Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevrolet Cobalt = Best Tuner Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 08:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I could also get just about any car tuned up. We have plenty of VWs pounding out 500 hp + south of the border and I hear B.S. all the time about what great cars they are, but what they don't tell you is how many things they have to endlessly fix to keep these cars running.

Granted, I would like to see Chevy do well just because it is an American company, but tuning up one of these things and not putting the same vehicle in the showroom for prices comparable to Japanese sports machines, won't get me into a Chevy dealer anytime soon.
Old 04-24-06, 10:14 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They kept 'elements' of the rear suspension, but their front suspension geometry and linkage has been drastically modified and designed specifically for road racing. The car is no where near close to stock, and the body weight has been significantly reduced with 'minimal interior' and carbon fiber body panels/doors/lexan windows.

Less weight = always better for road racing. Better braking, better agility, better acceleration.

Most road race cars do not push much power, they are just stripped down, lightweight, have highly modified suspensions and chassis that run very sticky tires.

That Cobalt is a factory backed SCCA Touring car. Nowhere near stock, and has no semblance to a factory vehicle under it's outer skin. No one in their right mind would put that much money into a Chevy Cobalt. That much work and fabrication is easily over 150K, since many of the parts and suspension are fully custom. They had to have put their best chassis engineers to make it rigid in the right places and that isn't cheap.

I like Time Attack because the cars are still predominantly using 'bolt-ons' that are readily available to purchase anywhere.

It's like saying 11 second EVO's with bolt ons are comparable to 8 second tubbed out Scion tC's...no way...a world of difference
Old 04-24-06, 11:34 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
They kept 'elements' of the rear suspension, but their front suspension geometry and linkage has been drastically modified and designed specifically for road racing. The car is no where near close to stock, and the body weight has been significantly reduced with 'minimal interior' and carbon fiber body panels/doors/lexan windows.

Less weight = always better for road racing. Better braking, better agility, better acceleration.

Most road race cars do not push much power, they are just stripped down, lightweight, have highly modified suspensions and chassis that run very sticky tires.

That Cobalt is a factory backed SCCA Touring car. Nowhere near stock, and has no semblance to a factory vehicle under it's outer skin. No one in their right mind would put that much money into a Chevy Cobalt. That much work and fabrication is easily over 150K, since many of the parts and suspension are fully custom. They had to have put their best chassis engineers to make it rigid in the right places and that isn't cheap.

I like Time Attack because the cars are still predominantly using 'bolt-ons' that are readily available to purchase anywhere.

It's like saying 11 second EVO's with bolt ons are comparable to 8 second tubbed out Scion tC's...no way...a world of difference
Sure its nowhere near stock but the contenders are as similarly modified too. The Signal Auto R34 GTR and the HKS Evo are both purpose built time attack cars driven by the best drivers too.
Old 04-24-06, 12:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Sure its nowhere near stock but the contenders are as similarly modified too. The Signal Auto R34 GTR and the HKS Evo are both purpose built time attack cars driven by the best drivers too.
You're still missing the point. The Signal Auto and HKS cars are not factory backed by Nissan nor Mitsubishi, and that is a BIG difference.
Old 04-24-06, 03:25 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Not to mention, the Signal Auto R34 weighs over 3200 lbs, has almost no weight reduction, is using predominantly all off-the-shelf bolt-on parts, AND the kicker is, when it participated and took trophy at all of the events it participated in...it did it on *street tires*.

BF Goodrich KD's to be exact. :drool:
Old 04-24-06, 03:44 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex

LoL, so which is it??? "nowhere near stock" or "didn't modify it much" which is what you said in a previous post. If you're trying to convince everyone that its the ultimate tuner car, I fear you're barking up the wrong tree... There are obviously too many variables here when comparing it to the other vehciles.
Old 04-24-06, 03:57 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

For me, an "Ultimate Tuner Car" are cars like the EVO, Civic, Supra, etc that have a lot of readily available bolt on performance parts, engine internals, etc

Ultimate Tuner Car examples could be duplicated without much custom work. (with exception to fuel management tuning.)

The Cobalt Time Attack car is a nice try by GM, but even with money, it will not be easy to duplicate the work and engineering they put into it.
Old 04-24-06, 06:17 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

For me, an "Ultimate Tuner Car" are cars like the EVO, Civic, Supra, etc that have a lot of readily available bolt on performance parts, engine internals, etc

Ultimate Tuner Car examples could be duplicated without much custom work. (with exception to fuel management tuning.)

The Cobalt Time Attack car is a nice try by GM, but even with money, it will not be easy to duplicate the work and engineering they put into it.
Here is the build book for the car:

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...plier_list.pdf

Many of the time attack cars are very extensively modified. Look at the HKS carbon fiber EVO that ran through Tsukuba. No one can really replicate that car.
Old 04-24-06, 07:20 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Everytime I see this car on the street, I want to throw it a ball

Old 04-24-06, 07:28 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Hey nothin wrong with Garnet SC's
Old 04-24-06, 08:03 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Hey nothin wrong with Garnet SC's
??? We talkin bout my car or the Cobalts???