Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW (long)-the Atlanta Auto(reviews, surprises, let downs and brutal honesty)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06 | 12:46 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Nice write-up 1SIC. It's good to have someone report first hand experiences with all
of the cars these days.

Funny how you can the success and attitude of car companies by the displays they
have at a auto convention. When I was at the LA auto show, the Acura booth was
pretty deserted too. You actually kind of felt sorry for the people who work there.

Too bad Porsche wasn't there. They usually keep their cars locked up anyway.
Old 05-06-06 | 06:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
Nice write-up 1SIC. It's good to have someone report first hand experiences with all
of the cars these days.

Funny how you can the success and attitude of car companies by the displays they
have at a auto convention. When I was at the LA auto show, the Acura booth was
pretty deserted too. You actually kind of felt sorry for the people who work there.

Too bad Porsche wasn't there. They usually keep their cars locked up anyway.
Thanks. I have to say in general, most new cars are pretty well built with good features, a far cry from 15 years ago. To be honest, many non luxury brands cars are IMO just as good or better from an interior standpoint and fit and finish standpoint than some luxury brands.
Many have come a LONG way.

Lexus continues to move up and keep customers.I had a great conversation with an older couple who were checking out the LS 600h L. We started talking and I was trying to give them some "CL:" info on the car.

THe lady was like "Do you work for Lexus?"

I just smiled.

THey owned a LX 470 and a 1990 LS 400. The husband loved his LS, had over 120k miles and he said the best car he ever owned, all his BMWs broke down and he's never going back.

I see them in that LS 600 h L as a gift to themselves, the top Lexus.
Old 05-06-06 | 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nice write-up on the Atlanta show. You're a couple of steps ahead of me now...I haven't seen the new ES yet or the LS600...I was hoping to see the new LS460 at the DC show but they took both of them directly from Detroit direcftly to Geneva.

Don't downplay the Atlanta show too much...or the Atlanta area. It, like the DC show, may not be quite the largest auto show in the buisness, but the Atlanta show is important......It is now serves one of the largest new-car markets in the country ( third only to SoCal and DC-Baltimore ) and also has the 3rd or 4th worst traffic congestion depending on whose stats you look at.

I agree with many of your comments n the vehicles themselves.......with a few exceptions. I think a little more of the Acura RL than you do, and while I agree that the Fit is a much nicer car than the Yaris, both have excellent paint jobs...especially for entry-level econocars.
The Avalon's don't all have just metallic trim......you must have looked at the Touring version. The XLS and Limited have orangish-color swirl-pattern wood.

The Buick Lucerne's dash may LOOK flashy...especially the top-dog V8 CXS model.....but trust me...it's the same old GM plastic-cheapness underneath. ( see my review of this car several months ago)

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-07-06 | 04:55 AM
vvn
Rookie

great review.
Old 05-07-06 | 09:13 AM
LexFather

I just found out, Acura did not bring the RD-X with them. IMO, stupid, as Atlanta does like its Acuras and some people were pissed it wasn't there.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting the 600h to be there
Old 05-07-06 | 01:02 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

i know u checked out the butler tire display. some sick cars.
anyway, i think the atlanta show is getting weaker by the year.
i couldnt believe they were letting people inside the Z06. they dont even have enough to sell and now they have one with a worn out interior.
also the SL55 AMG. it had white leather and the outside bolster was dirty black by wednesday when i was there..
Old 05-07-06 | 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
y the year.
i couldnt believe they were letting people inside the Z06. they dont even have enough to sell and now they have one with a worn out interior.
No real problem. With Chevy's vast assets ( nonwithstanding GM so-called monetary troubles ) they'll just put a couple of new seats in it, hook up the wires and seating-comfort devices, and check the doors after repeated openings and closings for new-car gap tolerances and alignment and replace the hinges and locks if needed...it will be a brand-new car again.
Old 05-07-06 | 02:18 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Great write-up Mike
Old 05-08-06 | 03:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i know u checked out the butler tire display. some sick cars.
anyway, i think the atlanta show is getting weaker by the year.
also the SL55 AMG. it had white leather and the outside bolster was dirty black by wednesday when i was there..
THe Butler Tire display was its usual sickness, with the only 911 there, with the Techart package.

YEah, I think I will contact MAADA and see if they need help. It was a pretty sad show to me.
Old 05-08-06 | 03:57 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

The LS600hL interior is breathtaking in person, ain't it? It could have been designed by Maybach on their best day with those wonderful reclining seats. This car is going to be a rockstar.

Once that thing is launched....wow. The Lexus lineup will be amazing (as if it isn't already!)
Old 05-08-06 | 08:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CHIS350
The LS600hL interior is breathtaking in person, ain't it? It could have been designed by Maybach on their best day with those wonderful reclining seats. This car is going to be a rockstar.

Once that thing is launched....wow. The Lexus lineup will be amazing (as if it isn't already!)
Yes, in person, pics do it no justice. Amazing how far Lexus has come. The passengers are taken care of just as much as the driver. It was very "harmonious" no ***** and thank God they didn't follow Benz and make another version of the 7 dash