Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is an RX300 a little feminine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 11:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The only other characterization of my RX300 is that it looks like panda bear.
Old 04-25-06, 11:46 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Crossovers

I do not know if feminine is the right word but I will say that I have noticed that mostly women or older/married men drive crossover SUVs. I tried explaining this to other people who did not believe me until we saw a commercial for a Highlander where the drivers were an older couple on their way to their son's college graduation.
Old 04-25-06, 11:55 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also own an RX300 and like it a lot, I don't really get anything about it being a feminine vehicle with the exceptions of how it looks on the outside. The looks are what really got me though, when I take a walkaround on an RX300 to this day my mouth still waters, especially those Silversports, they're gorgeous, smooth lines - sporty and luxurious in my opinion. I toyed with the idea of getting an IS250 about a month ago but decided that I'd keep my RX300 for a few more years as my daily driver, I'm very satisfied with the 2 years I've had it so far.

-tc
Old 04-25-06, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

RX300 feminine?

By now you guys know what my answer is going to be...............that is just one more automotive stereotype, and automotive stereotypes are B---U---L---L--- * --- * --- * --- T .
Old 04-25-06, 01:06 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think obviously all Lexus' are great cars, but in all reality I think alot of people view them as less-manly overall. BMW has the M cars....Benz the AMG....you know those are men's cars. A Porsche....very manly. Lexus does not have a model that really stands out as meaning "high performance power." I think the SC used to be like that until the SC430 was released, which alot of people think is very feminine. I would drive an RX though.
Old 04-25-06, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjr24
I think obviously all Lexus' are great cars, but in all reality I think alot of people view them as less-manly overall. BMW has the M cars....Benz the AMG....you know those are men's cars. A Porsche....very manly. Lexus does not have a model that really stands out as meaning "high performance power." I think the SC used to be like that until the SC430 was released, which alot of people think is very feminine. I would drive an RX though.
By saying, though, that M-cars, AMGs, and Porsches are " manly " aren't we just getting right back to stereotypes? It would seem so.
Old 04-25-06, 01:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RX330. Well, actually it is my wifes car. I liked the look of the MDX and X5 better. She likes the RX330. She woould be fine driving it stock. I had to lower it, put 20" rims, and other things on it. I don't mind driving it or being seen driving it. I drive it like as aggressively as you possible can drive a lowered SUV. I personally wouldn't buy one for myself though. I've enjoyed our RX330 for a little over 3 years now, but the time has some to sell it and get something else. I don't think we will ever own another SUV because I just rather drive a coupe or sedan more.
Old 04-25-06, 03:30 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Yes mmarshall, but the OP had asked about these stereotypes. I am not saying they are right or wrong...but if you took a survey, a gross amount of men drive M and AMG over women...and I think there are many more women driving the RX and SC over men. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 04-25-06, 04:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I have rarely been back to the home country in the last 4 years. However, down here, I would say more than 80% of the people driving SUVs are women.
Old 04-25-06, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjr24
Yes mmarshall, but the OP had asked about these stereotypes. I am not saying they are right or wrong...but if you took a survey, a gross amount of men drive M and AMG over women...and I think there are many more women driving the RX and SC over men. Draw your own conclusions.
Yes, I agree that more men than women actually drive M's and AMG's, but I don't like the idea of stereotypes because for some people it reinforces an image of " Well, I can't buy or drive this vehicle because it is not socially acceptable, because someone else will make fun of me, my friends will look down on me, my parents won't approve, cops will profile me, my grandpa and grandma drive one, etc........."

An absolutely perfect example is minivans...many males will not be caught dead in one because of the so-called " minivan stigma" which is complete nonsense...in spite of the fact that these vehicles, while admittedly not glamorous, are often the best set of wheels on the road for a married man with a wife, several kids, pets, and things to stow in the back.

Trust me.....I'm not saying this just to hear myself talk ( I talk enough as it is ). I spend a lot of time on and off CL advising people on vehicle purchases and I see this day in and day out...people who know that a certain vehicle or class of vehicle is best for them but they are afraid of what others will think.
Old 04-25-06, 05:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The RX300 is not bad. I wouldn't call it feminine at all. I see more women driving BMW 5-series than men, but we all know 5-series are anything but feminine (welll maybe the 525 )
Old 04-25-06, 06:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
This wasn't a sterotype comment in any way.. A blk on blk RX looks really good. Thats what i mean't..
No, only the first part of my post was meant to be addressing your post.

The second half I was talking to the OP .
Old 04-25-06, 06:14 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

my personal take is get the Infiniti FX... That thing is a major beauty! There isnt ANYTHIGN feminine about that!!! I think everyone on the forums here will agree to it. By far it is THE most aggressive, masculine, sporty, fierce looking crossover/SUV/CUV on the market...THE absolute most attractive. Plus its got a hell of a sport suspension for impressive handling and performance. I would get it hands down over ANY crossover SUV segment hands down when it comes to performance, looks, and ride/handling.

Diamond graphite with black leather with premium package , tech, and sport package... call it a day!
Old 04-25-06, 06:44 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it aint a Tahoe but it sure as heck aint a Miata or s2000 either
Old 04-25-06, 06:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

thats what i thought when i saw the first gen when it debuted, the new ones look real good and i would drive them

Quick Reply: Is an RX300 a little feminine?