Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06 | 09:01 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

More pics in the thread I posted above.

Intercooler and Direct Injection nozzles.
Old 02-18-06 | 09:03 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Is it just me or I am getting more impressed that the IS has 306hp with no forced induction?
I am sure though with some slight tuning and turning up the boost, this 3 can hit 350hp easy
Well BMW does it with a 3-liter, Sick.
On a hp/L basis, BMW isn't much behind when it comes to its N/A engines (and I'm not even talking about the M engines yet).
256hp / 3L = 85.3 hp/L
306hp / 3.5L = 87.43 hp/L

Can't wait to see what F/I solutions the aftermarket can come up with for the IS350 though.
Old 02-18-06 | 09:54 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Can't wait to see what F/I solutions the aftermarket can come up with for the IS350 though.
I doubt anything, really. With a 12:1 compression ratio already I severely doubt that you'd be able to do anything FI to the 350
Old 02-18-06 | 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The IS350 3.5L engine is an amazing thing.

This new BMW 3.0L turbo engine is also going to be amazing from the looks of it. And "HP" numbers alone don't always tell the story. BMW's have always been known for being 'quick' for a given HP level. The thing I'll be interested in when it finally gets reviewed is what the low end torque is like.

This 3.0L turbo might have a fuel economy advantage over the IS 3.5, but the new high pressure system in the 3.5 is a real step forward too.
Old 02-18-06 | 10:08 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Forced induction=huge aftermarket performance potential. Examples, Evo, 944, 911, Supra, etc....
Old 02-18-06 | 11:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I doubt anything, really. With a 12:1 compression ratio already I severely doubt that you'd be able to do anything FI to the 350
and this is based on general rule of thumb? if they managed to put an SC into 2zz 4cly engine without issues and Toyota warranty, I dont see why would they not be able to do so with IS350.

Now, having an factory turbo means you can easily mod it, which is a lot different and a lot cheaper than adding FI.

Does the current 330i get better MPG than IS350? I dont think so? I dont see how an turbo version of that engine will get better mpg :-).
Old 02-18-06 | 11:41 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

Does the current 330i get better MPG than IS350? I dont think so? I dont see how an turbo version of that engine will get better mpg :-).
EPA:
IS350: 21/28
330i: 20/30 (A); 21/29 (M)

I don't see how it'll get better mileage either with the turbo
Old 02-18-06 | 12:43 PM
LexFather

Well BMW does it with a 3-liter, Sick.
On a hp/L basis, BMW isn't much behind when it comes to its N/A engines (and I'm not even talking about the M engines yet).
256hp / 3L = 85.3 hp/L
306hp / 3.5L = 87.43 hp/L

Your right, I totally fudged that one.

Hmmm, we'll see I guess. With the new M3 going to be a V_8 with over 400ponies, this new 335 has a lot of HP room
Old 02-18-06 | 01:02 PM
LexFather

More pics in the thread I posted above.

Intercooler and Direct Injection nozzles.
\\

Google translation of press release:

The result is readable in the values of 225 kW/306 HP as well as the maximum torque of 400 Newtonmeters and witnesses from an impressing and already thrust using at low numbers of revolutions. Which means this for the driving experience, the engine developers by the example of a sedan of the BMWS of 3series row calculated: In acceleration from zero on 100 km/h the Bi-turbo--variant would be therefore faster around more than a half second, the elasticity value (80 to 120 km/h in the second highest course) could itself from 8.2 seconds for the strongest suction engine variant, which BMW 330i, on 6.3 seconds to improve. While maintaining the suction engine concept a such increase in dynamics would have been realizable only by a substantial extension of the capacity, connected with an appropriate gewichtszunahme and the effects resulting from it on the vehicle balance. On the other hand proves the employment of the turbocharger technology in connection with the High Precision Injection as a particularly efficient method, in order to fulfill still higher requirements to the achievement and the torque of the engine. To the comparison: The new Reihensechszylinder Bi turbo weighs about 70 kilograms less than a similarly high performance eight-cylinder August engine with a capacity of 4,0 litres. Beyond that exhibits the engine equipped with High Precision Injection opposite a equivalent strong turbo engine with suction tube injection a consumption advantage of approximately ten per cent.

Apart from the small weight and the values consumed favorable for its performance class the new Bi-turbo--drive can offer a further quality criterion of the row six cylinder engines of BMW. It offers outstanding quiet running and thus exactly that virtue, with which the row six cylinder engines became propulsion technology, cultivated recognized world-wide, from BMW to the yardstick for. Already the cylinder arrangement gives a balanced character to the engine concerning the free mass forces - also at high numbers of revolutions the engine acts vibration-free. In addition had also the turbo-variant of the six-cylinder of the suction engine particularly light cam shafts, the variable cam shaft adjustment double VANOS admitted as well as over an electrically operated water pump, which works only according to the respective cooling need.

The turbo-hole is past. With the new engine variant engineers of BMW succeeded in eliminating the construction dependent disadvantages of earlier turbo-prop engines. Therefore the loaded six cylinder of BMW does not show also for turbo engines to today typical characteristics: The thrust only using with delay is just as strange to the new drive as the high fuel consumption of conventional turbo aggregates. For a clearly more spontaneous achievement development provides in particular the Bi-turbo--concept. In place of a large loader two smaller copies supply in each case three cylinders with compressed air. Substantial advantage of the small dimensioned loaders is their small moment of inertia. Already the easiestImpulse, which the driver with the accelerotor pedal produces, is answered with immediate pressure build-up. The turbo-hole - that moment, which passes, until the loader takes up its work-promoting effect -, so far typical with loaded engines, is not perceptible therefore any longer. In driving the rating of the new turbo-prop engine resembles therefore the force development of a clearly capacity-stronger suction engine. 3.0 available the litre aggregate makes its imposantes torque of 400 Newtonmeters without noticeable delay and over the broad number of revolutions breakdown from 1500 to 5,800 min-1 away. And thus not enough: The engine winds up strong into the range from 7,000 min-1. The driver particularly experiences one sovereigns form of the dynamics, which it him permitted to complete also brisk acceleration maneuvers eases.

From BMW Press Club Site (German):

N54 Bi-Turbo engine with HPI direct injection.
306HP, 400Nm available in range 1500 to 5800rpm. Max 7000 rpm. With full alluminium engine block, Bi-VANOS, electric water pump. 70kg less weight than 4.0L V8 NA engine. No turbo lag.

Tested in E90:
80-120kmh in 6.3s (eg. 330i in 8.2s)
0-100kmh in 5.7s (eg. 330i in 6.3s)
Old 02-18-06 | 04:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
all it matters is what kinda temperatures the mixture is at when running boost, if it doesnt detonate you are fine. Direct Injection may help to reduce detonation in high compression engines with F/I
Old 02-18-06 | 05:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. if anyone wonders why hybrids are cool - RX400h does 80-120kmh in 4.9 seconds.

:-).
Old 02-18-06 | 07:20 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Cool

Sorry kids. I'll take a turbocharged 3-Series coupe over the IS any day of the week. Coming from me, that's saying a lot.

Don't get me wrong, the IS350 is impressive and the new body turns my head every time I see it, but the new generation of Lexus cars doesn't seem too adventurous to me.

I'd take the turbodiesel E sedan or naturally-asp. E wagon over any of the GS variants and, again, I'd take a FI 3-Series over the IS. The LS, of course, still reigns supreme in my book.

As my age increases and CL posting rate decreases, I must say that Lexus' conservatism is beginning to annoy me. When I say "conservatism", I don't mean it in terms of performance or even specs, because the IS350 has both in spades. The lack of manuals is saddening. And the Japanese, historically, have done so well with regard to implementing turbos. It's an appealing, although admittedly niche, market. I'd like to see Toyota/Lexus address it.
Old 02-20-06 | 12:59 PM
|mpulse
Rookie

Default BMW Officially Announces New N54 Turbo Engine

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/...ine/#more-1764

Crazy coincidence that it has 306RWHP? LOL...
Old 02-20-06 | 01:18 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197195
Old 02-20-06 | 01:56 PM
LexFather

Who woulda thunk the Japanese can now say "there is no replacement for displacement" lol

I am sure the tuners will love this engine, looks very promising!

Quick Reply: Official BMW E92 3-series thread (UPDATE - 335i Dyno pg.48)