Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lamborghini Murciélago - A dream becomes a nightmare . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 04:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Lamborghini Murciélago - A dream becomes a nightmare . . .

Click HERE
Old 05-15-06, 05:16 PM
LXBOY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm!!!!

A lexus member in wa. state works for the dealership that carries, Rolls Royce and Bentley's and all the top cars, Even Lamborghini, according to him last time when we had the meet here in Seattle, he said these cars do not have as high build quality as Lexus does, its mopre of the name, I'm starting to believe this after looking at this site. But Oh Well.
Old 05-15-06, 05:22 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ..

What an interesting read...hmmm...they seem like isolated incidents but the particulars of the actual incidents seem silmilar according to the accounts. It's something Lamborghini definitely needs to look into.
Old 05-15-06, 06:09 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I've heard this story before and I don't think I can put the blame on Lamborghini for a few reasons.

1) The guy was seriously injured, including head injuries, it is entirely possible and even likely that his recolection of the events are not 100% accurate

2) So he found a broken rotor... When you crash at that speed, anything can break.

3) Even self proflaimed expierenced drivers can error

While I'm not saying its the drivers fault either, the evidence is circumstantial at best and is far from conclusive.

I do agree that the issue should definatly be investigated.
Old 05-15-06, 08:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Read this story sometime ago too. A few ppl on the Lambo forums opinions...

I think if he had a valid product liability lawsuit, he would have had a lawyer filing one days after the accident occured... Who would have a qualified accident reconstruction consultant review the event and give a proper analysis of what caused the accident. Rather than a half-assed antecdotal recount by someone obviously not versed in engineering failure analysis.

Interestingly enough, the unnamed experts he sites in paragraph #4 SEEM to be saying the accident was a result of driver error, however the driver doesnt want to accept that as the case.

Paragraph 5 seems to be the most important of the page, as this is the supposed smoking gun... "AHA!!!! The brake assembly failed!!!! See... There it is broken on the side of the road!!!'

Assuming that it is HIS brake component, the fact that it was found OFF the road where the car obviously hit the guard rail as evidenced by the skid marks speaks volumes to its irrelevence to the accident. Had it broke while he was driving, and caused the loss of control, given the speed he was traveling the component would have been found HUNDREDS of meters to the rear of the ultimate crash sight...

my guess... He was "demonstrating" the handling of his new car at high speeds to impress his friend in the passenger seat, jerked the wheel more than he should have, and lost it...

Paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9,10 & 11 are completely irrelevent to the accident.

For what its worth, my wife has a LOT of experience with auto accidents and reconstruction... She looked at the photo and agrees...

Assuming the broken disk was found in the spot where the picture was taken, and those are your skid marks, its extrememely unlikely that disk had anything to do with the accident... other then it snapped like a twig when the wheel hit the guard rail... At that point, you were leaving the road and brakes were useless... ONLY a PARACHUTE could have slowed you down at that point....

I dont know if that will help bring some closure to that aspect of the accident, but I hope it does.

As to the other "defects", you purchased a used car. The fact that it just came from a service doesnt mean a thing. The items you mentioned are not ones that would be fixed under a normal service... They are cosmetic in nature, and reflect more on the previous owners care for the automobile than Lamborghini's build quality.

And Im not surprised they wont answer you. ANYTHING they write to you could be used in a subsequent lawsuit... You say you dont intend to sue them, but you sure ACT like you want to...
In my humble opinion it can only be one of two things, a front brake disc shattering, very unlikely unless that car has had some serious track abuse and if that was the case then the brake discs would show obvious signs of fatigue. The most obvious cause of the accident as stated previously are the aftermarket wheels that were fitted. Unless those wheels were specifically designed and tested to deal with the weight, power and torque of a Murci then they are not up to the job with the sort of disastrous results that this guy encountered. The wheels were "probably" not designed to take a heavy road car on the mornal roads that we have to drive on.
So dont blame Lamborghini, go back to the wheel manufacturers and see if they can prove that they were fit for use on your car, bet they can't!!
Old 05-15-06, 10:01 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Those wheels look aftermarket. Cheap aftermarket at that ...

M.
Old 05-16-06, 05:43 AM
exvelocity
Pole Position

cliff notes ,please
Old 05-16-06, 07:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by exvelocity
cliff notes ,please
the guy is driving along on the autobahn on a straight road when his Murcielago abruptly turns right without his control. He flips the thing and is in the hospital for 5 weeks.

After the accident they find some rusty bolts holding up the engine cover, and also complains of shoddy fuel hoses. The guy brings in an expert for the court case to explain that the way the car left the road is either because the guy himself chose to make a 90 degree turn on a straight road, or something malfunctioned on the car's steering.

He then lists complaints of other murcielago owners who's cars have had other shoddy workmanship like broken spoilers, failing cylinders, etc...
Old 05-16-06, 08:00 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

WOW.... thats sucks. The author of that article/webpage seemed overly calm. People on this forum go crazy when they get a scratch or door ding, but this guy calmly tells his story about his Lambo that mysteriously jerked right and got smashed into a million pieces.