Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2006 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 10:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Finally, I will also go on record as saying that BMW will not outsell Lexus as long as people continue to purchase 10,000 plus RXs per year. Take away that model and BMW crushes Lexus - but oh boy does it sell.
Lexus sells 10,000 plus RX's a MONTH.

I think the new ES is going to be a huge hit.
Old 05-04-06, 04:19 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Failure

I would not go so far as to call the GS a failure - considering it is in the middle of its class {BMW being first & Acura being last}. They probably are not happy being outsold by Infiniti but this is supposed to be a sport sedan & I think Infiniti {& Acura} are more known for their performance where Lexus is known for more luxury features like smooth quiet rides - which are not exactly sporty. Now, if the Infiniti I35 outsold the ES330, then I would call it a failure.

Old 05-04-06, 05:41 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Just take away the 3-series and Lexus crushes BMW as well.
Here we go again - let's recap.
The RX is TWO models. The 3-series is 12! It better sell a bunch!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lexus sells 10,000 plus RX's a MONTH.

I think the new ES is going to be a huge hit.
Cut me some slack bit, I was tired! But yes, per month is what I meant.
Old 05-04-06, 11:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default DaimlerChrysler: April Mercedes (world-wide) sales dip

Associated Press/FRANKFURT, Germany

MAY. 4 11:23 A.M. ET

DaimlerChrysler AG said Thursday that April sales of its Mercedes Car Group, including the Smart micro division, dropped 5 percent from the same month in the previous year.

The German-U.S. automaker said its Mercedes Car Group sold 100,800 cars in April 2006, down from the 105,700 during the same month in the previous year.

The picture was not entirely bleak -- sales in Western Europe have increased so far this year through April by 2 percent to 248,100 units and U.S. sales were up by 16 percent during the period, to 72,500 units.

The Mercedes division is in the middle of a turnaround, but still posted an operating loss of 505 million euros ($612.31 million) for 2005, compared with a profit of 1.7 billion euros the year before.

DaimlerChrysler is looking ahead to the launch of its new CL-Class Mercedes-Benz later in the year.
Old 05-04-06, 12:12 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Corolla had a clear lead over the new Civic sales-wise, which is surprising.
I just bought my youngest daughter a 2006 Corolla S. It was a tough choice between the Corolla and the Civic but the Corolla could had for invoice. That made the price difference to great to pass up.
Old 05-04-06, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

You probably were not aware that they had a model changeover. New 07s started being produced in March. 5-series cars were hard to come by in March as only remaining 06s were around.

Edit - I will also go on record as saying the IS sales will decrease as the year goes on. The car is HOT right now, but that market is limited and with only two models......

Also for those of you who could not read Gene's post, he pointed out that BMW is sellling 11,000 3-series to the 4,500 ISs BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE MODELS OF THE 3-SERIES! His point was simply that Lexus needs/should have come out with more variations of the IS if they wanted to capture serious market share.

Finally, I will also go on record as saying that BMW will not outsell Lexus as long as people continue to purchase 10,000 plus RXs per year. Take away that model and BMW crushes Lexus - but oh boy does it sell.
well, you take out RX our of Lexus sales and 3 series out of BMW sales, and Lexus is still ahead :-).
In fact, BMW is more dependant on 3 series sales than Lexus on RX's (greater % of total sales).

Another plus would be the fact that RX starts at 37k while 3 series start at 32k, so Lexus most sold model is pricier than BMW's most sold model. Additionally, dealer and Lexus margins for SUV's are larger for small sedans.

I am pretty sure that Lexus would rather sell 10,000 RX's than IS's....
Old 05-05-06, 06:17 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Ford Hybrids

Sales of Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner Zoom
The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, May 4, 2006

Combined April sales of the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid more than doubled over March, and increased 68 percent compared to April 2005 sales, according to a company news release.

Ford said it has had three months of hybrid sales increases, fueled by rising gas prices, company and government incentives, and increasing consumer awareness of the benefits of Ford's hybrid products.

"There is a strong market for hybrids, provided they are attainable and affordable," says Al Giombetti, President of Ford and Lincoln Mercury. "More and more consumers want to improve their fuel economy, both to save money at the pump and to limit the social and environmental impacts of oil consumption. Offering up to an 80 percent increase in fuel economy, up to $5,925 in tax incentives, and an affordable purchase price makes the Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid very compelling for consumers."

Ford says it has committed to producing up to 250,000 hybrids a year globally by 2010. Ford promises to offering hybrid technology in at least eight vehicles, including: Ford Escape, Fusion, Five Hundred, and Edge; Mercury Mariner, Milan, Montego; and Lincoln MKX.

Old 05-05-06, 07:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Default Crossover vehicles pass up SUVs on road to growing sales

Posted 5/3/2006 10:40 PM ET

By Sharon Silke Carty, USA TODAY

DETROIT — For the first time in April, crossover vehicles made up more than 50% of the overall SUV market, showing that buyers are willing to forgo the ability to drive off-road to enjoy a more comfortable ride and, often, better fuel economy.
Power Information Network says crossovers accounted for 53% of SUV sales in April, a 3-percentage-point jump from March.

Crossovers offer SUV-like convenience and a carlike ride. They are built on a car chassis, while traditional SUVs are built on a truck platform.

April was "really a milestone for the crossover market," says Tom Libby, senior director of industry analysis at PIN. "The crossover market has reached huge visibility. Crossovers didn't even exist in any volume a few years ago."

George Pipas, manager of sales analysis for Ford Motor, says the company predicted consumers would shift out of traditional SUVs eventually. "We just didn't know it would happen so quickly."

Crossovers, sometimes referred to as CUVs, are growing in popularity at least in part because there are simply more of them on the market today. The segment didn't exist until 1996. Now nearly every automaker has at least one in its lineup.

General Motors says it will double the number of crossovers it offers in four years to 14.

Jeep, which has built its reputation on SUVs that can tackle the worst of off-road conditions, is coming out with Patriot, a road-only SUV.

Automakers ranging from luxury brands BMW and Mercedes-Benz to thrifty South Koreans Hyundai and Kia either have crossovers on the market or will soon.

Chris Benko, an analyst at PricewaterhousCoopers Automotive Institute, said in a recent research note that he expects automakers will build about 2.5 million crossovers next year out of an annual production schedule averaging about 17 million.

But automakers risk flooding the market, he said. Recent introductions at auto shows "suggest consumers may become 'paralyzed with choice' in a sea of non-distinct CUV product."

Jim Hall, an analyst at AutoPacific, says the popularity of crossovers doesn't mean the death of traditional SUVs.

"What you have here is the ongoing evolution of SUVs," he says, noting that many consumers can't tell the difference between an SUV and a crossover. "These are seen as an alternative to SUVs that they don't have to make a lot of compromises for."

Gas prices may be factoring in to consumer decisions. In April, Toyota RAV4 outsold Ford Explorer, the top-selling SUV, for the first time. A two-wheel-drive six-cylinder RAV, built on a car platform, gets on average 25 miles to the gallon, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. A similar Ford Explorer gets 17 mpg.

"Crossovers tend to be midsize or smaller and more fuel-efficient," Libby says.

But Hall doesn't think gas prices are the deciding factor for crossover buyers yet. Instead, they are buying because they can get an SUV that fits their needs, he says.

source : usatoday
Old 05-05-06, 04:04 PM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Hello, first of all, let me start by saying bravo to infinti, they did a great job with the M and deserve to sell well. But to say that the GS is a failure is just funny! Each car appeals to certain people.
Now lets talk facts; it is a fact that infiniti/nissan has higher incentives then toyota/lexus. So not only is the M a cheaper car but it also offers more discounts; so it becomes even cheaper (price advantage). Second; Lexus sales are spread through many vehicles, for the GS300/430 and now 450h, there’s the IS350 (which is GS300 money but with incredible performance, so you might see many sales go there), there’s the new ES which is also close to GS money. Then, of course, as far as the GS430 is concerned, there is the LS430, and maybe the SC430, which are both in the neighborhood of GS430/450h pricing (slightly more expensive).
What im trying to say, is that a potential costumer that walks in to a lexus delearship, with the GS430 in mind, might end up deciding to go for an LS430 by paying more (but getting more) and in some unusual cases, he might end up going for an SC430.
Im not even going to talk about some costumers that might end up buying an SUV such as the RX350/400h or GX470. They are all, give or take, connected price wise to the GS300/430.

Where as over at infiniti, that’s not the case. The Q45 doesnt sell at all to an extent it seems as if it doesn’t exist. We also don’t know how many M45 Infiniti sells compared to the M35. But I assume that most of them are 35s. Then there is the G35 coupe and sedan, which sold extremely well, but were priced lower than the M, so it has its own and different customer base. So infiniti only has 2 or 3 choices mainly concentrated around the M and G, were as lexus has 4 or 5 choices, so lexus sales are distributed among its lineup (LS, GS, IS, ES etc).

I really like the GS, I think its one of the most beautiful cars especially when you see it in person or on the road, it’s a very stylish, sporty yet luxurious/elegant car. It has excellent quality material, perfect fit and finish, top safety and security, and finally technology and convenience. But it has 3 weaknesses in the GS300 and 1 in the GS430 compared to the M. The 3.0litre although very high-tech and efficient, is not exactly fast, I mean it moves alright, but compared to the v6 competitors, it’s rather on the slower end (That problem will be solved by this summer with the new 3.5 V6). There is the Nav Display, but this will be solved too this summer. Then, there is the lack of space for rear passengers (that applies to both, the GS models). Im sure lexus could have made it bigger if they wanted, but I know they didn’t because they wanted to reserve that for the LS market.

IMPORTANT: The M serves 2 segments for infinti (since their flagship, the Q barely sells), it’s a midsize luxury sedan with midsize luxury sedan pricing AND its also serves to the premium luxury segment by offering ample rear space and optional rear seat accommodations. That’s a good stragtegy, for Infiniti’s current situation. But this strategy wont benefit Lexus, their flagship, the LS, is their most important car, and from day 1 lexus has spent tremendous amounts of money, effort and R&D to develop the LS until it eveolved to what it is today. The LS is a valuable asset to Lexus, Infiniti doesn’t have that, they re just trying to get hold of anything.
So in the end, for those that thinks infiniti won the race, look at the whole picture. Lexus has an upper hand in the $40k+ market.
Old 05-05-06, 04:04 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, you take out RX our of Lexus sales and 3 series out of BMW sales, and Lexus is still ahead :-).
In fact, BMW is more dependant on 3 series sales than Lexus on RX's (greater % of total sales).

Another plus would be the fact that RX starts at 37k while 3 series start at 32k, so Lexus most sold model is pricier than BMW's most sold model. Additionally, dealer and Lexus margins for SUV's are larger for small sedans.

I am pretty sure that Lexus would rather sell 10,000 RX's than IS's....
Once again, the RX is two models, the 3-series is 12 - why is this so hard to understand? The 3-series better sell well - it is more models! And I'm not sure if you have ever been to the US - but trying to find a 3-series for less than $37K sticker is almost impossible - unless you order it.
Old 05-05-06, 05:11 PM
xioix
Racer

Once again, the RX is two models, the 3-series is 12 - why is this so hard to understand? The 3-series better sell well - it is more models! And I'm not sure if you have ever been to the US - but trying to find a 3-series for less than $37K sticker is almost impossible - unless you order it.
Not really hard, I just used vehix and found several 325's under 37k and several ~32k, and the RX isn't 2 models it's 4, FWD, AWD, Hybrid FWD, Hybrid AWD, and when I went to the BMW site the 3 series has 9 models, 11 with M

Last edited by xioix; 05-05-06 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-06-06, 11:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Default Toyota Reports Record Sales of Certified Used Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., May 5, 2006 -- Toyota reported record-shattering monthly sales of 23,852 certified used vehicles, up over 1,400 units from the previous record month of May in 2003.

Calendar-year-to-date Toyota sold 83,481 certified used units, an increase of 105.6 percent over the previous year.

"Toyota trade-ins continue to supply the certified used inventory," said Al Smith, Toyota corporate fleet manager, "and Toyota certified used vehicles offer customers a good option for quality vehicles at a tremendous value."

Over 1.5 million Toyota certified used vehicles have been sold since the program started in 1996.

source : theautochannel
Old 05-06-06, 08:01 PM
LexFather

My God, I just happened to browse the other Japanese forums and you the tremendous hard-on some of those guys got b/c the M beat the GS in sales two months out of 14 years is

We don't link threads here but I was seriously laughing.

Especially after the Lakers got whooped

Old 05-10-06, 07:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Default Top 30 Best-Selling Cars in Japan for APRIL 2006

1.TOYOTA VITZ (YARIS HB/LB) 9,550
2.TOYOTA COROLLA 9,450
3.TOYOTA ESTIMA 9,265
4.HONDA FIT 7,002
5.TOYOTA CROWN 5,371