Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another One Bites the Dusts (UPDATE- another Enzo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 07:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Another One Bites the Dusts (UPDATE- another Enzo)

2 Men Die as Ferrari Flips Out of Control, Crashes

By Stephen Osman and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writers
May 24, 2006

A man who authorities said may have been an off-duty California Highway Patrol officer and a second man who has not been identified were killed Tuesday in a rollover accident involving a Ferrari, the second high-profile Ferrari crash this year in Los Angeles County.

The accident on Cornell Road in Agoura Hills occurred about 3:15 p.m., when the silver 1993 Ferrari Testarossa spun off the road and flipped, the CHP said.

Both victims, believed to be men in their 30s, died at the scene, authorities said.

The Ferrari may have been traveling at high speed when the driver lost control, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks. "It came off the corner and went into the air and hit a pole and rocks before flipping upside down," he said.

Brooks said evidence at the scene indicated that one occupant was an off-duty CHP officer. But CHP officials said late Tuesday that they were awaiting results of fingerprint tests to confirm the victims' identities and declined to say more.

They also declined to name the Ferrari's owner until the victims' identities were confirmed.

The Ferrari was traveling south on the narrow road when the driver apparently lost control and hit a telephone pole, said CHP Public Information Officer Leland Tang.

The pole crashed through the passenger compartment and the car then flipped, flinging a large boulder from its resting place, neighbors said.

The car stopped in a corral owned by actress Morgan Brittany. "I heard a screaming engine coming around the curb, and the next thing I heard was a horrific crash," she said.

In February, the nonfatal crash of a $1-million Ferrari Enzo drew national attention.

source : latimes
Old 05-24-06, 08:05 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never have known it was a ferrari anything by looking at that wreckage.
Old 05-24-06, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
I would never have known it was a ferrari anything by looking at that wreckage.
same here, i couldn't figure out the slightest bit of it...

how sad.... the car i mean....
Old 05-24-06, 09:32 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

With accidents like this happening, I dont see why people laugh at the thought of driving school for these supercars. Its obvious that these types of cars arent your everyday 4 banger econo boxes... if fewer fatal accidents like this occur, then driving school is well worth it.
Old 05-24-06, 12:51 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl

1st pic, look at the headlight, only the Testarosse has one like that
Old 05-24-06, 01:15 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Who would have thought that a Ferrari would look so ugly upside down.. Too bad about people getting killed. I dont think Airbags were in vehicles in 93....

And who the heck is Morgan Brittany??
Old 05-24-06, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ichigo
With accidents like this happening, I dont see why people laugh at the thought of driving school for these supercars. Its obvious that these types of cars arent your everyday 4 banger econo boxes... if fewer fatal accidents like this occur, then driving school is well worth it.
Well.....speed limits are still speed limits, whether you are an a Kia Rio or a $1 million Ferrari Enzo. A driving school may help you become a good driver on the track, but this accident didn't happen on a track. It happened on a public road where one should have been driving with common sense....and from the looks of it, that car ended up upside down just outside of someone's patio and could have taken out the side of their house. The light gray color of most of the wreckage parts indicates there might have been a vehicle fire and that light gray foam covered it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-24-06 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 04:11 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

If you look at the upside down pic if the car and see the passenger side door. It resembles Testerossa. However, you have to look REAL hard...lol

The driving school idea is a good idea. The thing is though, some people who drive these cars mantain a certain ego that may not allow themselves admit to the needs or benefits of a "driving school." Speaking of driving school, I know BMW used to give away two entries to one of their school in North Carolina when you bought a brand new M5 (E39). Im not sure that they do the same, but no less, it was a good idea and a lot of fun.
Old 05-24-06, 05:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Who would have thought that a Ferrari would look so ugly upside down.. Too bad about people getting killed. I dont think Airbags were in vehicles in 93....

And who the heck is Morgan Brittany??
Too young to have watched even the re-runs of the TV series Dallas ?

Old 05-24-06, 06:25 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

damn.....thats not just a Testarossa...thats a 512 TR...now i feel even worse.

CEO
Old 05-25-06, 10:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Police officer was driver of flipped Ferrari

A California Highway Patrol officer was the driver and owner of the 1993 Ferrari Testarossa that crashed in Los Angeles yesterday. Derek Midollo, 39, died at the scene, as did his passenger, David Bjorklund, reports the LA Times.

The Ferrari went out of control on a residential street, flipped over, and hit a pole, according to witnesses. Midollo was an officer from the Woodland Hills and was a member of the special enforcement teams used to enforce speed limits on hillside roads, according to ABC7. “I heard it coming. I heard the engine revving high,” one witness told the Associated Press. Police officials told ABC they were trying to determine if speed was a “factor.”

source : leftlanenews
Old 05-25-06, 10:34 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Police officials told ABC they were trying to determine if speed was a “factor.”
I'm sure it wasn't... Ferraris are always flipping, shearing telephone poles, and relocating several-ton boulders all while doing 25mph.
Old 05-25-06, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
I'm sure it wasn't... Ferraris are always flipping, shearing telephone poles, and relocating several-ton boulders all while doing 25mph.
Yes. A car with a very low center of gravity like the average Ferrari is going to be very resistant to flipovers. The most likely way to make one flip is to have the wheels hit something while you are sliding sideways....like a curb. ( That, BTW, is what makes a lot of SUV's flip, especially with their much higher center-of-gravity )
Old 05-25-06, 11:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
oh yeah, right when they are enforcing the speed limit right? this tells so much about their jobs and what they do in real life.... to me, it's almost no difference than cops catching people stealing stuff, but when they are off duty, they steal. yay!
Old 05-26-06, 12:23 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
A California Highway Patrol officer was the driver and owner of the 1993 Ferrari Testarossa that crashed in Los Angeles yesterday. Derek Midollo, 39, died at the scene, as did his passenger, David Bjorklund, reports the LA Times.

The Ferrari went out of control on a residential street, flipped over, and hit a pole, according to witnesses. Midollo was an officer from the Woodland Hills and was a member of the special enforcement teams used to enforce speed limits on hillside roads, according to ABC7. “I heard it coming. I heard the engine revving high,” one witness told the Associated Press. Police officials told ABC they were trying to determine if speed was a “factor.”

source : leftlanenews
Good to know he enforced speed limits on hillside roads...May in effort to prevent cars losing control and flipping over or something...lol

Quick Reply: Another One Bites the Dusts (UPDATE- another Enzo)