Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Engine Expo Best Engine of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 01:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
I stopped caring Henry.. This forum has a great mix of members, unfortunately there is a small percentage that cannot accept any brand other than Lexus or Toyota winning an award.

It's also easy for people to sit on the sidelines and pontificate how they would prefer one car over another when the closest they would get to either is the auto show.

Some things never change...
yup, one thing doesn't change for sure, i am waiting for your m6 to come and you promise you will let me sit in it ok?

Originally Posted by Ramon
While the M5/M6 have excellent brakeing power, they are using single piston calipers versus I believe 8 piston calipers up front and 4 in the back for AMG vehicles. Which I assume would lead to excessive brake fade on the bimmers in track conditions. I'm no expert in brake engineering so I could be way off base.
like gene said, the m5/m6 has 2 pots, not 1 pot and 8 pot on the e55 and cls55, so what? you have to see the braking test on the mb amg. they look nice, but their braking is far from good compared to the m5. the m5 stops very flat and much shorter distance than the amg
Old 05-12-06, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
[B]

2-liter to 2.5-liter:
Subaru 2.5-liter Turbo (Subaru Impreza, Subaru Forester, Saab 9-2X)
To be honest here, even as somewhat of a Subaru fan, I am really surprised that the Honda 2.2 in-line 4 used in the S2000 did not take the prize in this category. Unlike the Subaru 2.5 Turbo, Honda's 2.2 makes a maximum 240 HP with just normal aspiration, although the max torque figure ( like with many Honda fours ) is quite a bit lower, and the engine has to be revved to almost insane levels to get both.
Old 05-12-06, 08:02 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
That BMW v10 makes some beautiful music, with the performance to go with it.

When revved-up past 4,000 rpm the BMW V10 sounds okay, but at idle it sounds like a heavily-muffled dump truck.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't a performer... it is. (but I still prefer the low-end torque of the supercharged AMG engines over the peaky BMW V10)

The old V8 M5 sounded MUCH better at low speeds and just off of idle.

(The 1UZ with the exhaust uncorked sounds great, too)

Agreed, the new Toyota 3.5 V6 (and its' variants in the Camry, Rav4, and Avalon) should be on the list.
Old 05-12-06, 08:06 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Agreed, the new Toyota 3.5 V6 (and its' variants in the Camry, Rav4, and Avalon) should be on the list.
It is. It's 2nd in categories of the best new engine and 3-4 liter engine.

LINK
Old 05-12-06, 08:17 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
While the M5/M6 have excellent brakeing power, they are using single piston calipers versus I believe 8 piston calipers up front and 4 in the back for AMG vehicles. Which I assume would lead to excessive brake fade on the bimmers in track conditions. I'm no expert in brake engineering so I could be way off base.
That's a random statement. It's too bad people get caught-up in the "multi-piston" and "bigger is better" race when it comes to braking systems. You can achieve the same clamping force with two large pistons that you can with eight small ones. It's all about brake torque and how it is applied & managed. I guess there is still a lot of mis-information out there.

From the StopTech website:
"Won't bigger caliper pistons stop better?
A bigger set of caliper pistons will provide more clamping pressure on that axle, but could have a negative effect on total brake performance. If the pistons are too large for the application there will be excessive pedal travel and an adverse change in front to rear balance resulting in extended stopping distances. Also, clamping forces can easily become so strong that pre-mature lock-up will occur making brake modulation difficult. "
Old 05-12-06, 08:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
umm yeah i watched that, but the m5 didn't win, he was sliding coz' he knew the car couldn't hang with others and he was playing. he was complaining how heavy the car was and also the braking. on the last straight all other cars pulled on him, and the skyline won eventually i believe
Your right I guess I was just in aww seeing a 4 door luxury beast powerslide against some exotics. M5 M5 M5
Old 05-12-06, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Your right I guess I was just in aww seeing a 4 door luxury beast powerslide against some exotics. M5 M5 M5
oh dont' get me wrong, for sure it looks cool

i think on real race, some drifting is good (right at the boundary of losing traction. that means you get max traction possible out of the setup). but once you start to drift more, it's more of a show than a race