Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rebadged Opel Astra will come to U.S. at end of 2007 as Saturn Ion

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 06:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Rebadged Opel Astra will come to U.S. at end of 2007 as Saturn Ion

Done Deal
Rebadged Opel Astra will come to U.S. at end of 2007 as Saturn Ion

By HARALD HAMPRECHT AND RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 05/08/06, 12:12 am et

General Motors plans to import rebadged Opel Astra compacts to replace the Ion at the bottom of Saturn's lineup.

The imports, starting at the end of next year, will sticker at about $16,000 - approximately $3,500 above that of the 2006 Saturn Ion 2 sedan, Ion's base model. Ion production is scheduled to end in December.

GM declined to comment. But sources within GM and its Opel subsidiary confirmed an outline of the plan.

Last year GM sold 100,891 Ions. That car follows the S series, which sold 200,000-plus units from 1993 through 1999, peaking at 286,003 in 1994.

The annual sales target for the Astra model will be considerably lower, ranging from 20,000 to 40,000 units.

Saturn's version of the Astra probably will be assembled in Antwerp, Belgium. The name Astra may be used on the Saturn model.

Importing Astras would fit GM's strategy of repositioning Saturn as a Europeanized brand. At the New York auto show last month, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said nearly all Saturn vehicles will be based on vehicles from Adam Opel AG, GM's German subsidiary.

The current Astra went on sale in Europe in 2004. The European press has praised the car, and it was western Europe's second-best seller last year with 453,000 units, just behind the Volkswagen Golf.

Jim Sanfilippo, executive vice president of the consulting firm AMCI in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., says Saturn should have no trouble selling the car if it is well equipped. "People like to buy cars from Saturn dealers," said Sanfilippo, "and that is still a franchise in General Motors' portfolio that can attract import buyers."

Since 1958, GM occasionally has sold cars from Opel in the United States. In recent years it imported the Cadillac Catera and built the Opel-based Saturn L series in Wilmington, Del. Neither sold well.

GM builds the Ion in Spring Hill, Tenn. It has not disclosed plans for a new vehicle to replace the Ion there.
Old 05-08-06, 08:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

This is an an excellent decision.

Having driven the Astra here in Mexico and knowing plenty of owners (no Opel, everything is badged under Chevrolet), this is one well-built GM car. Plenty of zip for the price and tons of features.

I wish I could get Ford to import its egg-shaped Ka vehicle into the U.S.
Old 05-08-06, 10:53 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is an an excellent decision.

Having driven the Astra here in Mexico and knowing plenty of owners (no Opel, everything is badged under Chevrolet), this is one well-built GM car. Plenty of zip for the price and tons of features.

I wish I could get Ford to import its egg-shaped Ka vehicle into the U.S.
Yes, the Ka is a cool Cah (Bostonian)
Old 05-08-06, 11:05 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder how big a succes this will be stateside.
Old 05-08-06, 11:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the Astra race car in Europe. GM should show footage of the race version to jump off its introduction.
Old 05-08-06, 11:39 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I like the Astra race car in Europe. GM should show footage of the race version to jump off its introduction.
The old DTM racers where cool.
This new one doesn't really have a race version.
Old 05-08-06, 11:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
The old DTM racers where cool.
This new one doesn't really have a race version.
Race heritage. I should be GM's new spokeperson..considering the morons in marketing at GM Mr. Lutz I'm ready