Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sold the GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 10:13 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey bit any problems with your new explorer ?? just curious cause my mom is picking up her new limited tomarrow!! and man that sucker is loaded i was impressed with all the features people knock them i think because they havent seen the inside and all its features !!
Old 09-04-06, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Glad you like what the Explorer Limited offers. I just got back from Europe and drove the Explorer from the airport home so it was like driving it for the first time again if you know what I mean. It's really VERY nice. Especially nice is how quiet it is.

Is your Mom getting the V8? I found the throttle response on the V6 to be a bit abrupt and the V8 is quieter too.

No problems at all with the Explorer. It has nearly 5000 miles now and I haven't been back to the dealer but will shortly for an oil change.

I got the nav and really like it (super fast, good data, pin point accurate tracking) although the screen could be bigger like on Acuras and recent Lexuses.

Thanks for asking. Any other questions, fire away!
Old 09-04-06, 10:07 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Glad you like what the Explorer Limited offers. I just got back from Europe and drove the Explorer from the airport home so it was like driving it for the first time again if you know what I mean. It's really VERY nice. Especially nice is how quiet it is.

Is your Mom getting the V8? I found the throttle response on the V6 to be a bit abrupt and the V8 is quieter too.

No problems at all with the Explorer. It has nearly 5000 miles now and I haven't been back to the dealer but will shortly for an oil change.

I got the nav and really like it (super fast, good data, pin point accurate tracking) although the screen could be bigger like on Acuras and recent Lexuses.

Thanks for asking. Any other questions, fire away!
naa no v8 they didnt have any plus she didnt want a gas guzzler but she got every option pretty much nav,power rear 50/50 seats,tv,dvd,17" chromes,heated seats,adjustable peadles, thats just to name a few the interior is all black which is very nice dark cherry woodgrain and the color is a dark cherry metallic ford has come along way !!!
Old 09-04-06, 09:17 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice buy, as for your choice all i can say is buy what you want, and something new is always out there no matter what you are looking for. Ford has been really doing a great job with the designs of the explorers, and expeditions. I came so close to getting a new explorer limited in 05 but i waited for something really more practical and i waited for the 06 tacoma sport double cab. Fords pearl white is realy nice.
Old 09-04-06, 10:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
naa no v8 they didnt have any plus she didnt want a gas guzzler but she got every option pretty much nav,power rear 50/50 seats,tv,dvd,17" chromes,heated seats,adjustable peadles, thats just to name a few the interior is all black which is very nice dark cherry woodgrain and the color is a dark cherry metallic ford has come along way !!!
Sounds really great! And I am glad someone else on this Lexus board sees Ford has come a long way.

Also, being tall I really appreciate the giant front seat leg room. I didn't find any other SUV as comfortable.
Old 09-04-06, 10:27 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats my man!

It is ALWAYS nice to get something fresh/new/different. I think it's one of the nicest vehicles in it's class..... next to the Pathfinder of course.
Old 09-05-06, 10:47 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I had a 94 Explorer and to date it is still the most fun I've had in a vehcile ever. Of course, the record snows in New York City 1996 (1997?) certainly helped with that impression.
Old 09-06-06, 03:33 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Congrats Bit!

Another thing on the Explorer - my insurance went DOWN compared to my 6 yr old GS. I guess that's due to cost of repairs and likelihood of accidents. Interesting.
The GS was rated like the 3rd most expensive car to insure a while back. I think if you don't have the suspension mods, then it is considered dangerous (j/k).
Old 04-06-07, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Well, it's been a year since I got the 2006 Ford Explorer Limited V8 2WD.

About 9000 miles later, one oil change and tire rotation so far. Zero defects.

Car has not one creak, squeak or rattle. Interior/exterior still look good, and people comment on how the interior smells so nice.

The good:
- Car is extremely quiet
- 6 speed auto is very nice
- 300HP V8 is plenty powerful
- Factory navigation system is lightning fast and much more accurate than the one I had in my 2GS
- Absolutely love the numeric keypad to lock/unlock the car - I never need to worry about keys and I usually just leave them hidden in the vehicle.
- The 'information center' allows a lot of preferences to be set by ME. For example, do I want the doors to auto-lock as the car gets up to speed? How long do I want the exterior or interior courtesy lights to stay on (if at all) when I get in/out of the car?

The not so good:
- Over abrupt bumps like speed bumps the suspension is stiff. Normal highway ride though is very comfortable
- I get about 17mpg on average (my new MX-5 however gets about 30mpg!)
- Didn't come with a cargo cover for the large cargo space at the back

Anyway, I'm posting this update because someone might find the info useful and to say I have no regrets about my purchase. If I recall correctly, my pretty loaded Explorer was $38K out the door (incl. tax, tags, title, etc.) with extended bumper to bumper 6yr/60k warranty.
Old 04-06-07, 10:30 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

- The 'information center' allows a lot of preferences to be set by ME. For example, do I want the doors to auto-lock as the car gets up to speed? How long do I want the exterior or interior courtesy lights to stay on (if at all) when I get in/out of the car?
Glad to hear your enjoying the SUV Bit I had a '98 Lincoln Mark VIII that had those 'information center' features as well and I liked it. It also had the keypad on the door, GREAT feature(although I didnt figure out what my code was until about a year after I bought it LOL)! I wish my LS had that feature.
Old 04-07-07, 04:56 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

WOW what a small world. my last 2 SUV's were explorers. a 2000 5.0L V8 all the goodies and a 2004 4.6L V8 (still have in the states) with all the goodies. they have really improved the truck as a whole. the 06+ have more power (nice 3V engine) than the 04 and rides better. i love my 04 and when i get back to the states, i might buy an 08 to replace my low miled (thanks japan) 04. they did have a very touchy throttle from 2000 to the 2005 but i guess they fixed it in 06. congrats

EDIT-- didnt see the date on the post. sorry. great truck anyway.

Last edited by okiaristo; 04-07-07 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-07-07, 05:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, it's been a year since I got the 2006 Ford Explorer Limited V8 2WD.

About 9000 miles later, one oil change and tire rotation so far. Zero defects.

Car has not one creak, squeak or rattle. Interior/exterior still look good, and people comment on how the interior smells so nice.

- I get about 17mpg on average (my new MX-5 however gets about 30mpg!)
Sounds like everything is going well.....but you might be stretching it a little on those oil changes, especially if you didn't do a 1000-mile one after break-in.

I wouldn't worry about the 17 MPG overall. That's not bad at all for a mid-sized, V8 truck-based SUV. In stop-and-go driving, I don't get much more than that, especially in cold weather, on my AWD Outback, with a much smaller engine. Your Explorer can be run in the more economical 2WD mode
..the Outback can't unless you pull a fuse.
Old 04-07-07, 08:43 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... I can only tell you in my experience you are extremely lucky or extremely deaf. That or the 2006 models finally got it "right", or the rattles just haven't showed up quite yet.

By 50k miles every Explorer I've sat in has had so many rattles I wanted to cry and I didn't even own the darn things.
Old 04-07-07, 09:09 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Also, being tall I really appreciate the giant front seat leg room. I didn't find any other SUV as comfortable.
How do you manage to squeeze into the Miata when you can barely get comfortable in an SUV?
Old 04-07-07, 10:08 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope you got a huge discount on it.

Quick Reply: Sold the GS