Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REALTALK- What if Lexus new cars FAIL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06 | 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Shoot, take a look at the GS450h. It practically makes the GS430 it's litter box when it comes to acceleration and gas consumption.
The GS450h trunk is about the size of my cat's litter box.
Old 04-24-06 | 08:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
I still don't see Hybrid technology as being a major selling point on vehicles at that price level...
I think Toyota/Lexus is doing a good job in marketing the hybrid aspect of their cars. People are so distraught over the fact that gas prices are going up, and they use Toyota (as a company) as a benchmark to how all auto companies should be headed to.

Although people may not be thinking of getting a GS450h or LS600h, they are talking about getting a Toyota or Lexus vehicle that is leading the way in fuel efficiency. It may not be perfect, but they do offer the best hybrids in the market. And if not hybrids, Toyota is still touting the idea that they have the most gas efficient cars in the market.

The GS450h and LS600h may not be their top sellers, but everyone is looking at Toyota and Lexus because of them. That by itself is Great Marketing.
Old 04-24-06 | 08:44 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Toyota/Lexus is doing a good job in marketing the hybrid aspect of their cars. People are so distraught over the fact that gas prices are going up, and they use Toyota (as a company) as a benchmark to how all auto companies should be headed to.

Although people may not be thinking of getting a GS450h or LS600h, they are talking about getting a Toyota or Lexus vehicle that is leading the way in fuel efficiency. It may not be perfect, but they do offer the best hybrids in the market. And if not hybrids, Toyota is still touting the idea that they have the most gas efficient cars in the market.

The GS450h and LS600h may not be their top sellers, but everyone is looking at Toyota and Lexus because of them. That by itself is Great Marketing.

Very true, and well said!
Old 04-25-06 | 05:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol

Again, they are not perfect but amazingly the ONLY cars in their class respectively. A huge gamble. More power, even if there is no increase in efficiency, there is no decrease.

I mean, it takes Benz 5.5 liters to make the same 380hp Lexus makes with 4.6 liters.

Where is the tech?
Old 04-25-06 | 05:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You must have a sabre-tooth tiger at home
Old 04-25-06 | 05:24 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol

Again, they are not perfect but amazingly the ONLY cars in their class respectively. A huge gamble. More power, even if there is no increase in efficiency, there is no decrease.

I mean, it takes Benz 5.5 liters to make the same 380hp Lexus makes with 4.6 liters.

Where is the tech?
I think that the MB 5.5l has more potential to make more power if they wanted it. I imagine the power delivery of the two are also a big different. I havent seen any numbers on the GS but I know the S550 makes something like 390 ft/lbs tq at a low RPM, something like 2900-3k IIRC.
Old 04-25-06 | 07:52 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

tech or no tech, there is no replacement for displacement and low end tq is what needed for luxury cars.
Old 04-25-06 | 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
tech or no tech, there is no replacement for displacement and low end tq is what needed for luxury cars.
Right and electric motors are great for lots of torque RIGHT NOW.
Old 04-25-06 | 09:01 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

My dad was looking at trading his S600 for a new S class. So I said " Dad the LS is very nice."

He was like "I guess so, dont you think that would look like a downgrade. "

Hmm....

Thats is what the risk factor is!

But he loved the Hybrid idea!
Old 04-26-06 | 08:13 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Have you seen how the sales numbers for the IS and GS have increased? ES sales will not go down, and the LS is being lauded by nearly everyone that sees it. At least in the US I don't think Lexus has anything to worry about.
Old 04-26-06 | 08:14 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VAL678
My dad was looking at trading his S600 for a new S class. So I said " Dad the LS is very nice."

He was like "I guess so, dont you think that would look like a downgrade. "

Hmm....

Thats is what the risk factor is!

But he loved the Hybrid idea!
Hey show your dad some pics of the LS600hL, he won't think its a downgrade then! It's more of an upgrade! Plus hybrids are very "chic" right now and I have a feeling in the coming years having an "h" by your badge will be more prestigious than an M, S, or AMG.
Old 04-26-06 | 08:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
Exactly, yeah some downgrade. The LS is an upgrade in features, refinement, quality, reliability, quiet ride, and now the New LS adds style, intuitive technology, and no ugly wheel arches.

But to each their own, the New S-class does have its charms. And a much heftier price tag.
Old 04-26-06 | 08:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Even if the lexus has more features or whatever, the public will still perceive the s-class as the more prestigous cars. Unfortunately, most people think the more expensive car is always better.

Just know that even if the LS600h is a "downgrade" from an S600, it's still an "upgrade" to the rest of the 80% population ().
Old 04-26-06 | 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma354
The LS is an upgrade in features, refinement, quality, reliability, quiet ride, and now the New LS adds style, intuitive technology, and no ugly wheel arches.
Have you looked at a new S class? It has a zillion features. And about refinement and quiet ride, I expect the LS600h to be quieter due to the electric motors, but the new S class is very quiet and probably no louder than the new LS460.

As for reliability, the new LS isn't even out so we'll see. Certainly past history favors Lexus, but I read the initial LS430's had some issues too.

But I fwd'ed a pic of the LS600h to a friend who wants the new S class some time in the future and he was very interested in the looks and capabilities of the new LS600h (luxury and green were kinda interesting to him ).
Old 04-26-06 | 10:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Mike, you make a good point when comparing the Accord Hybrid to the GS450/LS600h, will people pay more for a "performance" hybrid?

Personally, I think they will. Especially when it is an up market, limited production model. As pointed out, these are the people who don't really care too much about gas prices, so why get the GS450/LS600? Prestige - plain and simple. It is the show off factor and they can justify it by saying "yes, but it is a hybrid and it is good for the environment". Which of course we can all reply "You dork, it will take 10 years to recoup the extra cash you paid for that baby over the standard car" - provided gas stays below $3.50 per gallon

Hybrid rant... Am I the only one who finds it funny that hybrids can use the HOV lanes in Calif? Don't hybrids get WORSE mileage on the Highway than in stop and go traffic? Aren't we actually HURTING the environment more by letting them use the HOV lanes? Rant over.

Quick Reply: REALTALK- What if Lexus new cars FAIL?