Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: insight vs prius which would you choose if you HAD to...no GS400h voting either!
05 Insight
5.71%
06 Prius
94.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

which econo-based hybrid would you buy for your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 11:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
I am confused as to where the 10K saving is coming from.

it now looks more like a $5k ~ $10k difference, but I'll have to post back here tonite after I have some specific numbers on the Prius (they may be fully loaded $29K cars). I'll talk to my connection tonite, he's looking up available cars today.

If I can get a 6 month old 06 Prius with 6k-8k miles in the teens it seems like a no-brainer.

keep the input coming!
Old 04-19-06, 12:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
it now looks more like a $5k ~ $10k difference, but I'll have to post back here tonite after I have some specific numbers on the Prius (they may be fully loaded $29K cars). I'll talk to my connection tonite, he's looking up available cars today.

If I can get a 6 month old 06 Prius with 6k-8k miles in the teens it seems like a no-brainer.

keep the input coming!
if you can get 06 Prius with 8k miles for 15k, you can sell it for 25k and make 10k, lol... For that, you can buy huge amounts of fuel for some HEMI powered vehicle.

:-).
Old 04-19-06, 01:14 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you can get 06 Prius with 8k miles for 15k, you can sell it for 25k and make 10k, lol... For that, you can buy huge amounts of fuel for some HEMI powered vehicle.

:-).
hahhaha...true, but after buying 4 or 5 Prius' thru this guy he might become suspicious and cut me off

I seriously doubt they will be in the teens for some reason.

Last edited by bagwell; 04-19-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-20-06, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't get any type of deal on one, gets less MPG.

I'm open to hear about your reasons for liking it though...
Both the Pruis and the Insight, IMO, have awful styling ( the Prius is especially Geeky )
and I can't stomach the Pruis's headlights, dash, gauges, controls, or body style, or the Insight's too-small size, too-small payload, goofy-looking wheel arch covers, and lack of refinement.

The regular Civic Hybrid, IMO, avoids all of these problems and IMO is a far better choice than either the Prius or Insight. It is basically just a well-designed Civic 4-door sedan adapted to the gas-electric powertrain, without all of the goofy-looking and goofy-feeling features of the other two cars...although all of the new 2006 Civics, including the Hybrid, have that odd two-tier dash. ...a mistake, IMO, on Honda's part.

I am strongly conservative when it comes to automotive interior and dash design...I like things clear and simple. Same with airplanes.....one reason I liked flying the Cessna 172.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 07:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

latest update: of course no employee used Prius are available; but I can still get a new one thru a dealer for less than invoice [+ the $3150 tax credit].
Old 04-20-06, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

latest update: of course no employee used Prius are available; but I can still get a new one thru a dealer for less than invoice [+ the $3150 tax credit].
That is a super-deal on a Pruis if you can actually get it for below invoice.....they usually sell for several thousand more than LIST, much less invoice. It's hard to believe there is not a catch here...or something in the fine print.

I'd like to hear Liz's opinion on this one. Liz ( AsianGirl )...................are you on-line here? What do you think? You formerly sold both Lexus and Toyota for a living.

If she doesn't answer give her a PM.
Old 04-20-06, 07:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Both the Pruis and the Insight, IMO, have awful styling ( the Prius is especially Geeky )
and I can't stomach the Pruis's headlights, dash, gauges, controls, or body style, or the Insight's too-small size, too-small payload, goofy-looking wheel arch covers, and lack of refinement.

The regular Civic Hybrid, IMO, avoids all of these problems and IMO is a far better choice than either the Prius or Insight. It is basically just a well-designed Civic 4-door sedan adapted to the gas-electric powertrain, without all of the goofy-looking and goofy-feeling features of the other two cars...although all of the new 2006 Civics, including the Hybrid, have that odd two-tier dash. ...a mistake, IMO, on Honda's part.

I am strongly conservative when it comes to automotive interior and dash design...I like things clear and simple. Same with airplanes.....one reason I liked flying the Cessna 172.
hummmm....I kinda thought Honda cloned most dimensions directly from the Prius to build the new Civic. Hate the tail lights and wheels (on the Hybrid anyway), plus I can't get a deal on one....straight MSRP.
Old 04-20-06, 08:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That is a super-deal on a Pruis if you can actually get it for below invoice.....they usually sell for several thousand more than LIST, much less invoice. It's hard to believe there is not a catch here...or something in the fine print.

I'd like to hear Liz's opinion on this one. Liz ( AsianGirl )...................are you on-line here? What do you think? You formerly sold both Lexus and Toyota for a living.

If she doesn't answer give her a PM.
will do.

btw - I can get a Prius for striaght MSRP with no problem...thru a dealer 5 mins away from me thru my employer that is not associated in any way thru Toyota. Also, there's dealers all over the US that sell for MSRP and some higher MSRP models are discounted.

I don't think there's a catch with my connection - he works in the regional office for Toyota.

edit: no discount at all, even for Toyota employees on the Prius, but I still dropped my $500 deposit for one at MSRP...should be in May 1.....still eligible for the $3150 tax credit.

Last edited by bagwell; 04-22-06 at 07:55 PM.