Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Streets of Tomorrow(test drive event)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 05:26 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds nice, i would keep my eye open. but since it's a charity event, i think we would need to donate money too right? this sounds like a good idea
The charity part is the driving part.

Every mile you put on the BMW, BMW NA donates $1.
Old 04-12-06, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
The charity part is the driving part.

Every mile you put on the BMW, BMW NA donates $1.
hehe then sounds like there is no reason for me not to attend

anyway, about the age thing.... i don't want to offend anyone. i was young too and i was like you guys when i was before 25. but seriously, how many people before 25 are real perspective buyers of these expensive vehicles? more likely their parents are.

again, please don't take it offensively, i was like you guys too before. but i am just giving 2 cents for audi
Old 04-12-06, 08:56 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyway, about the age thing.... i don't want to offend anyone. i was young too and i was like you guys when i was before 25. but seriously, how many people before 25 are real perspective buyers of these expensive vehicles? more likely their parents are.
rominl, that's true, however I'd probably speculate that insurance costs played a large role as well. I think many car rental companies won't rent to drivers under 25 for the same reasons.

I'm sure when setting up the events their insurance company said "if you want to let people over 25 drive, it's gonna cost you X, if you want to allow 21+ it's gonna be 3X... if you want 18+ to drive it's gonna be 10X".
Old 04-12-06, 09:18 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe then sounds like there is no reason for me not to attend

again, please don't take it offensively, i was like you guys too before. but i am just giving 2 cents for audi

hm. you've got a point...

just gotta wait 5 years...
Old 04-12-06, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
rominl, that's true, however I'd probably speculate that insurance costs played a large role as well. I think many car rental companies won't rent to drivers under 25 for the same reasons.

I'm sure when setting up the events their insurance company said "if you want to let people over 25 drive, it's gonna cost you X, if you want to allow 21+ it's gonna be 3X... if you want 18+ to drive it's gonna be 10X".
come to think about it, for these driving events, what if something happen?!
Old 04-12-06, 09:52 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Yup, I agree, I believe it's more on the insurance stronghold side.

Should anything happen, like on the Susan G Komen drive. As long as you are driving ON the route they told you to, you are covered by their insurance.

So far, I have attended BMW, Mercedes ML drive, Taste of Lexus, GM Auto show in motion. No problems whatsoever on any drives. Heck, BMW lets you take out the 7 series!

I agree, that most younger people would not be prospective buyers. One more year and I'm 25! Then I'll drive the **** outta the Audi event.
Old 04-12-06, 09:46 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Well, my 2 cents on the issue is this: less-than-25-year-olds grow up to be 25+ year olds - and then they desire to buy automobiles. Good experience with a brand early can translate to sales later.

If the insurance pushed for the age restriction then fine. But if the limit was placed by Audi - then I think it's misguided.

M.
Old 04-12-06, 09:51 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ShadyJC

I agree with your assessment. Whoever underwrote the insurance for the event probably evaluated the risk of property and liability losses to be much higher with participation of younger drivers and the costs for insuring against those expected losses would have been accounted for in a higher AFP.

I guess my gripe isn't w/ Audi or the business of insurance; it's more with dumb people that make the 18-25 pool so costly to insure.

M.
Old 04-13-06, 07:31 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

thanks... can't wait for May 7
Old 04-13-06, 07:51 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link. I signed up for the Dallas event which is being held out at Southfork Ranch. We use to own 2 Audi's until the Lexus bug strung us. My wife is still driving the X5 but can't wait until the lease is up in December to buy a GX470 . However, she is very interested in the Q7 so we will see.
Old 04-13-06, 01:20 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Regarding the insurance issue and pricing, I think Audi is just stingy.

Lexus allowed 21 and above to drive at Taste of Lexus event.
BMW too.
And Mercedes, even better at 18+. When they were trying to promote the C-class, they held an event at my alma mater, Penn State Univ, and they allowed all students to come into the school's parking lot and drive the cars in a set up course, with a pro-driver sitting beside you.
The result? By the end of the semester, I saw a big increase in C-classes in comparison to the 3-series and A4s around campus.

Of course, there is a premium to let under 25 year olds to drive their cars. However, as someone has mentioned, get them hooked on the brand early enough, and when they have purchasing power, then they will buy you.

edit:
disclaimer, I am 23 years old. So, yea I might have an ulterior motive.
Old 04-13-06, 04:43 PM
Lexwang07

I am turning this year 25 years old, and I'll check it out Audi event! I hadn't went any car makers event my life! I signed up Audi Streets of Tommorrow! Brand new Audi RS4 and Q7!
Old 05-02-06, 06:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Audi test drive event

Hey guys. Audi is having a test drive even in a city near you. You even get to burn rubber in the new 420 horse V8 RS4 click here for details http://www.audistreetsoftomorrow.com/
Old 05-02-06, 06:45 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Oh no - the NYC one is already over!
Old 05-09-06, 07:51 AM
LexFather

From my reading various internet forums
1. They do have RS4, that is right 420hp limited production RS4 to drive
HOWEVER
2. People have been driving them(well technically how your supposed to drive them) like bats outta hell and people bragging on the net and well, I think Audi only lets you RIDE In the car now with a professional driver.

Quick Reply: Audi Streets of Tomorrow(test drive event)