Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson on the IS250

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 01:04 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever seen one being driven by a woman? In fact have you ever seen any Lexus being driven by a woman?

I know millions of people that will agree to that. Go to Saudi Arabia and you'll see more Lexuses per square kilometer than anywhere else on earth, and 100% of them are driven by men*.
(*on public roads only)
Old 05-01-06, 02:09 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^^
That's the part I find rather silly on Clarkson's part. Here in SoCal, half of the Lexus' I've seen are driven by women. In fact, more ES' and RX's are driven by women as far as I can see. So his argument does not hold water in the US.

And in fact, I'd tend to believe women gravitate toward the Lexus for their smooth, quiet ride, and easy-to-use features. The Lexus engineers didn't use extended nails while testing the console buttons for nothing...?
Old 05-01-06, 02:21 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
^^^
That's the part I find rather silly on Clarkson's part. Here in SoCal, half of the Lexus' I've seen are driven by women. In fact, more ES' and RX's are driven by women as far as I can see. So his argument does not hold water in the US.

And in fact, I'd tend to believe women gravitate toward the Lexus for their smooth, quiet ride, and easy-to-use features. The Lexus engineers didn't use extended nails while testing the console buttons for nothing...?

I agree. In my state I would say it is about a 50/50 guess as to who is driving a Lexus. I would say more women drive the ES and RX, more men seem to drive the LX and GX, and it is about a 50/50 between the GS and LS. Oh, and I think more men drive the IS as well.
Old 05-01-06, 04:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
Have you ever seen one being driven by a woman? In fact have you ever seen any Lexus being driven by a woman?

I know millions of people that will agree to that. Go to Saudi Arabia and you'll see more Lexuses per square kilometer than anywhere else on earth, and 100% of them are driven by men*.
(*on public roads only)
That is partly because of the Saudi culture that denies women some of the privilidges that men get...including a drivers' license.

However, over and above that, I don't buy the arguement that Lexus vehicles don't ( or can't ) appeal to auto " enthusiasts " because of a smooth, quiet ride. First of all, the ride in an IS isn't really that smooth or quiet, and second, what's WRONG with smoothness and refinement...especially at the end of a long working day when you are tired and don't want to be beat up going over sharp bumps? And as far as a lack of handling is concerned, I have yet to drive a Lexus sedan or coupe that I thought had truly sloppy handling....even the comfort-oriented FWD ES.
Old 05-01-06, 06:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

need more women like clarksons wife
Old 05-01-06, 09:26 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason why there arent that many females drivers of lexus in the UK is because the culture difference. My cousin married a british gilr she drove an MX5 Mazda. She didnt consider her self as being into cars but she has never driven or owned an automatic before and she new her car was called a miata in the states. I think that people in the uk are drawn to sportier cars than americas so maybe if lexus made there styling sportier and offered more manuals wed see more british women driving Lexus.
Old 05-01-06, 10:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty good review comming from Clarckson, LOL.
Old 05-01-06, 12:19 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

considering Britain and Europe's distate for Lexuses in general....i'd consider this a very good review from Clarkson.

and that's saying a lot.
Old 05-01-06, 12:38 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All he can really say is that women in the UK don't buy Lexus cars. Why not? Who knows and who cares... It's a completely different market from here, dominated by manual trannies and many brands and models that we don't even have stateside. And Lexus' product offering there is completely different from what they offer here.

Maybe in the UK no one who is a car enthusiast would buy a Lexus, but over here it's obviously a different story... as anyone who has ever looked at this website knows.

Last edited by diablo1; 05-01-06 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 01:05 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

They just need to get the IS350 that will help put more women in lexus cars in the UK.
Old 05-06-06, 08:04 PM
LexFather

I give the big FU to those that are linking this thread to their forums then saying "we are biased" like their forum is a bunch of honest Catholic Priests.

Well they are gay like those priests, and not nearly as honest.

Please if you cannot post here and not cry on another forum, don't post.

How old are you people?