Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Add manual transmissions to the endangered species list

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 08:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Add manual transmissions to the endangered species list

Add manual transmissions to the endangered species list
By John Pearley Huffman Email
Date posted: 04-20-2006

Buy BMW's high-performance M5 sedan or M6 coupe and you get the seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) in the bargain whether you like it or not. Porsche promises that its latest version of the 911 Turbo will run from zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds when the driver has a six-speed manual transmission to stir — but only takes 3.4 seconds when there's a five-speed Tiptronic automatic aboard. Somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of the Ferrari F430s that come to America have the "F1-inspired" electronically triggered and hydraulically actuated transmission installed. Every Mercedes SLR McLaren comes with a five-speed automatic. Where the high end goes, the rest of the industry eventually follows. And the way this is going, the clutch pedal is doomed.

Automatics have outsold manual transmissions since at least the '60s, and electronic switches have been systematically replacing levers and human effort throughout the history of modern automobiles (and most of the rest of life, too). So most drivers will never miss manual transmissions when they disappear forever — in the same way that they don't miss window cranks, unassisted steering or running around their car to make sure all the doors are locked. But for anyone who enjoys driving, this is bad news because we're approaching the moment when there's no direct connection between man and machine; even in cars that are supposed to be quick, entertaining and engaging, everything a driver asks them to do will be in the form of a request to computerized intermediaries. Intermediaries that virtually always put other interests ahead of the driver's will.

In a bus, cab or hearse, losing the mechanical connection between driver and drivetrain is no big deal. But in a sports car….

Losing focus
Chevrolet began planting a new optional six-speed automatic in the Corvette's hind end this year, and for the first time in a Corvette, shifts in that automatic transmission can be triggered using switches mounted on the steering wheel — thumb tabs above the 9 and 3 o'clock spokes for upshifts, three-finger paddles behind those spokes for downshifts.

Puttering around town in "D" running errands, the new Corvette automatic is fine; the shifts are clean and seamless and the combination of a steeply overdriven (0.67:1) 6th gear and teeter-top 2.56:1 final drive ratio mean the engine barely turns faster than idle during a 65-mph cruise. The only hiccup comes when, accelerating from that cruise, the driver has to wait for the transmission to knock down two, three or maybe four gears to put the engine in the meat of its thick torque curve.

But for God's sake, if all you're doing is puttering around don't buy a 400-horsepower plastic two-seat sports car to do it in. Manually shifting the transmission with those triggers is an exercise in abject frustration; the upshifts take too long and the downshifts take even longer. Dive into a corner while downshifting and you're already past the apex by the time the gear you asked for is served up. And if your thumb is long enough to find that top trigger easily, seek out a zoologist and have him do a species check. It's not that the automatic-equipped Corvette isn't a blisteringly quick car (an automatic convertible C6 will rocket to 60 in 5.3 seconds — just a half-second worse than a manual coupe), but the reflexes to support that speed aren't as sharp or engaging. The car feels somewhat lazy. And elements that are part of the exciting, burly full-immersion experience in the manual-tranny car (like the heavy steering) become just annoying.

The automatic Corvette is philosophically at war with itself; a sports car with an engineered-in internal contradiction. Ferraris with the F1 transmission and Porsches running the Tiptronic suffer from this same fuzzy confusion, even if they're quicker with their electronically controlled gearboxes than with manual ones. But since the new transmission's introduction, 65 percent of new Corvettes (excluding the manual-only Z06) have been delivered with it aboard. So Chevy must be happy, and those buyers likely don't know what they're missing.

Changing character
The four-seat Mustang GT is a simpler, cheaper and less focused car than the Corvette, and it suffers less when there's an automatic aboard. But it's still a drastic change in character. The automatic Mustang GT — particularly in convertible form — is more party barge than muscle machine. Pack some friends aboard, throw in some toys and the world's worries melt away. With a 5.9-second 0-60 time, the automatic Mustang GT convertible is still quick but it's not a car that's begging to be pushed. It's a cruiser with attitude and that is no bad thing — a car that's fun in a social sense but not all that mechanically entertaining.

The manual-transmission Mustang GT, on the other hand (the right hand, which is making the shifts), is a car that when pushed, pushes back. It's an elemental car where the shifts are stout and you can feel the torque surging through the transmission with each shift. Turn the traction control off, and the hand you leave on the steering wheel feels the tire patches up front while the hand on the shifter monitors the slips and hiccups in back. Sophisticated? No way. Fun? All the time — torque, horsepower and a lever stirring gears like a circus novelty act.

Protecting cars from drivers
Taking the driver out of the shifting business is good business for the manufacturers. Even the very best modern shiftable automatic — VW/Audi's brilliant dual-clutch Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) — will keep the driver from doing anything that might harm the drivetrain. Why even mark the red line on a tachometer if the computers won't allow it to be exceeded anyhow?

Precise computer controls make meeting emissions and fuel-economy goals more straightforward; they can protect against driver behavior that can result in warranty claims, plus the market long ago showed it preferred automatics. And in raw performance, there is less and less measurable advantage for manual transmissions. Throw in the rise of computer-dependent hybrids and other technologies and it's hard to see how manual transmissions can long survive.

Sigh. Electronics promise a lot that's good for the future of personal transportation. But we're losing something valuable, too.

The best of the shiftable automatics bunch is the Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) offered in various Audis and Volkswagens, including the GTI shown here. Using dual clutches, it works splendidly with quick, precise shifts

For 2006, Honda is bucking the trend away from automatic transmissions by offering a six-speed manual in the Accord equipped with the 3.0-liter V6 engine. With this transmission aboard, the car becomes a real sport sedan where the driver is as connected to the drivetrain as he is to the steering.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=110078

Last edited by magneto112; 04-21-06 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-21-06, 09:05 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto112
[For 2006, Honda is bucking the trend away from automatic transmissions by offering a six-speed manual in the Accord equipped with the 3.0-liter V6 engine. With this transmission aboard, the car becomes a real sport sedan where the driver is as connected to the drivetrain as he is to the steering.[/I]
Does this have anything to do with the fact that Honda's record for auto trans reliability isn't exactly something to celebrate?

Interesting article though. It's true that the DSG and the SMG are better than a manual for racing since they'll shift faster than any human ever will, but I still think there's no beating the experience of wind in your hair, one hand on the wheel, one on the shifter, left leg clutch, right leg gas flying around a turn.
Old 04-21-06, 09:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i want a DSG IS500 so bad it hurts
Old 04-21-06, 09:56 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive driven both SMG and 6 speed E46 M3s, this is probably the best comparison I can think of because both cars were identical in year and about 3k difference in milage. So I really got a feel of the differences in the two transmissions. I must say the 6 speed is more fun, however, the shifts with the smg seem more precise and it would be a much more practical alternative for occassional traffic. I think it also adds some pleasure to driving these luxury sports coupes/sedans because you get, for the most part, the same performance but much more effortlessly.

I remember a while back watching Speed Channel and seeing a program about AMG and they talked about the technology in the motors, bulding process, etc, they also mentioned breifly something about how their primary concern was mating it to the best automatic tranny possible. I forgot the reasoning behind their auto vs manual but it was interesting.
Old 04-21-06, 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Anyone who tells me the reason they chose to buy a BMW or Porsche is for an engaging, driver involving experience, but chose anything other than a true manual transmission with a foot clutch, is LOL for me There's more to just controlling the shifting in the enjoyment of driving a sports/sporty car, but to me it's one of the most important part.
So the tiptronic on the 997 turbo is 0.3 sec. faster 0-60, so what if I can't get the best enjoyment out of the car without a true manual, it's not like any serious money or trophy is at stake for the fastest possible times even if you take it to the track . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-21-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-21-06, 11:33 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a road course in that porsche, I wonder if a driver in the MT car would be faster than the driver in the AT car.

Anyway, I doubt manuals will ever go away. Heck there are still some cars that come MT only... EVO, STI, S2000.

And in modern sports cars, how well do ATs sell vs MTs in lets say... the corvette, the 350z and the RX-8. MT is more than 0-60, its about controlling the car... and thats what you want in a sports car.

Heck thats what I want in the 350.... too bad the paddle shifters are useless
Old 04-21-06, 11:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes, I've tested the paddle shift on the IS350, & I don't like it, they're no substitute at all .
Old 04-21-06, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I disagree with the part about drivers not missing non-power steering. I myself like the road feel of unassisted steering even though the input ratios are larger and the steering less responsive. However, the rest is pretty accurate. Many drivers don't miss manual door locks or a manual transmission.......stick shifts are a PITA in the increasing traffic congestion in many areas today.
Old 04-21-06, 01:30 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid question (sorry ) so the SMG is an automatic? You don't have to do any shifting like a regular stickshift?
Old 04-21-06, 01:48 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stckyfngz
'Ring times:

M3 - 8:22
M3 (SMG) - 8:15
Isnt the SMG considered a manual? Sequential Manual gearbox..

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-21-06 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 02:24 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
On a road course in that porsche, I wonder if a driver in the MT car would be faster than the driver in the AT car.

Anyway, I doubt manuals will ever go away. Heck there are still some cars that come MT only... EVO, STI, S2000.

And in modern sports cars, how well do ATs sell vs MTs in lets say... the corvette, the 350z and the RX-8. MT is more than 0-60, its about controlling the car... and thats what you want in a sports car.

Heck thats what I want in the 350.... too bad the paddle shifters are useless
on the road course with the same driver in the MT car vs the AT (not SMG or DSG type trannies since there are really not auto. They have auto mode but there is no tq converter), MT car should be faster (MT vs SMG&DSG is another story). No matter how advance the AT is, it can't not read your mind and and to up/down shift when you want to. With the MT in the other hand, the driver has FULL control how he wants the car to behave. Most of the AT (except for the ones like in the Infiniti) can not rev match so manually upshift and downshift by using the paddle shifter can upset the car balance during tracking.

Here is how I rank them from worst to best for a performance car
AT
AT w/rev matching
SMG
DSG
MT

MT will NOT go away.
Old 04-21-06, 03:30 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Modern ECT's have reached the point where even the best drivers can't shift as quickly or effectively as a high-quality automatic can shift itself. I remember reading a story a while back about several Indy Car Teams teams considering a change to automatic transmissions because they could shift quicker than the drivers and they never missed. Ultimately, the IRL blocked this on the basis of it minimizing the skills required of a driver.
Old 04-21-06, 04:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

SMG is a single clutch I believe - basically like a stick except the clutch is done for you.

The DSG has *two* clutches and has PRE-SELECTED both above and below gears, so gear shifts are completely seamless.

Having just driven a DSG GTI I was AMAZED.
Old 04-21-06, 10:58 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

To me, a true sports car needs a a real manual trans. I have ZERO complaints whatsoever about my GS, but i have to admit I really miss the 6-speed of my Maxima.
Old 04-22-06, 07:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by aliti19
To me, a true sports car needs a a real manual trans. I have ZERO complaints whatsoever about my GS, but i have to admit I really miss the 6-speed of my Maxima.
Funny but the most engaged I've been in a Lexus has been my manual ES. Its light for a sedan(Lexus) and well, hand on the stick, foot on the clutch, its just engaging in a way my Modded GS and even the new IS 350 cannot touch.

but u cannot blame business. People want autos. And autos are so efficient, its just kills manuals.

I agree, if your going to get a true sports car/brand, manual is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Add manual transmissions to the endangered species list