Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When speed and wealth collide - Carrera GT Crashes into Court

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 06:34 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When speed and wealth collide - Carrera GT Crashes into Court

Money does not buy taste, nor does it buy driving ability. The latter has become increasingly evident with the growing number of exotic car accidents.

Some of these high profile crashes are humorous examples of what happens when a person with plenty of money, but inadequate driving skills, gets behind the wheel of an ultra-powerful car. Instances of such well-heeled idiocy can be seen on the web, at sites such as wreckedexotics.com.

Now and again the outcome of these wrecks is not so funny, when the lives of the driver, or others, are lost. But whether or not there is a fatality involved, the question raised by these incidents centers on a need for driver training.

Any car driven badly can be a problem, but the chances of disaster seem to multiply as horsepower increases. And compared to only a few years ago when 300 or 400hp seemed like a lot of power, the number of cars today with engine output over 500hp is up sharply and destined to keep growing. These are cars with extreme rates of acceleration, top speeds often in excess of 200mph and sometimes very demanding handling qualities.

Two recent incidents have thrown this whole issue into sharp relief. Firstly there was the affair of a Ferrari Enzo (a particularly rare supercar), which was crashed at very high speed on a public road in California. Fortunately neither the driver, nor anyone else, was injured in the accident. The story caused a stir because of the strange behavior of the driver, a Swedish electronic games entrepreneur, who has subsequently been arrested by the police for fraud.

While the Enzo crash did not cost any lives, sadly the same was not true of a crash involving a Porsche Carrera GT, another extraordinary exotic with similar performance to the Ferrari. The Carrera accident occurred on a race circuit during a track day for owners of such cars. Both the owner who was driving and the passenger, whom he had invited for a ride, were killed when the Porsche slid out of control and hit a barrier.

Both accident victims were in their 30s and very wealthy. Subsequently, the wife of the passenger launched multiple law suits against the driver, the race track, the track day organizers and, significantly, Porsche for selling an "unsafe car."

More details of the case are explained in an interesting legal column in the June issue of Sports Car Market magazine. But one of the claims made against Porsche is that the Carrera GT is "too difficult a car to handle at high speeds for the average driver without instruction."

In other words, Porsche should not have sold the car to anyone without ensuring that the buyer was given adequate driver training.

Obviously the same observation could be made about a number of supercars on the market today. Two Detroit-grown examples that come to mind are the Ford GT and the widely rumored Corvette SuperSport, an extra powerful version of the current Corvette that is expected to launch in the next year or so.

None of this is exactly news to automakers; Porsche has been offering a driving school for its buyers for some years. Other manufacturers, including BMW, Audi and Mercedes do the same. But so far there has been no legal requirement that a buyer must complete special training before driving off in his or her 200mph exotic.

As an enthusiast driver with a keen interest in fast cars, the idea of more legislation in this area is an anathema. On the other hand when innocent lives are put at risk by the stupidly or ignorance of people who happen to have a great deal of disposable income, then there is a good argument for change.

John McCormick is a columnist for Autos Insider and can be reached at john.mccormick@detnews.com

Source: http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...605160301/1148
Old 05-16-06, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

retarded that the carrera GT widow was sueing porsche for "too difficult a car to handle at high speeds for the average driver without instruction." and "unsafe car".

NEWSFLASH this just in, I can lose control in ANY CAR at high speeds if i so desired to injure/kill myself
Old 05-16-06, 06:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default When speed and wealth collide-evident with the growing number of exotic car accidents

Deleted - duplicate post - I was probably reading the article when overclocker posted

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-16-06 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 06:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

overclocker beat you by a few minutes
Old 05-16-06, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Reminds me of those gunmaker lawsuits, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Every so often down here we have trackdays at some of the circuit tracks here and we always get a few high end vehicles and at least one of them is always in the dirt or hit the tires by just spinning out of control.

I couldn't claim that I could handle a Ferrari or a Porsche just because I can drive my Lexus. Everyone needs to master their vehicles individually and that takes time.

Last edited by Lexmex; 05-16-06 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 09:31 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has the makings of a great Law and Order episode...
Old 05-16-06, 09:48 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You know her marriage didnt mean that much to her, especially when she tried to sue all those companies. Honestly, if they were already rich, what good would so much more money do for her???
Old 05-16-06, 10:27 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

u cant make the enzo a case though... i mean the guy used to race ferraris semi pro or something right? still he crashed his car.... you can lose control of any car and die.... be it a miata, civic, or porsche. it is the drivers responsibility to only do what he can handle.
Old 05-16-06, 10:30 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, I get scared enough seeing Beverly Hills soccer moms driving all crazy in their AMG Benzs.
Old 05-16-06, 10:55 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Suing Porsche because your husband lost control of the car is ridiculous!

Car companies should not have to leave it up to the consumer to decide whether they are
skilled enough to drive these cars at their limits. It's up to the consumer to use his own
judgement. Whatever ever happend to personal accountability?

The same thing can be said of motorcycles. The sport bikes on the market today are scarry
fast. Most are faster than race bikes 10 years ago straight off the dealer lots. If someone
gets on a bike and crashes because they can't handle the power, it isn't the motorcycle's
fault. If you can't handle a fast bike, don't ride a fast bike.

Make companies responsible for people's lack of judgement only creates an idiot state.
I for one would not like my government to tell me what I can do with my money quite yet!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Old 05-16-06, 11:12 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Suing Porsche because your husband lost control of the car is ridiculous!
This is the passenger's widow not the drivers....
Old 05-16-06, 11:33 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Corey140
This is the passenger's widow not the drivers....

Then she should be suing the driver.
Old 05-16-06, 12:17 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruce van
Then she should be suing the driver.

She has...

Subsequently, the wife of the passenger launched multiple law suits against the driver, the race track, the track day organizers and, significantly, Porsche for selling an "unsafe car."
Old 05-17-06, 05:09 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Corey140
She has...
But it was never the driver's fault!

He was speeding at the end of a straightaway when a track official made a FATAL mistake! And let another car in the pits back in!

Neither porsche, nor the driver are to blame here.
Old 05-17-06, 06:18 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

i don't see how they can make that a mandatory thing... what happens to the 2nd owners of the cars? there is no way you can make THEM take the course too.

Quick Reply: When speed and wealth collide - Carrera GT Crashes into Court