Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Nissan Murano S AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 04:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by F23A4
I own an 05 Murano SL AWD and can state firmly that the power is there. It is the CVT that makes the power delivery seem sluggish. (NOTE: I also have an 02 Maxima with the same motor so, I do have some solid perspective here.)

After driving to Florida and back to NJ, I am fairly confident that few other crossover SUV have the Murano's performance (Highlander and Pilot included), particularly when it comes to handling. While the Murano (for us) was a compromise purchase between the wife and I (she wanted an RX330 , I wanted an Infiniti FX), it has been an enjoyable ownership experience thus far.

Sidenote: Had the RX350 been available at the time, we probably would have gone that route.
I have driven the Murano at sea level and I agree with you it has some kick (felt like more torque though. The CVT takes some getting used to. In Mexico, CVT is something called a special edition and other Muranos just have a regular tranny (I have no idea why they did this).

BTW, kind of makes we wonder if my RX300 feels that much faster than my friend's Murano exactly what kind of power I am spilling.
Old 05-22-06, 06:05 AM
F23A4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have driven the Murano at sea level and I agree with you it has some kick (felt like more torque though. The CVT takes some getting used to. In Mexico, CVT is something called a special edition and other Muranos just have a regular tranny (I have no idea why they did this).

BTW, kind of makes we wonder if my RX300 feels that much faster than my friend's Murano exactly what kind of power I am spilling.
Indeed, it seems that the Muranos sold in some other countries at least have the option of a conventional tranny. I do wish that was the case stateside. I would much rather have the Maxima/Altima's 5AT rather than the CVT.
Old 05-22-06, 07:41 AM
Milla...

mmarshall - Beautiful review, in fact whenever I see that you've done one even if I have no interest in the car itself I have to read it. Your thorough and honest work at taking the time to review a car and then writing it up for us is very much appreciated, your awesome mannnn

Is there a place where all of your past reviews are located here on this forum. Kinda like a car review section where all the reviews that have made by yourself and others are logged for us to view? (maybe we have one and I haven't noticed) If not I would really like to suggest that to the admins here, I think that would be a very useful tool for people who may be looking for a particular car for themselves or others.
Old 05-22-06, 11:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by F23A4
Indeed, it seems that the Muranos sold in some other countries at least have the option of a conventional tranny. I do wish that was the case stateside. I would much rather have the Maxima/Altima's 5AT rather than the CVT.
The CVT is pretty good though. I have driven a Murano down here with a normal tranny and I also would prefer that.
Old 05-22-06, 12:14 PM
typeshblue
Driver

nissan is making more of the cvt engines in their future cars, like the altima, maxima, and versa as options
Old 05-22-06, 05:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
mmarshall - Beautiful review, in fact whenever I see that you've done one even if I have no interest in the car itself I have to read it. Your thorough and honest work at taking the time to review a car and then writing it up for us is very much appreciated, your awesome mannnn

Is there a place where all of your past reviews are located here on this forum. Kinda like a car review section where all the reviews that have made by yourself and others are logged for us to view? (maybe we have one and I haven't noticed) If not I would really like to suggest that to the admins here, I think that would be a very useful tool for people who may be looking for a particular car for themselves or others.
This is a good idea. That is why I put 1sickreview in my title, so you can search 1sickreview and all my reviews come up.

Maybe MMarshall should have something similar, so we can find all his outstanding work easily.