Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile Mag: S550, 750iL, A8L Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 12:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Automobile Mag: S550, 750iL, A8L Review

Reviews: Sedan New Car Reviews
2006 Mercedes-Benz S550 vs. 2006 BMW 750Li vs. 2006 Audi A8L

Mercedes-Benz S550: The Megalomaniac

As Michelle Pfeiffer’s character says in the 1983 film Scarface, “Nothing exceeds like excess.” That is the attitude of the redesigned Mercedes-Benz S-class, the very definition of five-figure automotive excess. The front seats, for example, can be adjusted to any of approximately one bazillion possible combinations of lumbar, firmness, temperature, bolstering, and, yes, even massage (we preferred the “fast and vigorous” setting despite its being moderately fast and only somewhat vigorous). Through the same screen and navigation wheel that controls the seats, one can also specify lighting and locking preferences, along with various navigation settings. The Mercedes COMAND system (a console-mounted dial to control computer functions), while still confusing to neophytes, is not as difficult to manage as BMW's iDrive, and we found ourselves becoming professionals in no time. The rear passengers are not ignored either; our test model featured optional reclining rear seats and power sunscreens. With the seats reclined and the full-glass roof open, clear, starry nights in the back of this Benz are an unforgettable experience.

Getting behind the wheel is rewarding as well. A whopping 382 horsepower brings the S550 up to highway speed in good time considering the car's 4377-pound heft. Mercedes suspension engineers have also done a wonderful job with this car, as it is much smoother on rough highways than the BMW 750Li and just as agile through the twisties. We enjoyed the steering feel of the big Benz, too, but many older buyers will find the wheel too weighty in slower city driving. The weakest point for this Merc actually makes a lot of sense when you think about the problem with excess. Too much is often too much, and the S550 just can't slow down, with brakes that are not on par with the massive plates hiding behind the wheels of the 750Li. At least they’re better than the brake-by-wire system found on some other Benzes.

If extroverted Maybachian styling, gigabytes of technogadgetry, and plush opulence are for you, the Mercedes-Benz S550 is the perfect sedan. The many pieces of the car come together with the harmony of a world-class rowing team, and the result is a ride that is just as smooth and quick. Megalomania doesn't come cheap, though. The S550 is tagged with a base price of $86,175, or $11,000 more than the closest competitor. Our test model, outfitted with nearly every option other than night vision, broke the six-figure boundary, with a grand total cost over $102,000. But in this class of automobile, can you really put a price on one-upsmanship?

BMW 750Li: Its fifteen minutes are over.

Not long ago, the BMW 7-series was the center of attention in the automotive world. Sure, the Z4 roadster was the first with Chris Bangle's fiery styling cues, but that was on a small sports car, not the company flagship. Along with iDrive and the many jokes (can they please be over already?) brought on by that little dial, the car's styling made for plenty of water-cooler conversation. Nevertheless, it's always been fantastic to drive, enough so that we've given the car two Automobile All-Star awards since 2002. But times have changed, and Mercedes-Benz has improved upon the winning BMW formula. With the exception of the brakes (we’ll leave the styling of these two up to you), the S550 outclasses the 750Li in every way. COMAND is far more manageable than iDrive, and the Merc is faster and more capable than the BMW. The massive brakes on the 750 are still best-in-class, but the Benz's capable chassis exposes the suspension flaws of the BMW. In sport mode, the big Bimmer rides too harshly over rougher surfaces, while comfort mode makes the car too soft. The Mercedes manages to find a happy medium. The 4.8-liter V-8 of the 750Li is new for 2006, and is also found in the 550i and 650i. We credit BMW for good foresight here; they had to assume that Mercedes-Benz would use the new S-class to continue the escalating power war, and 360 horsepower keeps the BMW close--the Audi A8L, unfortuntely, disappears in the rear-view.

Younger people will appreciate the 750Li's interior which, while not as drop-dead gorgeous as that of the A8L, is edgier and more modern than the flowing curves of the Mercedes. However, the seat adjustments, while half as intricate as those of the Benz, are twice as complicated to use. This group of cars is a tough bunch of lemmings to run with. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have been following each other’s lead for years, each improving on ideas introduced by the other two. Right now, the BMW is the lone competitor not offering all-wheel drive, and it suffers as the originator of the wheel-controlled on-board computer, having the most primitive and complicated form of the concept. The Mercedes-Benz, with its wildly flared styling and more advanced computers, has rewritten the ostentatious luxury book BMW published a few years back, and for the time being, is at the top of the class. But rest assured, BMW is working late into the night with books full of visions and revisions to blow our minds again soon enough.

Audi A8L: The cool, quiet type

The Audi A8L is an automotive anomaly. It isn't as fast as the BMW 750Li or the Mercedes-Benz S550. The brakes are less vigorous—by quite a lot--and it certainly doesn't carve the curves with the same verve. It doesn't have as many gadgets, and the seats don’t massage you, cool you, or hold you in place with powered bolsters. It doesn’t do any of these exciting things, but at the same time, it doesn't do anything wrong either.

In our February 2005 issue, we asked whether anybody had “seen someone in an Armani suit running the 110-meter hurdles?” The A8L may not win that dash, but it does it with an understated elegance that the extroverted Sean Jean Mercedes-Benz and Polo Sport BMW can’t match. It is for that reason that a good portion of our staff still dreams of an A8L in the garage. The $11,500 “Audi Exclusive” interior package (suede headliner, black piping on upgraded cream leather, wood inlays) on our test model didn’t hurt either, and even led one staffer to proclaim it “the sexiest sedan interior in the world.” Just as the butter-soft leather and custom wood dash inlays could be called smooth, so could everything else about the car. The sheetmetal--its Armani suit--that wraps around the car is the best representation of the current Audi styling language, and the huge full-length grille looks bold and luxurious. The steering, while too light to be truly sporty, is fluid and consistent, unlike the constantly changing Benz and BMW systems. The throttle and brakes are also easy to modulate, and although the Audi's 335-horsepower 4.2-liter V-8 is not world-beating, it is as smooth as ever.

It is hard to judge the A8L in terms of the S550 or the 750Li. While they’re all similar in size, power, and price, the Audi has completely different intentions. It doesn’t strive to be the most technological or the most powerful, but instead the easiest to live with day-in and day-out. The seats adjust with regular buttons as they have for years, and while Audi's MMI is similar to BMW iDrive and M-B COMAND, it is less intrusive and only used for stereo, navigation, and a few various lighting and car data commands. The A8L is for the affluent American who doesn’t need to jump out and say “look at me!” and doesn't need to show off their computerized toys to their friends. It is a car whose goal is to stay out of your way and just sail along. If that's for you, hop in the back seat, open the optional champagne cooler, and let’s toast to the Audi A8L and its bargain (we're talking relatively, here) base price of $72,090.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...50li_audi_a8l/
Old 04-24-06, 12:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

have to make room for a new playbuddy, LS460, when its released
Old 04-24-06, 12:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
have to make room for a new playbuddy, LS460, when its released
In about half a year's time, it reads :

Mercedes-Benz S550: Its fifteen minutes are over.
Old 04-24-06, 12:54 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S550's are sweet cars... Except for the rims on that one, I don't like those at all.
Old 04-24-06, 01:11 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramon
The S550's are sweet cars... Except for the rims on that one, I don't like those at all.
It's amazing how a car that's design allows so many options for wheels is consistantly displayed with ugly ones...
Old 04-24-06, 01:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am seriously wondering how the LS 460 will fare when compared to these guys. Most beautiful interior--Audi. Massaging seats, power shades, panoramic roof--Mercedes...
Old 04-24-06, 06:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The A8 truly is a bargain. I have two friends who have these vehicles and both had looked at S series and the 7 series and saw no reason to pay any more.
Old 04-25-06, 04:23 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The only question remains is whether...

the handling on the Lexus will be equal to these fine Eurorides. I think the 600hL will take them all on in the features, acceleration, FUEL EFFICIENCY, comfort and AWD too. The LS460L has a 7 series Bangle rear view. The S550's are having some teething issues with their air suspension that is lauded in the article. Complete failures in the first month! This was the Achilles heel of the the previous model as we had owner after owner coming in with the same lament. It spent three months in the shop in the last two years fixing the air suspension. We haven't had a chance to test the reliability of the controller area network yet.....BMW has had their own firmware issues but I was very surprised the viewer didn't like the suspension. The Audi A8 has been a boutique production all aluminum spaceframe AWD understated driver's sedan. It is a little behind the times in terms of luxury features but it's a timeless look. The Mercedes is the most Avante Garde in terms of styling. It will probably take a little time to get used to it as a good and novel concept often does. Mercedes has set many styling trends into motion over the years and they probably still have the panache to create more. Lexus will need to bring their "A "game to dislodge these Euros. They can, They will.....

Rock
Old 04-25-06, 05:08 PM
LexFather

FOr me
1. A8
2. S550
3. 750

Until the new LS comes

Old 04-25-06, 05:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
FOr me
1. A8
2. S550
3. 750

Until the new LS comes
Old 04-25-06, 05:34 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

those are the wheels i hate on the S550, they look even worse when dirty
Old 04-25-06, 06:53 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

January 1st
1. A8
2. 750
3. S550
4. LS430

April 25th

1. LS460
2. A8
3. 750
4. S550

Yes, It's that serious!!
Old 04-25-06, 08:08 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think the new LS is going to win these comparisons. Why am I so confident of this? Because a lot of these mags still value fun-to-drive very heavily. While the LS will be smooth, quieter, have an amazing interior and good handling... it goes against Lexus philosophy to have heavyish type steering that people enjoy in performance cars. Thats why I think u can only take these comparos with a grain of salt. Many people have priorities different than race-ready steering which is many times Lexus' downfall in these.
Old 04-25-06, 08:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I don't think the new LS is going to win these comparisons. Why am I so confident of this? Because a lot of these mags still value fun-to-drive very heavily. While the LS will be smooth, quieter, have an amazing interior and good handling... .
That's why I was a bit surprised that the LS430 was placed first and second in the two most recent comparisons among the LS, S, 7, A8 & the Jag XJ etc. in these enthusiasts magazines.
In the comparison that the LS placed second, the A8 won. That shows just how good the LS430 is despite the heavy biased of these mags for driver's cars.
Old 04-25-06, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I don't think the new LS is going to win these comparisons. Why am I so confident of this? Because a lot of these mags still value fun-to-drive very heavily. While the LS will be smooth, quieter, have an amazing interior and good handling... it goes against Lexus philosophy to have heavyish type steering that people enjoy in performance cars. Thats why I think u can only take these comparos with a grain of salt. Many people have priorities different than race-ready steering which is many times Lexus' downfall in these.
well we will see. we have seen the 04 ls430 winning over the competition back then. the ls460 is probably not going to be as performance oriented, but i think it's going to be better than the current one (better handling for once). and with the level of luxury the car is putting up, i think it could be a fun comparison

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag: S550, 750iL, A8L Review