Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TCC Review: Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 07:42 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default TCC Review: Audi RS4

2007 Audi RS4
A faithful point-to-point supersedan — but is it better than the M5?

It's easy to build a sports car: You make it lightweight and powerful with the engine, transmission, and occupants positioned towards the center of the car for better balance. Tune the suspension to serve up gluttonous portions of grip and balance and presto: You're done!

Performance sedans are another matter entirely, however. The engineers have to take a car that was packaged for comfort, convenience, and practicality and turn it into something special - something that makes the driver giggle on the right road at the right time, but that handles the daily grind as well as its mundane siblings. Currently, the BMW M5 sets the benchmark, although it's anything but perfect. The transmission, the looks and the universally loathed iDrive system all detract from the M5 experience, not to mention the fact it'll cost you close to $90,000 to put one in your driveway.

Enter the Audi RS4, Ingolstadt 's take on the uber-sedan concept, smaller and less complicated than the M5 with old-fashioned enhancements like mechanical differentials and a manual gearbox (that's a stick that pokes up between the seats that has to be moved around some to make the car go faster).

Although you might suspect its all-aluminum 4.2-liter V-8 is shared with the S4, other than the engine block it's basically an all-new motor. There are new pistons and connecting rods; a new crankshaft together with its bearings; new cylinder heads; a free-flow twin exhaust system and the latest direct-injection technology to help it achieve its stratospheric 8250-rpm redline. Power peaks at an astonishing 414 hp at 7800 rpm and maximum torque is 317 lb-ft at 6000 rpm, although 90 percent of its twisty impulse is available between 2250 rpm and 7600 rpm so there are no real flat spots anywhere in its delivery.

Power is channeled through a gloriously smooth and precise six-speed gearbox (there's no automatic or DSG option) and unsurprisingly, the RS4 is rather zippy: 0-62 mph takes just 4.8 seconds, 0-125 takes 16.6 seconds, and top speed has to be capped at 155 mph.

Four-wheel friend

The RS4's quattro 4WD system is also heavily modified. The center Torsen differential is now biased 60:40 in favor of the rear wheels, although 100 percent of the engine's available torque can be sent to either axle at any time as needed. There's a hypoid gear differential on both axles to distribute torque to the wheels and the whole system is backed up with a two-stage stability control system that even wipes the brakes rotors for you in the wet.

The suspension system uses the A4's basic front four-link and rear double wishbone arrangement but a brilliantly simple active ride system has been added that doesn't use any electronic devices. Each damper is hydraulically linked to its diagonally opposite counterpart and the movement of fluid, which is controlled by a central valve, helps to stiffen of soften the shock absorbers to counteract roll, dive and pitch while maintaining a compliant ride while cruising. The steering has been retuned for sportier driving also and the brakes are now enormous ventilated and cross-drilled rotors that measure 14.4 inches at the front and 12.8 at the rear. The front brakes also boast eight-piston high-performance calipers with four brake pads, while the rear brakes use single piston stoppers.

As you might expect, pedal feel and brake performance is exceptional, shrugging off the RS4's considerable 3957 pounds of heft on some of California's most challenging roads with no loss of performance or signs of fade. The whole performance package is topped off with glorious 19-inch wheels wrapped in sticky 235/55 Pirelli P Zero rubber, peaking out from underneath bespoke fenders that are extra flared to cope with the RS4's wider track, which grows by 1.5 inches at the front and 1.8 inches at the rear. The front fenders, along with the hood, are made of aluminum to help the RS4's weight distribution (58 percent of which still sits on the front axle) and elsewhere, new bumpers, side skirts, and a new trunk lid with an integrated spoiler complete the RS4's muscular makeover.

All clad in leather

Inside, potential buyers will be sorry to hear that the two-piece racing buckets and flat-bottomed steering wheel fitted to the European models aren't available on U.S. models, as they're too expensive to make compliant with safety regulations. To be honest, making do with the Recaro front seats and leather-clad steering wheel from the S4 isn't exactly what I'd call slumming it, as both are exceptionally comfortable and sufficiently grippy even for track use. Besides, I was so engrossed in the driving experience I could have been sitting on broken glass and I wouldn't have cared.

As a driving tool, the RS4 is simply staggering, offering the intimate feel and razor sharp responses lacking in the rather serious S4 sedan. Turn-in is phenomenal, with every minute steering input causing an immediate change in the RS4's trajectory and because there's almost no roll from the car's trick suspension, cornering forces are simply ferocious. The steering is perfectly weighted and full of communication but it's also a very refined set up that is completely devoid of kickback and artificiality. Whereas the S4 reminds you every second that there's a massive V-8 hanging out over the front axle the RS4 feels perfectly balanced and poised, communicating and playing along with you by letting you know exactly what each wheel is up to. That's not to say it's not bombarding you with every piddly little detail of the road surface beneath - it gives you just enough info to make it fun and filters the rest out so as not to wear you out. That not only makes the RS4 a reasonably comfortable cruiser, it's also very, very easy to drive hard for long periods of time.

I'm utterly and completely smitten by the RS4. Not only is the best looking supersedan on the market, it's also one of the fastest and most faithful point-to-point cars in the world. The driving experience is simply phenomenal, the V-8's cultured howl is simply addictive and yet it's as comfortable and well equipped as you could want, without resorting to the technological overkill that plagues the M5. To me, the Audi RS4 is like an Evo in Armani: Intimate, pure, fast and fun, but oozing style and class as well.

2007 Audi RS4 Sedan

Base Price: $66,000

Engine: 4.2-liter V-8, 414 hp/317 lb-ft

Transmission: Six-speed manual, all-wheel drive

Length x width x height: 180.7 x 71.5 x 55.7 in

Wheelbase: 104.3 in

Curb weight: 3957 lb

Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 14/20 mpg

Safety equipment: Dual front, side and curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes, stability and traction control

Major standard equipment: 19-inch alloy wheels; Recaro seats; climate control; parking sensors; xenon headlights; Dynamic Ride Control; sports suspension; cruise control; heated leather seats

Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles
Old 05-18-06, 07:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 05-18-06, 07:45 PM
LexFather

What the hell is wrong with these companies? this little car weighs 4100 lbs with a driver? That is nuts. A M45 and LS 430 weighs waht this car weighs. so much for lightweight brakes and forged wheels and the carbon fiber interior looks retarded when u figure out this car is a pig.

And us US customers don't get the awesome flat bottom steering wheel or sport seats.

I mean, I really like this car but how about LESS WEIGHT!!

Car companies don't get it, adding more and more power and tech in what are to be "sport sedans and cars" but they weigh TOO DAMN MUCH.

It just kills the tires and brakes and suspension.

LESS IS MORE!!

Old 05-18-06, 08:04 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen brother...the A4 has never been known for their lightness...you would think that the pinnacle of their line the RS, they would have tried to make it lighter.
Old 05-18-06, 09:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

What the hell is wrong with these companies? this little car weighs 4100 lbs with a driver? That is nuts. A M45 and LS 430 weighs waht this car weighs. so much for lightweight brakes and forged wheels and the carbon fiber interior looks retarded when u figure out this car is a pig.

And us US customers don't get the awesome flat bottom steering wheel or sport seats.

Car companies don't get it, adding more and more power and tech in what are to be "sport sedans and cars" but they weigh TOO DAMN MUCH.

LESS IS MORE!!
That weight is like my RX300. I remember our Jaguar XJ6s weighed like 2 tons and it drove like it, too.
Old 05-18-06, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

LESS IS MORE!!
umm excellent point there mike, that's very heavy. the car didn't feel that heavy when i was sitting in it the other day though, but this is definitely a mistake. weight is always the worst enemy on a sport / race car. for a car of its size this is way overweight
Old 05-18-06, 09:58 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

out of curiousity how much does an M5 and current E46 M3 weigh?
Old 05-18-06, 10:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by foofighter
out of curiousity how much does an M5 and current E46 M3 weigh?

M5

Curb Weight MT

M3 CSL (we don't get)

Weight lb (kg): 3052 (1385)

M3

Curb Weight MT

Last edited by rominl; 05-18-06 at 10:42 PM.

Old 05-18-06, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

mike i edited your post a bit -- silly typo

boy, 500+lbs more..... that's insane... imagine what it would be like if the rs4 is that much lighter
Old 05-19-06, 07:04 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

i really like the RS4 specs vise, but i hate what they did with head lights

so i fixed it a bit

Old 05-19-06, 07:46 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300
i really like the RS4 specs vise, but i hate what they did with head lights

so i fixed it a bit

That does look nicer!
Old 05-19-06, 07:47 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

LESS IS MORE!!
I agree, but Audis are known for being little piggies.

BTW, what advantage does a flat bottomed steering wheel have over a totally round one?
Old 05-19-06, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

only thing i can think of is slightly more room for your thighs which is right under the steering wheel, and it looks more race inspired
Old 05-19-06, 08:54 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

well the euro version has the bucketed seats so ingress and egress would be further facilitated w/ the use of a flat bottomed steering wheel.

Thanks for the specs. I cant believe that the M5 only weighs 55 more pounds and it's a bigger sedan with a bigger motor! wtf is up with that?!

Well when the E90 M3 w/ the v8 comes i have a feeling it'll spank this car.
Old 05-19-06, 09:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
only thing i can think of is slightly more room for your thighs which is right under the steering wheel, and it looks more race inspired
the driver was pretty comfortable in the car though, i thought the seats were put pretty low and comfortable too, very very good support

i actually think the headlights are ok, the grille is always my problem -- on all audi