Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes E55 with SLR McLaren Engine . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 04:24 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLK-SLR gets a
Old 04-19-06, 05:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
With enough money and when you know the right people it isn't that hard.
I would buy just the engine of the SLR too if I can, the body of that car is too ugly to be used
I would put it in a better looking Benz than the SLK though . . .
Old 04-19-06, 09:16 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

With that type of money and clout he has, Mercedes would be dumb not to fulfill his request and sell him the motors. Anything's possible with enough money. Take for example the Sultan of Brunei.... Ferrari made more than one custom one-offs for him e.g. 465GTA Wagon

If this is the same guy we're talking about here that I'm thinkin in the back of my head, he has two identical Maybachs (both two tone blue). I'm sure he's an MB VIP customer.
Old 04-19-06, 11:21 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn...that race gave me a little adrenaline rush. I can definetely appreciate a good engine swap
Old 04-20-06, 06:57 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That guy has too much money. Is that why the gas prices are going up, so this guy could put an SLR engine in his E-series? Maybe now that Richie has the connections he will put the SLR engine in his GS, for his THIRD mod
Old 04-20-06, 11:19 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
With that type of money and clout he has, Mercedes would be dumb not to fulfill his request and sell him the motors. Anything's possible with enough money. Take for example the Sultan of Brunei.... Ferrari made more than one custom one-offs for him e.g. 465GTA Wagon

If this is the same guy we're talking about here that I'm thinkin in the back of my head, he has two identical Maybachs (both two tone blue). I'm sure he's an MB VIP customer.
The sultan of brunei never ordered one offs. He allways ordered them in 6 or 12.
Old 04-20-06, 11:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Maybe now that Richie has the connections he will put the SLR engine in his GS, for his THIRD mod
Man, why do you have to spoil it!!!???
Old 04-20-06, 11:42 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
so you can get this engine directly from mb?

i know for cars like the m3, m5, you can't get the engine like that. it has to be from that car and unless the engine is gone, you can't replace it. pleaes correct me though

that's why it's so hard to see m3 and m5 engine in other cars. i remember reading about one guy who has a 5 wagon with m5 powertrain. he's a bmw mechanic and he had to get the m5 engine from the junk yard or something
You are correct with the M3 and M5 motors. You can't just call up your dealer and buy one... they need the core sent to them first and then they send you a different motor. I found this out when the earlier M3's were having a problem with the self adjusting red line. Some would blow up because the red line wasn't cutting off before the engine was at the proper operating temp.

But like what was previously mentioned... when you have more money than you know what to do with, I'm pretty sure you can walk into AMG and tell them you want a few engines. They throw you a ridiculous number and you say "OK... I'll take two."

That E55 is going to be something fierce!
Old 04-20-06, 04:17 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

A good friend of mine has an M5 (V8) engine in her 99 E36 convertible. She bought it that way and neither her nor the seller knew it at the time of the sale hahahahahaha. I dont know how that one slipped under the radar...

Originally Posted by rominl
so you can get this engine directly from mb?

i know for cars like the m3, m5, you can't get the engine like that. it has to be from that car and unless the engine is gone, you can't replace it. pleaes correct me though

that's why it's so hard to see m3 and m5 engine in other cars. i remember reading about one guy who has a 5 wagon with m5 powertrain. he's a bmw mechanic and he had to get the m5 engine from the junk yard or something
Old 04-20-06, 04:57 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
A good friend of mine has an M5 (V8) engine in her 99 E36 convertible. She bought it that way and neither her nor the seller knew it at the time of the sale hahahahahaha. I dont know how that one slipped under the radar...

The seller didnt know what was under the hood? Did they ever drive it or did they think the E36 was normally that fast? If she got it from a dealer you think they would have inspected the car a little bit
Old 04-20-06, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaa damn, that's something. anyone remember the penny porsche story?
Old 04-22-06, 01:14 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
The seller didnt know what was under the hood? Did they ever drive it or did they think the E36 was normally that fast? If she got it from a dealer you think they would have inspected the car a little bit
She said she bought it from a friend of a friend...

I might get around to takin some pics when she gets it fixed (she got in an accident with it last fall... needs a little work )
Old 04-22-06, 05:25 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

She said she bought it from a friend of a friend...

I might get around to takin some pics when she gets it fixed (she got in an accident with it last fall... needs a little work )
Was the accident her fault/due to the car's power?

If so, that reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in high school. A girl got a brand new Trans Am and didn't quite know how to control the car; she spun it into the woods trying to take a right turn next to the school in light rain.

People need driving school badly.

M.
Old 04-22-06, 07:40 PM
LexFather

Talk about a shoehorn!!!

Old 05-08-06, 08:59 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Was the accident her fault/due to the car's power?

If so, that reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in high school. A girl got a brand new Trans Am and didn't quite know how to control the car; she spun it into the woods trying to take a right turn next to the school in light rain.

People need driving school badly.

M.

Eh, she was driving on a gravel road here in Nebraska late at night when her sister called her cell phone to say her mom just died. She slammed on the breaks and spun off the road. Its really sad too because in the process of her moving back from California she accidently let her insurance lapse .

Quick Reply: Mercedes E55 with SLR McLaren Engine . . .