric to US standard conversion but its still not based off a US spec 335, bad city mileage as to be expected from a turbo engine, hwy is surprisingly good

As Jason stated that is a UK sheet. The UK uses EU standards for mpg which is different than US mpg. Converting the ltr/100/km to US mpg comes out to be:

335 manual:
city: 16.45 mpg
hwy: 35.11 mpg
combined: 24.76 mpg

335 auto:
city: 17.04 mpg
hwy: 33.6 mpg
combined: 24.76 mpg

Keep in mind these are conversions from UK spec 335 and the mileage may be different in US spec cars as engines get tweaked for our regulations. My guess is a US 335 will get slightly better gas mileage when changed to fit US market regulations.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-17-06 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-17-06 | 09:51 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...9&page=1&pp=22

335 mpg, in the big table of post #1, I think it might be in imp gallons

also the engine has been confirmed to run on 8.52 psi of boost which is disappointing to me, as the N/A version of the 3.0 made 255ish, 5-6 psi shouldve easily cranked it to 306, not almost 9 psi, oh well

I looked down and someone did a conversion, its still a UK metric to US standard conversion but its still not based off a US spec 335, bad city mileage as to be expected from a turbo engine, hwy is surprisingly good
How can it be better than even the 330i's highway mileage? Kind of odd to me.
Old 08-17-06 | 10:26 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
How can it be better than even the 330i's highway mileage? Kind of odd to me.
Not so sure about the unit of measure they used in the article, but technically the 335i can get better mileage than the 330i with different gear ratios.
Old 08-17-06 | 10:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

335 torque curve is somewhat like a diesel, weak top end very strong low end to mid, if the gear ratios were set so hwy cruising 6th gear would be around the area of max torque then it will get pretty good hwy mileage
Old 08-17-06 | 04:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Not so sure about the unit of measure they used in the article, but technically the 335i can get better mileage than the 330i with different gear ratios.
i very much doubt it, since article mentioned strong performance in top gear, much faster than 330i... which means its definetly not too long.
Old 08-17-06 | 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
335 torque curve is somewhat like a diesel, weak top end very strong low end to mid, if the gear ratios were set so hwy cruising 6th gear would be around the area of max torque then it will get pretty good hwy mileage
well, obviously problem with that is that you still have turbo's taking that fuel :-).

It is only slightly similar to diesel - they have much bigger turbo's, so spikes are much, much bigger and band is narrower.

In fact diesels have most advanced turbos available. New generation diesels have electric powered turbo's, instead of exaust gas powered turbos. They are able to control them much better, getting more performance and mpg at the same time... it is also more expensive of course..
Old 08-17-06 | 08:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Default BMW E92 M3 Coupe Pricing

Dont know how true this is, but I have read that it is from a very reliable source. We shall see...

BMW E92 M3 Coupe Pricing

Major Standard Equipment***
4.0L V8 307kW 420Nm (bi-VANOS 3rd gen.) engine
Adaptive Xenon Headlights
Carbon Fiber Roof
SMG III 7-Speed transmission with DRIVELOGIC
18" M Double Spoke Alloy Wheel
18x8F/18x9R with P235/45ZR18 Front, P265/40ZR18 Rear Performance tires.

Invoice $49,117
Base Price USA Port of Entry* $53,975

Vehicle Options List
Metallic paint $475
Nappa leather $1,450
Carbon fiber trim $300
Aluminum trim NC
Comfort Access $500
M Multifunction Seats with Active Width Adjustment $1,900
Front Heated Seats $500 / ZCW
Power Rear Sunshade $350
Head-Up Display $1,000
Navigation System w/I-Drive $2,100
Power Rear Sunshade $350
Rear Park Distance Control $350
19" M Double Spoke alloy wheel $1,750
19x8.5F/19x9.5R with P235/40ZR19 Front, P265/35ZR19 Rear Performance tires.
Logic 7 sound system $1,200
SIRIUS Satellite Radio $595
High Definition Radio $500
Premium Package (ZPP) $3,100
Cold Weather Package (ZCW) $750
6-speed manual transmission NC
Rear Spoiler Deletion NC

E90post.com

Last edited by GFerg; 08-17-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-17-06 | 08:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

2007/2008 BMW M3 (E92) pricing leaked?
Multiple BMW chat forums and Leftlane News readers are reporting that BMW North America has given dealers preliminary pricing details for the 2007 BMW M3 coupe. The car is expected to make its official debut before the end of the year — possibly at the Paris Motor Show in September. If the data is to be believed, it would position the M3 about $10,000 above the new 335i coupe. Base U.S. price is listed at $53,975 with a 4.0-liter, 412 horsepower V8 engine, putting down 310 pound-feet of torque. A carbon fiber roof, 18" wheels, and adaptive headlights are also listed as standard equipment. Purchasers will be able to chose between a SMG III and six-speed manual transmissions, with neither costing more than the other. While LLN can not independently verify this information, one possible reason for its early release to dealers could be in order to enable pre-orders for what is sure to be a hot-seller.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/...ricing-leaked/
Old 08-17-06 | 09:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

that's awesome news! 54K for V8 M3 is awesome price!

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)