Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I cannot find a damn car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

I saw a Fit on the road the other day. I tried to like it, but it's ugly.
Old 04-29-06, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree, bit, that it is no beauty like the new Mustang, but it is probably no uglier than its bigger brother the new Civic, and the Fit's interior and dash IMO is far better done than the new Civic's quirky two-tier one.
Old 04-29-06, 08:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The reason I couldn't find anything that I "wanted" was because Japanese cars are boring, but I was only considering Japanese cars because they're the most reliable. But I can't find anything I want to buy because they're boring and I don't want boring But I only consider Japanese because. they're relia..... screeeech
Well, maybe not ALL Japanese cars, but I agree most are mind-numbingly boring, espcially Toyota. When I go to Europe, even some of the econoboxes I've rented there are fun, funky, different. When Japanese brands try to do 'different' it's usually just fugly.

But most people WANT boring. Most people WANT an appliance. They just want to drive and go. Yes they want style too, but not too much. It's like putting a cover on your cell phone. It's still a boring cell phone underneath but now it has a green cover. Toyota plays to this. Their vehicle designs are the epitomy of SAFE. Sometimes with a veneer of 'ooh look at me' but not too much!

I went to a Toyota dealer the other day and despite all the hoopla over the new Camry, I was ready to throw up. Most of the ones on the lot had foul wheel covers on what, 15" rims? I saw one SE with it's tacked on body kit, and it looked awful. Talk about boring, AND UGLY. I retain my view that Camry is for people who HATE cars but have to buy one, which is, MOST PEOPLE.

Not all Japanese vehicles are boring though. Check out the new Civic Si. It's definitely not boring. It's innovative, fun to drive, the best stick shift I've ever experienced. Now it IS slow though unless you want to drive at 7000rpms all the time.

Go check out SUBARU. Not boring. The H-4 engine is neat, the AWD excellent, the interior's different enough, and Subies always have a few things different from mainstream vehicles.

There are European and American cars out there that are 10-100x more exciting to me than anything Japan is making. And so what if I (god forbid) might have to take it into the dealership for an issue once in awhile? If the car makes you grin everytime you get in it and you enjoy it a ton, you're not going to care, because nobody else makes a car like that.
I agree. Japanese manufacturers would never build and don't understand something like the Ford Mustang. Now many of you are saying "Thank God!". But hey, go listen to a V8 Mustang START and if that doesn't stir you more than any Japanese car, then check your pulse. It sounds AWWWWWESOME. Is it very practical? No. Is it reliable? Well maybe a tick below the Japanese. But many say who cares, it's FUN! It's CHEAP! It's NEW!

Credit Toyota for building the Supra though, but that was more an abberation. Since then, very little excitement.
Old 04-29-06, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3
That's my problem - nop,. no and no! I don't know why I don't like any of them - I just don't

Jonny
Have you driven a Mazda, VW or Subaru, though as magneto suggested? And if you don't like them, what is it about them you don't like?
Old 04-29-06, 09:22 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
You have made these statements at least a thousands times already on other threads - it is getting so tiresome and boring.

Please spare us the agony of reading your repetitive posts regarding three words that you love to write so much about - "boring Japanese cars"........

Nobody is stopping you from buying whatever you want to buy, why are you trying to force feed others with your opinions?? Give us a break please and if you have nothing to suggest to DX3, please keep these boring comments of yours to yourself. Thank you very much.
I hardly ever post here, only post in Car Chat, and really just came to this personal conclusion of mine quoted above in the past week or two. Not only that, I know I'm not alone either. So I think you need to lighten up, and that obviously you're blowing this way out of proportion. How could I spam up the forum on something that I just came to the conclusion on recently "thousands" of times if I only have a whopping 200 posts since 2003? In fact if you search on my name and the word "boring" in Car Chat you'll see that I've only used that word in 4 other posts including this one. The others were talking about the Avalon, one about fanboyism and how it isolates manufacturers from the competition and can tend to produce dull and "boring" products, and the last one was about NASCAR racing.

You just don't like what I have to say and don't want to hear it, but to each their own. I already did make a suggestion to DX3, to consider looking at things other than Japanese cars. I like to try and experience different things, and I can't get away with that with women (anymore) so I might as well do it with cars.
Old 04-29-06, 09:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. The reason I didn't recommend the Fit was only because of its "boring look". If Dx3 doesn't mind an econobox/mini-minivan look then the Fit will certainly be a good fit.

Otherwise I stand by my Celica recommendation.
Old 04-29-06, 10:12 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
surprised that nobody's mentioned this one yet.

2007 Toyota Yaris
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108501
that car also is pretty damn ugly.

I vote for honda civic Si.
Old 04-29-06, 10:43 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Well, maybe not ALL Japanese cars, but I agree most are mind-numbingly boring, espcially Toyota. When I go to Europe, even some of the econoboxes I've rented there are fun, funky, different. When Japanese brands try to do 'different' it's usually just fugly.
The last time I was in Europe on business I had a Seat Toledo rental. It had a whopping 1.6L 4-banger with a whole 105 hp or something, but I had far more fun driving that than I do in my Maxima with almost double the power. Not only that, the steering was precise, the shifter had short throws, and it handled pretty darn good. It was FUN. When I got back to the states and picked up my car, I couldn't believe how loose and disconnected it felt. It was glaringly obvious how poor the steering was, how long the shifter throws were, and how loose and sloppy the handling was. I seriously thought something was wrong with my car, lol.

But most people WANT boring. Most people WANT an appliance. They just want to drive and go. Yes they want style too, but not too much. It's like putting a cover on your cell phone. It's still a boring cell phone underneath but now it has a green cover. Toyota plays to this. Their vehicle designs are the epitomy of SAFE. Sometimes with a veneer of 'ooh look at me' but not too much!

I went to a Toyota dealer the other day and despite all the hoopla over the new Camry, I was ready to throw up. Most of the ones on the lot had foul wheel covers on what, 15" rims? I saw one SE with it's tacked on body kit, and it looked awful. Talk about boring, AND UGLY. I retain my view that Camry is for people who HATE cars but have to buy one, which is, MOST PEOPLE.
Agree completely on the Camry. I thought the SE with the bodykit stuff was just plain gaudy. Not only that, they screwed up the rear seat room with how aggressively the front seat backs arch rearword, right into my knee space. I could barely sit back there. I fit in the back of a 3-series better just because of the knee space issue. So what mid/large sized car am I supposed to buy from Toyota then? The Avalon?

Not all Japanese vehicles are boring though. Check out the new Civic Si. It's definitely not boring. It's innovative, fun to drive, the best stick shift I've ever experienced. Now it IS slow though unless you want to drive at 7000rpms all the time.

Go check out SUBARU. Not boring. The H-4 engine is neat, the AWD excellent, the interior's different enough, and Subies always have a few things different from mainstream vehicles.
I would pass on the Civic Si and hold out for a Mazdaspeed3, although I do agree that the new Si is definitely a much cooler car than the previous ones have been. I came very very close to buying a WRX once but passed b/c it was just too small. I really like the Legacy GT too and think it's an outstanding car, but too cramped for me. I do fit great in the Mazdaspeed6 though, but it's only available with a 6MT and I promised my wife I'd get something that she could drive too.

I agree. Japanese manufacturers would never build and don't understand something like the Ford Mustang. Now many of you are saying "Thank God!". But hey, go listen to a V8 Mustang START and if that doesn't stir you more than any Japanese car, then check your pulse. It sounds AWWWWWESOME. Is it very practical? No. Is it reliable? Well maybe a tick below the Japanese. But many say who cares, it's FUN! It's CHEAP! It's NEW!

Credit Toyota for building the Supra though, but that was more an abberation. Since then, very little excitement.
You're right that "boring" is what most people want. Heck, it used to be what I wanted too, because I NEEDED 100% reliable transportation, at the cost of everything else if necessary. But times change, priorities change, and at least with myself I've found that that just isn't true anymore. Like I've said, my Japanese cars have served me exceptionally well, but now I want something else, and bulletproof reliablity is no longer a requirement either. What made that a reality for me before is no longer my reality.
Old 04-29-06, 10:45 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

The Fit is definitely a good choice. I've seen a ton of these on the road in east Asia and they at least look awesome, and apparently handle pretty darn good too.
Old 04-29-06, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The last time I was in Europe on business I had a Seat Toledo rental. It had a whopping 1.6L 4-banger with a whole 105 hp or something, but I had far more fun driving that than I do in my Maxima with almost double the power. Not only that, the steering was precise, the shifter had short throws, and it handled pretty darn good. It was FUN. When I got back to the states and picked up my car, I couldn't believe how loose and disconnected it felt. It was glaringly obvious how poor the steering was, how long the shifter throws were, and how loose and sloppy the handling was. I seriously thought something was wrong with my car, lol.

Well, this gets back to what I said earlier about the Miata. It has many of the same characteristics the Seat Toledo does....right-now steering, seat-of-the-pants chassis and handling, short-throw shifter and clutch, more HP ( 166 vs. 105 ), and Japanese reliability to boot. In addition, you can have fun in the sun with the simple-to-operate ragtop. In other words, the Miata, if you can fit in it, is FUN...just like a Toledo.