Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is an RX300 a little feminine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
my personal take is get the Infiniti FX... That thing is a major beauty! There isnt ANYTHIGN feminine about that!!! I think everyone on the forums here will agree to it.
Yes, because it's FUGLY.

THE absolute most attractive.
I have TRIED to like the looks of the FX. But every time I see one in person I wretch. It's hideous. The front lights are hideously ugly. The side profile is ugly. The back is ugly. The rims are ugly. The interior, especially the awful orange leather shidt combined with just too much chrome trim and the oh so trendy but stupid analog clock you can't see when driving is a no-no.

Plus its got a hell of a sport suspension for impressive handling and performance. I would get it hands down over ANY crossover SUV segment hands down when it comes to performance, looks, and ride/handling.
That makes 5 of you. Congrats. I think it's selling slightly better than bubonic plague.
Old 04-25-06, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I used to hate the RX. Or any SUV for the matter.
LOL. My wife had a Subaru Legacy wagon when we moved to Atlanta. After a few drives on I-285 she felt her life was in danger. The subie didn't have enough launch velocity to merge with endless tractor trailers, SUVs and drivers putting on mascara.

I didn't need much prompting to look for a new vehicle. The RX300 had been out a few months and I immediately saw this was genuinely NEW. The Explorer was the first mainstream SUV (sorry Jeep) but it was as refined as Rodney Dangerfield. The RX - well, this was a Lexus! So we bought our FIRST LEXUS. This was before I got my GS. I was STUNNED that the car was handed to us and I could find NOTHING wrong with it even under a microscopic examination. The folding FLAT rear seats, the slide back/forth rear seats, the genuine comfortable room back there (not just an 'oh yeah there's a back seat but good luck sitting there'), the shifter on the DASH and the DRAWER that pulled out from the center console - all SO COOL - SO UNIQUE. And the power was best in class (we tried all the rest, it was no contest). We had it from '97 to '04 I think - 100,000 miles of trouble free driving, and we hauled all kinds of stuff, including PINE STRAW (cringe) inside that thing. When we sold it (after, ahem, cleaning it up real good!), the people who bought it said "it looks BRAND NEW!". Sniff... parting was sweet sorrow. It was GREAT. So Mike, I know why you've come to like it!

The only thing, as I mentioned earlier, and as you can probably relate being even taller than me, is that your right leg presses on the center console because the front seats should go back an inch or two more.

Then a funny thing happened. ... It started to make sense.
1. It drives like a ES. I have an ES. Its as luxurious and car like as a ES. Your almost giving up nothing from a car-SUV standpoint.
Yes. But BETTER for tall guys like you and I, and I don't think you mentioned this, the higher seating position is GREAT for getting in and out. You open the door and just slide across without bending down. Try getting out of an RX and into a Corvette. You'll get a hernia.

2. Woman do like it.
The like sitting up higher. They like its style (it's not macho, it's stylish, the colors are nice, it's curvy but not goofy, it's classy) - women have good taste!

3. I fell in love with the size. [...] I've swallowed some items that surprised me that it would fit. It really has come in handy for SELOC meets when we need to carry things.
Dead right. It's VERY functional for a vast majority of shopping trips or vacations. Trunks SUCK after you have an SUV. No lifting stuff OVER that back trunk edge.

4. Its a Lexus. Its smooth, luxurious, built like a tank, decent gas mileage (I get 20-21 with AWD). Fit and finish is superb, which is VERY important to me.
Right on. In hindsight I might have the FWD version instead and saved a bit of money, but it felt cool to have AWD and we loved it on the Subaru having come from Pennsylvania with its foul snowy winters, but AWD is good in rain too.

This is not anywhere near an entertaining anything. As a matter of fact, I've gotten more turned on sexually watching ants build their hill, than drive this SUV. When I drive this SUV (its classic Lexus pearl/beige letter) I am no longer angry. I want to join the Red Cross. Its that damn relaxing.
Bwahahaha. I've found that driving something this sensible makes me drive sensibly! And ya know? Driving smoothly, sensibly, and not at twice the speed limits everywhere has its own rewards.

As you get older, its just advantagous to have a SUV or truck to your disposal
(Off Topic) Dang, anyone would think you're 45 like me. One day you and I will both have sporty vehicles again too. But as we discussed recently, I'm sick of sedans. Either give me something truly fun (which means SMALL), or something truly USEFUL (like an SUV, hatchback, or wagon). Sedans are just a compromise. Some are very good, but they're still just that. (End Off Topic)

"The RX. The Metrosexual SUV."
Old 04-25-06, 10:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, because it's FUGLY.

I have TRIED to like the looks of the FX. But every time I see one in person I wretch. It's hideous. The front lights are hideously ugly. The side profile is ugly. The back is ugly. The rims are ugly. The interior, especially the awful orange leather shidt combined with just too much chrome trim and the oh so trendy but stupid analog clock you can't see when driving is a no-no.

That makes 5 of you. Congrats. I think it's selling slightly better than bubonic plague.
If I had space, this would be my new signature!!! I agree 100%. Ugly is being KIND

Old 04-25-06, 10:48 PM
LexFather

LOL. My wife had a Subaru Legacy wagon when we moved to Atlanta. After a few drives on I-285 she felt her life was in danger. The subie didn't have enough launch velocity to merge with endless tractor trailers, SUVs and drivers putting on mascara.

I didn't need much prompting to look for a new vehicle. The RX300 had been out a few months and I immediately saw this was genuinely NEW. The Explorer was the first mainstream SUV (sorry Jeep) but it was as refined as Rodney Dangerfield. The RX - well, this was a Lexus! So we bought our FIRST LEXUS. This was before I got my GS. I was STUNNED that the car was handed to us and I could find NOTHING wrong with it even under a microscopic examination. The folding FLAT rear seats, the slide back/forth rear seats, the genuine comfortable room back there (not just an 'oh yeah there's a back seat but good luck sitting there'), the shifter on the DASH and the DRAWER that pulled out from the center console - all SO COOL - SO UNIQUE. And the power was best in class (we tried all the rest, it was no contest). We had it from '97 to '04 I think - 100,000 miles of trouble free driving, and we hauled all kinds of stuff, including PINE STRAW (cringe) inside that thing. When we sold it (after, ahem, cleaning it up real good!), the people who bought it said "it looks BRAND NEW!". Sniff... parting was sweet sorrow. It was GREAT. So Mike, I know why you've come to like it!

The only thing, as I mentioned earlier, and as you can probably relate being even taller than me, is that your right leg presses on the center console because the front seats should go back an inch or two more.

Yes. But BETTER for tall guys like you and I, and I don't think you mentioned this, the higher seating position is GREAT for getting in and out. You open the door and just slide across without bending down. Try getting out of an RX and into a Corvette. You'll get a hernia.

The like sitting up higher. They like its style (it's not macho, it's stylish, the colors are nice, it's curvy but not goofy, it's classy) - women have good taste!

Dead right. It's VERY functional for a vast majority of shopping trips or vacations. Trunks SUCK after you have an SUV. No lifting stuff OVER that back trunk edge.

Right on. In hindsight I might have the FWD version instead and saved a bit of money, but it felt cool to have AWD and we loved it on the Subaru having come from Pennsylvania with its foul snowy winters, but AWD is good in rain too.

Bwahahaha. I've found that driving something this sensible makes me drive sensibly! And ya know? Driving smoothly, sensibly, and not at twice the speed limits everywhere has its own rewards.

(Off Topic) Dang, anyone would think you're 45 like me. One day you and I will both have sporty vehicles again too. But as we discussed recently, I'm sick of sedans. Either give me something truly fun (which means SMALL), or something truly USEFUL (like an SUV, hatchback, or wagon). Sedans are just a compromise. Some are very good, but they're still just that. (End Off Topic)

"The RX. The Metrosexual SUV."

Right on point bro!

Old 04-26-06, 03:48 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the looks of the RX, but dont think I would buy one. I like the GX better
Old 04-26-06, 03:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Well it aint a Tahoe but it sure as heck aint a Miata or s2000 either
Why try to compare it to a Miata or an S2000? In fact, small RWD sports cars like that are almost worthless on slippery roads anyway, where an AWD RX300 ( or even a FWD one ) is going to shine.
And no...it is not a Tahoe either. Again, why try and compare it? Tahoes are full-sized body-on-frame trucks built for heavy-duty people-moving and towing.
Old 04-26-06, 04:06 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why try to compare it to a Miata or an S2000? In fact, small RWD sports cars like that are almost worthless on slippery roads anyway, where an AWD RX300 ( or even a FWD one ) is going to shine.
And no...it is not a Tahoe either. Again, why try and compare it? Tahoes are full-sized body-on-frame trucks built for heavy-duty people-moving and towing.

What kind of slippery roads are you talking about? Ice and snow? If so, I agree but a lot of other cars have trouble there as well. If you are just talking about rained out wet roads I have to disagree. I've driven the Miata, and the NSX which is supposed to be more touchy in the wet than the S2000 and I have absolutely no trouble driving in heavy rain.
Old 04-26-06, 04:13 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Now I cannot lie. This is not anywhere near an entertaining anything. As a matter of fact, I've gotten more turned on sexually watching ants build their hill, than drive this SUV. When I drive this SUV (its classic Lexus pearl/beige letter) I am no longer angry. I want to join the Red Cross. Its that damn relaxing. The stereo is fine but not great.

So to those that swear I am the most biased man on earth, besides me wanting to tell you go screw yourself or shove an inanimate object, say THE A-TEAM VAN, up your anus, here I am, totally making fun of myself and my Lexus.

I was rolling the whole time reading this section Sick!!!
1. The head of the American red cross on Guam drives an RX and lives in the condo unit right next to me.
2.Brings me back to the old days of "shining something up real nice, turning it sideways and....... "
Old 04-26-06, 04:21 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Yes, because it's FUGLY.

I 100% agree with you on this... The executive operations officer of the bank i work for traded his SC400 for one of these things... everytime i see it It reminds me of a frog... same goes with the G35 sedan and the damn murano, and the van thing. I'd rather buy a Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson. All the other cars in the nissan lineup are decent.. what the hell happened to these ones? Sorry.. I just had to voice my frustrations..
Old 04-26-06, 11:03 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

all new SUV designs are really converging on the RX300 anyway, Tribeca, Tourang, Cayanne, etc etc, all the unibody designs anyway.

Makes the RX a timeless design.

I think the pearl white RX300s are feminine, the Black and Silver are masculaine LOL.
Old 04-26-06, 11:15 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Yes, they are for chickies.
Old 04-27-06, 05:49 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Hello. To those who are not feeling the FX.... you are entitled to your opinions. Please - this is a car chat forums. Stop with the LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS . Lexus is not God. They build excellent cars. That does not mean other makers are pitiful. Some yes - not all. Please refrain from the typical "fanboy" comments you make about lexus lexus lexus. I love lexus as well but that does not overshadow my appreciation of other makers who may build somethign that looks better, handles, feels better. etc. Again - this thread was opened for comments and views on the RX300 being too feminine so I voiced my opinion.

thanks.
Old 04-27-06, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexT
Yes, they are for chickies.
WHY is the RX for " chickies " ? Again...stereotypes. I hear this same stuff about Miatas, MR2 Spyders, and VW Beetles / Cabrios. Please...give me ONE good reason why a male cannot or should not drive one. I have yet to find a reason myself. Even with the Beetle's flower tube next to the steering wheel, one does not have to USE it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-06 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 06:16 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Because he will look like a homo, and most men do not want to look, feel, or act like a homo. Not in reference to the Rx300 but come on a miata???????
Old 04-27-06, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morris
Because he will look like a homo, and most men do not want to look, feel, or act like a homo. Not in reference to the Rx300 but come on a miata???????

Try again.
One of my male co-workers............straight as an arrow........had had TWO Miatas. He LOVES them.
Of course, the Miata IS a difficult car for a large, heavy male to get in and out of, or even sit inside, due to its diminutive size.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-06 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Is an RX300 a little feminine?