Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is an RX300 a little feminine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 07:54 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is an RX300 a little feminine?

Guys,

I was involved in an RX thread some time ago concerning guys driving an RX. The common thought, mine included, was that the RX is more of a females vehicle.

In my continous search for a DD, I can't get away from Lexus. I was looking at some RX300's and I actually, surprisingly like them. I know Sick drives one and I don't think there is a whole lot of feminine likeness about him , but what do you think? Would you drive one?

It's not that I particularly care what other people think, but I also don't want to feel self-concious driving one!

Jonny
Old 04-25-06, 07:57 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 239 Posts

I'd rock the RX300more so than the RX330. The RX330 has much more femininness to it than the 1st gen 300 IMO.
Old 04-25-06, 08:20 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the RX doesn't have the "macho" quality like most SUVs on the market, but I would hardly
call it feminine.

It's more of a "smarter" SUV to me.

I guess it would be a metrosexual SUV.
Old 04-25-06, 08:52 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most RX's I see around (and there are a lot of 'em) are driven by women.
Old 04-25-06, 09:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

In my experience RX's seem to be driven much more often by women than men. They're the stylish alternative to a minivan.

My wife had one and it was great, although I didn't care to drive it long distances because there wasn't enough front leg room and my right leg was pressed into the center console.

The V6 also got kinda noisy as it got older (clattery), but the vehicle was completely reliable except for a piece of trim that kept falling off on the underside of the rear hatch (even the dealer couldn't fix it).

But a used one is a very solid, practical vehicle and a good value. We still kinda regret selling ours to get the truck but we needed the truck and didn't want 3 vehicles. In hindsight we should have sold the GS and kept the RX.
Old 04-25-06, 09:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd rock one also.. especially an all Blk on Blk one.. That about as macho as it gets..LOL
Old 04-25-06, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

I was involved in an RX thread some time ago concerning guys driving an RX. The common thought, mine included, was that the RX is more of a females vehicle.

In my continous search for a DD, I can't get away from Lexus. I was looking at some RX300's and I actually, surprisingly like them. I know Sick drives one and I don't think there is a whole lot of feminine likeness about him , but what do you think? Would you drive one?

It's not that I particularly care what other people think, but I also don't want to feel self-concious driving one!

Jonny
Ha ha ha ha. Let me add some colorful commentary below

Old 04-25-06, 10:07 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
I'd rock the RX300more so than the RX330. The RX330 has much more femininness to it than the 1st gen 300 IMO.

exactly what i was thinking
Old 04-25-06, 10:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I'd rock one also.. especially an all Blk on Blk one.. That about as macho as it gets..LOL
Black on black RX are no bad ar all.

I don't pay much attention to these types of silly car stereotypes anyway, & don't care for the opinions of those that do. Just drive what you like & is useful to you.
Old 04-25-06, 10:24 AM
LexFather

I used to hate the RX. Or any SUV for the matter. I didn't want to hear it, IMO, they were the devil.When Lexus loaned them to me, I hated it. One time, I returned it and told them "I need a CAR to drive" as I felt sick. I hated it b/c the image wasn't there, they were all some sort of pearl with beige leather and I think possibly directly related to loss of testosterone. If George Bush drive a RX, him and Sadaam would be best friends, possibly owning the Texas Rangers together, instead of at war. Its that boring.
Then a funny thing happened.

It started to make sense.

1. It drives like a ES. I have an ES. Its as luxurious and car like as a ES. Your almost giving up nothing from a car-SUV standpoint.
2. Woman do like it. Not just owners, but even before I was rocking this RX, the lady friends I know or even overhear "I want that Lexus SUV" or when one passed "that is a nice SUV". So yes it appeals to woman.
3. I fell in love with the size. Its not some dinasaur sized SUV. Its rather small. Outside the dinasaur sized TURNING RADIUS of the RX (lol), the size is perfect. Easy to park, easy to see out of, and I've swallowed some items that surprised me that it would fit. It really has come in handy for SELOC meets when we need to carry things.
4. Its a Lexus. Its smooth, luxurious, built like a tank, decent gas mileage (I get 20-21 with AWD). Fit and finish is superb, which is VERY important to me.

Now I cannot lie. This is not anywhere near an entertaining anything. As a matter of fact, I've gotten more turned on sexually watching ants build their hill, than drive this SUV. When I drive this SUV (its classic Lexus pearl/beige letter) I am no longer angry. I want to join the Red Cross. Its that damn relaxing. The stereo is fine but not great.

So to those that swear I am the most biased man on earth, besides me wanting to tell you go screw yourself or shove an inanimate object, say THE A-TEAM VAN, up your anus, here I am, totally making fun of myself and my Lexus.

This SUV gets the job done. Its not flashy, it maybe feminine but you can ask the woman I am now having sex in this SUV with what they think of it

Some of you way wonder why I haven't bought a new car? Instead of selling this or trading it in, its a keeper. There will be a SUV to use when needed, and its a LEXUS. As you get older, its just advantagous to have a SUV or truck to your disposal.

Now specifically to the "feminine" part, I think people that buy FXs and Cayennes and X5s (and I like the latter 2) are truly confused, as it makes no sense to buy a sport SUV with less cargo room than a RX. On top of that, its like watching Carl Lewis in the 1984 Olympics run in some BCBG HIGH HEELS. Its borderline retarded. Yeah, you think you "look macho" but I think your an idiot as well as a bunch of people like me. Just buy a damn sports car or wagon.

Then you can talk about those in dinasaur SUVs, Suburban, Tahoe, Armanda etc and say they don't care about the earth , blah blah blah.

You can then talk how LX 470 and Range Rover owners are only concerned with IMAGE and CLASS instead of taking off-road.

You see mates, no matter WHAT YOU DRIVE, people will THINK something YOU DON'T LIKE.

Now are you SECURE enough with yourself to drive WHAT YOU LIKE?

Let me tell you something, those people telling me the RX is feminine ain't paying the note every month

Old 04-25-06, 10:53 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Black on black RX are no bad ar all.

I don't pay much attention to these types of silly car stereotypes anyway, & don't care for the opinions of those that do. Just drive what you like & is useful to you.
This wasn't a sterotype comment in any way.. A blk on blk RX looks really good. Thats what i mean't..
Old 04-25-06, 11:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Even though my RX300 gets a 1/4 mile track nickname known as El Toro Negro or the Black Bull because of its unique exhaust sound upon WOT, I still refer to my RX300 as a she, so I guess it is a little feminine in my case.
Old 04-25-06, 11:23 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know its a feminine car, but I do see alot of women driving it. My mom is going to get one because she says its a "cute little SUV".
Old 04-25-06, 11:24 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

The only Lexus SUV's with ***** are the LX and GX. The rest are womens cars.

Now, would I DRIVE or OWN an RX300? Yes I would........ because they are great SUV's and I wouldn't want to miss out on the experience of owning a great vehicle.
Old 04-25-06, 11:25 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard this too, but I have one and can't see it. Now, the RX330 with power-operated rear door, maybe. You could say that real men open their own doors!

Quick Reply: Is an RX300 a little feminine?