Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I need solid sales stats for US Lexus sales during 2005 (And preferably Cadillac too)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 11:04 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need solid sales stats for US Lexus sales during 2005 (And preferably Cadillac too)

Some guy is telling me that first of all, the US government has legally defined 'luxury' as anything over a 42k dollar MSRP. I don't believe that for one second because then F350 diesels and such would be legally "luxury"? LOL

Then he's telling me that BY THAT DEFINITION, Cadillac outsells Lexus (in vehicles sold with over a 42k dollar MSRP).

First of all I don't believe that's true
Second of all even if it is true it'd likely be by a very slim margin, and if you actually got numbers on priced PAID that would change anyway because you can easily buy your average Cadillac for invoice price, often times minus a heafy rebate such as 2 grand rebate on the CTS, 3.5 grand on the previous gen Escalade, etc, etc...

So I've seen sales charts posted here with sales numbers for Toyota/Lexus but nothing that discussed average MSRPs of those vehicles sold. I guess I could just take the min and max price and average it out but that'd be a rough and potentially inaccurate guess and that'd take a lot of effort anyway.
Old 05-22-06, 11:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Average selling price etc.

Posted in a previous thread on value of Lexus & other brand franchises : CLICK

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-22-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 11:31 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's to say that the $46k Expedition King Ranch isn't luxurious despite a mainstream badge? And who's to say that the $20k RSX is a luxury car by wearing a premium badge?

With the ever-diverging automotive market the line that separates "luxury" vehicles from non-luxury ones become increasingly vague. When the government has to make laws so that it's clear who gets taxed how much, the MSRP becomes about the only quantifiable way left to "define" luxury in law terms. And if you really think about it, it actually is meaningful since spending more money than you need to is a form of luxury too, regardless of what you get.
Old 05-22-06, 12:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Who's to say that the $46k Expedition King Ranch isn't luxurious despite a mainstream badge? And who's to say that the $20k RSX is a luxury car by wearing a premium badge?

With the ever-diverging automotive market the line that separates "luxury" vehicles from non-luxury ones become increasingly vague. When the government has to make laws so that it's clear who gets taxed how much, the MSRP becomes about the only quantifiable way left to "define" luxury in law terms. And if you really think about it, it actually is meaningful since spending more money than you need to is a form of luxury too, regardless of what you get.
Regardless of how correct you think such a classification is, the fact is that one doesn't exist to my knowledge short of the defunct-4-years-ago luxury tax the government used to impose on any dollar amount spent on a car beyond 40 grand.

And furthermore... Toyota sells vehicles over 40 grand/42 grand as well - but we're talking about luxury marques really. I mean, if you want to include Ford over 42k with lincoln sales over 42k then do you include Mazdas and Jags too? Some companies they only own part of,. so should they only be credited for that percentage of the sales? It gets too confusing.

Last edited by Threxx; 05-22-06 at 01:36 PM.