Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I cannot find a damn car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 09:33 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
LOL, here is your problem...

Do you see a theme here?

Anyways, I was having the same problem you were in that I just couldn't find anything that I wanted. The problem was cyclical though. The reason I couldn't find anything that I "wanted" was because Japanese cars are boring, but I was only considering Japanese cars because they're the most reliable. But I can't find anything I want to buy because they're boring and I don't want boring But I only consider Japanese because. they're relia..... screeeech

I've liked my nice and reliable Japanese cars too and they have certainly served me well, but they all have had one thing in common. They're BORING. Acutally, my 5spd Maxima is not bad, but the ride is choppy, the interior is incredibly noisey, and the steering is loose (characteristic), and it does not inspire confidence at all on twisty back roads.

For my next car, I have decided to force myself to go outside of my little comfort zone and try something else that is not Japanese. There's more to cars than JDPA dependability scores, and CR reliability survey rankings. With as boring as Japanese cars are, they sure as heck better be bulletproof, otherwise nobody would buy them. There are European and American cars out there that are 10-100x more exciting to me than anything Japan is making. And so what if I (god forbid) might have to take it into the dealership for an issue once in awhile? If the car makes you grin everytime you get in it and you enjoy it a ton, you're not going to care, because nobody else makes a car like that.

No more Japanese automotive appliances for me.
You're really serious Steve, aren't you?
Old 04-28-06, 05:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK Jonny How about a MIni Cooper S. It is 4cyl with go and excellent handeling.
Old 04-28-06, 06:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
daily driver assumes some kind of reliable nature, which MINI isnt spectacular for
Old 04-28-06, 08:24 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
S,

If I was going to spend $20k I would get another GS

Basically, my theory is, if I am going to spend $15k or more I would just buy another GS.

Yes, I am an idiot - but I know a good thing when I drive one

Jonny
Old 04-28-06, 08:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
S,

Basically, my theory is, if I am going to spend $15k or more I would just buy another GS.

Jonny
LOL. One more car for you which you can get in auto or manual for 15k. Mazda RX8. IT HAS 4 DOORS YOU KNOW
Old 04-28-06, 08:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
LOL, here is your problem...

Do you see a theme here?

Anyways, I was having the same problem you were in that I just couldn't find anything that I wanted. The problem was cyclical though. The reason I couldn't find anything that I "wanted" was because Japanese cars are boring, but I was only considering Japanese cars because they're the most reliable. But I can't find anything I want to buy because they're boring and I don't want boring But I only consider Japanese because. they're relia..... screeeech

I've liked my nice and reliable Japanese cars too and they have certainly served me well, but they all have had one thing in common. They're BORING. Acutally, my 5spd Maxima is not bad, but the ride is choppy, the interior is incredibly noisey, and the steering is loose (characteristic), and it does not inspire confidence at all on twisty back roads.

For my next car, I have decided to force myself to go outside of my little comfort zone and try something else that is not Japanese. There's more to cars than JDPA dependability scores, and CR reliability survey rankings. With as boring as Japanese cars are, they sure as heck better be bulletproof, otherwise nobody would buy them. There are European and American cars out there that are 10-100x more exciting to me than anything Japan is making. And so what if I (god forbid) might have to take it into the dealership for an issue once in awhile? If the car makes you grin everytime you get in it and you enjoy it a ton, you're not going to care, because nobody else makes a car like that.

No more Japanese automotive appliances for me.
You have made these statements at least a thousands times already on other threads - it is getting so tiresome and boring.

Please spare us the agony of reading your repetitive posts regarding three words that you love to write so much about - "boring Japanese cars"........

Nobody is stopping you from buying whatever you want to buy, why are you trying to force feed others with your opinions?? Give us a break please and if you have nothing to suggest to DX3, please keep these boring comments of yours to yourself. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Hameed; 04-28-06 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 10:43 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
S,

Jonny
Go test drive a MCS - you'll be EXCITED to spend the extra $! I will always maintain that there isn't a more fun car to drive and turns more heads in this price range. I bought my MINI S in December with 10 miles on the odo for 23,950, and although KBB doesn't have resale figures for a 2006 model, the trade-in value for a 2005 with my options and 7600 miles is 23,975! Again, that is trade-in for a 2005, not a 2006!!! Hehe how many people can say their car has been a good investment?
Old 04-28-06, 11:11 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
Go test drive a MCS - you'll be EXCITED to spend the extra $! I will always maintain that there isn't a more fun car to drive and turns more heads in this price range. I bought my MINI S in December with 10 miles on the odo for 23,950, and although KBB doesn't have resale figures for a 2006 model, the trade-in value for a 2005 with my options and 7600 miles is 23,975! Again, that is trade-in for a 2005, not a 2006!!! Hehe how many people can say their car has been a good investment?
Yes the MINI Cooper S (or even the base model) is fun and frugal BUT with its insanely high resale value it certainly is not cheap. You'll be very very hard pressed to find one under Dx3's budget of $15k. Go check eBay. Even the first model year (2002) stripped base model Coopers sell at $15k or more.

Hey Dx3, seriously, go test drive a '00 Celica GT/GT-S w/manual transmission and tell me it isn't fun (and cheap).

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-28-06 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 11:50 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

You should get a 1998-2000 Audi A6 with the sports package!

put some 19"s on it and drop it.... SEXY!

Last edited by IronCobra; 04-28-06 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
You should get a 1998-2000 Audi A6 with the sports package!

put some 19"s on it and drop it.... SEXY!
Perhaps....but a used A6 would likely have at least some of the problems we discussed earlier about a used S4, though it is not as likely to have been driven as hard or abused.
Old 04-28-06, 06:16 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

get a bike, then see if you can wipe that grin off your face
Old 04-28-06, 10:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

surprised that nobody's mentioned this one yet.

2007 Toyota Yaris
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108501
Old 04-28-06, 10:36 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
surprised that nobody's mentioned this one yet.

2007 Toyota Yaris
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108501
Economic it is, but fun it is not.
Old 04-28-06, 10:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Economic it is, but fun it is not.
Yea, a Honda Fit would be a better choice IMHO.
Old 04-29-06, 07:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

honda fit annihilated the 15k econobox shootout with 1st place, yaris was 4th, the fits hallmark in that test was its handling and interior

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ap-skates.html

The Fit is sold in more than 70 countries and is known in Europe as the Jazz. It debuts at C/D in typical Honda show-off fashion, winning by 25 points — a cakewalk.

Our little red Fit was the quickest to 60 mph (tied with the Reno) and the quickest in the quarter-mile yet offered the least engine NVH and the second-best observed fuel economy. It came equipped with the most supportive seats, the most expensive-looking interior, an Acura-grade gauge cluster, and the ergonomics of an Accord.

What truly set the Fit apart was its handling — not a pretense of handling but the real deal, with springs and struts that allowed one gentle rebound and no more, the only car here that felt happy storming the switchbacks. We later confirmed this when the Fit sailed through our lane-change test 6 mph faster than anything else here — faster, in fact, than a Corvette Z06.

Quick Reply: I cannot find a damn car!!!