Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Folding Hardtop Mazda MX-5 / Miata(Update - Priced at 24K pg. 3)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 07:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Folding Hardtop Mazda MX-5 / Miata(Update - Priced at 24K pg. 3)

According to an AutoWeek report at the time, the improved roof would add $2,000 to $3,000 to the MX-5’s sticker price. This week, Germany’s AutoBild magazine published an artist’s rendering of the new MX-5 hardtop. The accompanying report indicates that the car will debut at the British Motor Show in July (20th-31st). Previous reports had indicated the car would not arrive until the Paris Motor Show in September.

source : leftlanenews
Old 04-19-06, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Absurd. The car doesn't need it. It already has what is perhaps the simplest, most efficient, and easiest-to-use manual ragtop in the industry. Of course, Miatas have always been easy to break into as well...all you need is a sharp knife.
Old 04-19-06, 08:48 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Absurd. The car doesn't need it. It already has what is perhaps the simplest, most efficient, and easiest-to-use manual ragtop in the industry. Of course, Miatas have always been easy to break into as well...all you need is a sharp knife.
I knew you woukd post here and I'm glad you did - I totally agree. The MX-5's current top is *so* efficient and easy to use it seems a shame not to buy the car with it.
Old 04-19-06, 09:44 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If that's the case, then hopefully they make it optional. I know a lot of people buy the Miata for the light weight and RWD, and I don't think a retractable hardtop is going to save any weight.
Old 04-19-06, 10:22 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not that I have current plans to buy a convertible , but the only ones I consider are hardtops. I just don't like ragtops, in general. They are easy (or easier) to break in or damaged. Most of them look weird with the top up.

If this news is true, then it will be added to my list (along with the Lexus and MB offerings) to check out in the future.
Old 04-19-06, 10:58 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thing about the miata is...it doesn't look weird with the top up.

it's not one of those coupes that's had its roof chopped off, it has always been a softtop, designed from scratch to be that way.

and like TheRupp said...folding hardtops are heavy. metal, bigger glass, motors...
Mazda engineers shaved unneeded plastic off the rear-view mirror to keep weight low---putting in a mechanized folding METAL ROOF...would completely defeat the purpose of the car.
Old 04-19-06, 11:08 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

The folding hardtop will definitely help Mazda sell more cars. The Miata purists will surely object to the higher cost and increased weight for this option, but I'm sure there will be some people who
will take this option. Some people actually buy the Miata because of its size and styling rather than
performance.

Even with the additional $2-3K cost, it would be one of the best hardtop convertibles bargains on the market. Options are always good.
Old 04-19-06, 11:24 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Even with the additional $2-3K cost, it would be one of the best hardtop convertibles bargains on the market. Options are always good.
Yup. As long as it is an option so that everyone can be happy.
Old 04-19-06, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
The folding hardtop will definitely help Mazda sell more cars. The Miata purists will surely object to the higher cost and increased weight for this option, but I'm sure there will be some people who
will take this option. Some people actually buy the Miata because of its size and styling rather than
performance.

It would make more sense, IMO, to save it for the next-generation RX-8 or RX-7.
Old 04-21-06, 07:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default MX-5 CC to be launched at London show

19 April 2006

• Mazda to exhibit folding metal-roof MX-5
• Car could cost around £17,000
• Will be shown at London motor show

Mazda is tipped to unveil a folding tin-top version of its brilliant new MX-5 at this summer's British Motor Show in London.

This computer-generated image gives an idea of what the car could look like, but you'll have to wait until July for official shots of the new Mazda.

There's no more official information on the secret Mazda just yet, but we'd expect it to go on sale later this year with a price tag of around £17,000 to £17,500 - about £1500 to £2000 more than the soft-top.

This summer's event should be the best British Motor Show in decades, because along with the Mazda it will feature world debuts of the next-generation Land Rover Freelander and Vauxhall Corsa.

Find out more on whatcar.com as the London show draws near - we'll have a full report from the London event and a video of the latest addition to the MX-5 family hot from the show floor. Don't miss it.

Held at the ExCel centre in Docklands from July 20-30, the British Motor Show will also have live rock concerts, stunt drivers and on- and off-road courses.

source : whatcar.com
Old 04-22-06, 07:56 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious to know how much weight it'll add. That car has always been a relatively light car - adding something like a metal top can only hurt performance. For that added price, I sure hope they up the horsepower or something......

I personally think offering a retractable hard top is kinda dumb, at least on that car. I dig the top on the upcoming Volvo convertible..
Old 04-22-06, 10:50 PM
LexFather

Considering how the reviews have stated the Miata looks more like the 1st gen but drives softer than any Miata, no wonder a hardtop roof is coming

Old 06-15-06, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Mazda's apparent decision to build retractable hardtop MX-5 puzzles European dealers

By WIM OUDE WEERNINK | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE

AutoWeek | Published 06/14/06, 5:01 pm et

European dealers are puzzled about Mazda's decision to offer a retractable hardtop version of the MX-5.

"The MX-5 is so different from other coupe convertibles that customers are satisfied with the softtop," said Robert Jan Ego, a salesman at Autobedrijf Leerentveld in Zwolle, Netherlands.

Said a salesman at Autohaus Norbert Kalina in Gladbach, Germany: "We know that later this year an MX-5 retractable hardtop will come. But we don't expect more sales."

The German salesman, who asked to remain anonymous, added: "Customers have not demanded a retractable hardtop for the MX-5."

Colin Couchman, an analyst at Global Insight, also is confused by Mazda's decision.

"It is strange to do this so early in the model's life cycle," he said.

The third-generation MX-5 went on sale late last year.

"They'll have the market to themselves, after the MG TF, Smart Roadster and Toyota MR2 are gone," Couchman said. "I don't see the need for it."

Sources tell Automotive News Europe the MX-5 with a retractable hardtop will make its world premiere at the British auto show on July 20.

Mazda Europe refuses to talk about the car. The company merely confirms that Mazda will have a world premiere at the British show.

Since its debut in 1989, the MX-5 has come with a manually operated softtop.

Dealers said that the arrival of retractable hardtop coupe cabriolets such as the Peugeot 206 CC, Peugeot 307 CC and Nissan Micra C+C has had a minimal effect on MX-5 sales.

"It is difficult to say that we have lost sales because we did not have a retractable hardtop so far," said Peter Shell, a salesman at Solent Mazda in Portsmouth, England. "The MX-5 is unique as a two-seat roadster anyway."

The Daihatsu Copen is the only two-seat roadster with a retractable hardtop offered in Europe. All the other volume models with folding hardtops have a backseat.

Sources tell ANE that European sales of the MX-5 with a retractable hardtop will start in September. They say the car's starting price will be about 10 percent higher than the softtop MX-5.

The sources do not know the name of the car's roof supplier, but said the MX-5's hardtop will fold behind the car's front seats. That means the roadster won't have to sacrifice any of its trunk space.

source : autoweek
Old 06-15-06, 12:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
The Daihatsu Copen is the only two-seat roadster with a retractable hardtop offered in Europe. All the other volume models with folding hardtops have a backseat.
Huh? I thought the SL and SLK are 2-seaters?

I would LOVE to see the Copen in the US though. That is one homerun from Toyota.
Old 06-15-06, 12:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as long as they still have the normal manual softop then theres no big deal, dont buy the hardtop if you dont want it

Quick Reply: Folding Hardtop Mazda MX-5 / Miata(Update - Priced at 24K pg. 3)