Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gone in 60 seconds - the high-tech version

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 08:35 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gone in 60 seconds - the high-tech version

Keep an eye on your cars.

http://news.com.com/Gone+in+60+secon...tml?tag=st.num
Old 05-09-06, 09:20 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm assuming our Lexus has 40-bit code?
Old 05-09-06, 09:29 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, Gotta love the end part, that is so blunt.

Anyway, there was a previous article already discussed, and it says it takes 20 minutes to decode and steal the vehicle.
Old 05-09-06, 09:38 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

I figure if someone is targeting my car to steal it, they are probably going to steal it. Both a $100 alarm system and a $1000 alarm system will not do much to stop a professional thief. It may delay them a bit, but at the end of the day, your car will get stolen. Thats why the best thing to have isnt a car alarm, its car insurance.
Old 05-10-06, 12:10 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ichigo
I figure if someone is targeting my car to steal it, they are probably going to steal it. Both a $100 alarm system and a $1000 alarm system will not do much to stop a professional thief. It may delay them a bit, but at the end of the day, your car will get stolen. Thats why the best thing to have isnt a car alarm, its car insurance.
Wrong kinda thinking. Even proffesional thieves want to get something that will give them the least hassle as possible.

Personally I think the best route is to mix old tech with high tech. Have a fancy keyless entry system? I bet you even a proffesional thief, will not be expecting a and old school toggle switch hidden about or a few hidden about in a high end vehicle.

That and it should be legally allowed to.. end thieves. We dont need that kinda crap in todays society.
Old 05-10-06, 05:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pager alarm anyone? It will alert you of an attack so you can take appropriate action or
Old 05-10-06, 05:53 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Well, some may disagree as the overall value or piece of mind that a theft deterrent device offers is far greater than mitigating loss through insurance. In some occasions, the cost of a theft deterrent system is recovered in insurance premium savings (as a result of having a professionally installed system).

Back to topic - the RFID and wireless vendors supplying these remote entry/keyless ignition technologies really need to be pressured by consumer and insurance groups to upgrade their encryption key length to 128 bits AES or ECC.
Old 05-10-06, 06:21 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

really disturbing but ive already come to the conclusion that nothings safe
Old 12-24-06, 03:17 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Do we know if the GS is a 40 or 128-bit encrytion? I can't find it anywhere the official site.

Also the official site states that the GS 430/350/450h utilize an immobilizer. How can that possibly be as there is no key?

"Engine Immobilizer
A tiny transponder embedded in the key sends a personal identification code to the engine control computer. Unless the system reads the proper code, the computer will not enable the ignition and fuel injection, thus immobilizing the vehicle. "

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-main/mode...fications.html
Old 12-26-06, 02:33 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spiralynth
Do we know if the GS is a 40 or 128-bit encrytion? I can't find it anywhere the official site.

Also the official site states that the GS 430/350/450h utilize an immobilizer. How can that possibly be as there is no key?

"Engine Immobilizer
A tiny transponder embedded in the key sends a personal identification code to the engine control computer. Unless the system reads the proper code, the computer will not enable the ignition and fuel injection, thus immobilizing the vehicle. "

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-main/mode...fications.html
The immobilizer doesn't have to be embedded in the key. It could be in the remote. Also, if you had a one of those Lexus' that had the immobilizer in the key, you would have also gotten the spare flat key (The on on that credit card sized plastic) that had the immobilizer chip on the plastic case. To start the car with that key, you would have to hold the case near the ignition.
Old 12-27-06, 01:15 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

there was a post on an article not too long ago about someone's car getting stolen and the insurance company would cover it because it had the immobilizer and it couldnt possibly get stolen (in their words) so they didnt cover the guy's loss.

I wonder how much of a PITA it would be to convince your insurance that it was stolen!
Old 12-27-06, 01:26 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Well I guess parking faaaaaaaaar out in the parking lot to get away from cars is no longer a safe idea!
Old 12-27-06, 01:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Personally I think the best route is to mix old tech with high tech. Have a fancy keyless entry system? I bet you even a proffesional thief, will not be expecting a and old school toggle switch hidden about or a few hidden about in a high end vehicle.
il hafta agree with this but its getting harder and harder to put such a simple fail-safe on increasingly complicated cars

that being said, my LS and my dad's LS both have some "surprises"
Old 12-27-06, 02:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the oldest tricks we used to do when I worked at a dealer long ago to the cars we parked in a different lot was to pull the ECU fuse. It kind of worked the same as an engine immobilizer, only low tech. The good thing is most thieves would never bother to check the fuse
Old 12-27-06, 07:34 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Thats awsome. I new it was only a matter of time before thses unstealabele cars would become stealable.

Quick Reply: Gone in 60 seconds - the high-tech version