Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you own shares of Toyota Motor ADR?
Yes, this company rules!
57.89%
No, I am a communist
42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Is your money where your mouth is? (investing in Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-06, 05:21 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this ADR is a bad buy right now but I am not sure it will be a "killer", maybe more of a safe long term I want to do better them my MM account type of deal.

As far as F and GM.

I am holding F from a recent buy.................
Old 05-27-06, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I think what I am trying to say is that Microsoft has continued to grow since it started and its bumps aren't nearly as bad as say an Apple in the fact it continues to dominate the market.
Microsoft may be growing revenue but their stock's been flat for 5 years.

And now it looks like Yahoo and eBay are going to merge, which puts more pressure on Microsoft.

Personally I think Microsoft is on hold until they get rid of that blowhard Balmer at the top.
Old 05-27-06, 09:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Microsoft may be growing revenue but their stock's been flat for 5 years.

And now it looks like Yahoo and eBay are going to merge, which puts more pressure on Microsoft.

Personally I think Microsoft is on hold until they get rid of that blowhard Balmer at the top.
And that is my worry in the future when comparing Toyota and Microsoft definitely is a hold stock.'

Actually, I am looking not only energy stock but also those related to fresh water, as that is going to be a huge problem area in the future.
Old 05-27-06, 11:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
And that is my worry in the future when comparing Toyota and Microsoft definitely is a hold stock.'

Actually, I am looking not only energy stock but also those related to fresh water, as that is going to be a huge problem area in the future.
My kind of ideology. I have been holding fresh water index for quite a bit now. I have the same views for the future. Besides energy / oil stocks are topped out already.
Old 05-28-06, 12:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by foofighter
Ford and GM are a better buy
Ford maybe a good buy, I can see them turning around.

GM stock hasn't moved in what 30 years. A horrible buy.

Bit and I have spoken about this and his money is where his mouth is, I hope to join him in June.

Old 05-28-06, 12:15 AM
LexFather

Junk ratings make Ford Credit debt exchange costly - - Reuters / May 26, 2006 - 1:00 pm - - Source: Autonews.com

NEW YORK -- Junk ratings are proving costly to Ford Motor Credit Co. as the finance arm of No. 2 U.S. automaker Ford Motor Co. exchanges debt coming due over the next two and a half years.

Ford Motor Credit Co. is offering yields of about 10.6 percent on $1.5 billion of new notes due in 2010 that it wants to exchange for notes coming due through January 2009.

The yield is the highest paid by Ford Credit in at least a decade, according to financial data provider Dealogic. Borrowing costs are the largest expense for Ford Credit, which has about $131 billion of debt.

A Ford Motor Credit spokeswoman declined to comment on the private exchange offer.

"All they're trying to do is roll this debt and extend it in exchange for increased flexibility in the short run, and they're willing to pay a very high price to do that," said Morgan Keegan analyst Pete Hastings.

The terms of the exchange offer, announced late on Thursday, came on the same day that Standard & Poor's threatened to lower its credit ratings on Ford and Ford Credit deeper into junk status amid concerns about Ford's shrinking market share and high commodity costs.

Ford and Ford Credit are now rated "BB-minus" by S&P, three steps below investment grade.

Ford earlier this month said its global market share will likely be down or flat this year, citing the impact of rising fuel prices and competition on sales of full-size trucks and sport utility vehicles, its traditional areas of strength.

By accepting the exchange offer, investors will be exposed to Ford's credit risks for a longer time, including the 2007 union contract negotiations, Hastings said. Ford is aiming to reduce jobs and lower benefits, and it is unclear whether that process will go smoothly or lead to a cash-draining strike, he said.

Despite the high yields, Ford may ultimately benefit from the exchange, said Thomas Eggenschwiler, co-director of research for Aladdin Capital in Stamford, Connecticut. The debt exchange will allow Ford Credit to conserve liquidity and also relieve any investor worries about upcoming debt maturities, he said.

The 2010 notes are one of two series of notes being issued as part of the exchange. It will also include about $1 billion of floating-rate notes due in June 2011 to be priced at par.

Old 05-29-06, 08:43 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have shares... nothing too ridiculous, just 50 measly shares. I've owned them since 1999, so they have gone up a considerable amount, but I just have them as LONG term investments.
Old 06-18-06, 01:06 PM
LexFather

Well I'm in.

If you thought I was a Toyota/Lexus loving ***** before, well, now your taking to a (#)$()#() shareholder.

Old 06-18-06, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Stocks, in many ways, IMO are really not the best investments to start with. I've been investing in tax-free municipal bonds for much of my life...they provide good, reliable, stable, tax-free interest ( in many cases double-tax-free ). Unless something major and unforeseen happens I'll soon be ready to retire because of that.
Stocks were great in the mid-late 90's but then collaped, and since 1999-2000 haven't done much of anything at all....and even in the glory years of the late 90's you were, in many cases, paying taxes on those earnings. And, even worse, Enron, QWest, and World Com showed that stocks can be one thing on paper and something quite different in reality.
Auto stocks in general.....including Toyota....are not a partucularly good buy, even by the normally riskier standards of stocks vs bonds. Part of the problem, even with companies that spend a lot on their employees like GM and Ford, is that executives in the auto industry, with few exceptions, are paid obscene amounts of money, even considering their huge responsibility levels....more than IMO they are worth. No one, IMO, is worth half-a billion dollars a year.....and you can't distribute to stockholders what goes into the fat-cats pockets.

And if managers aren't bad enough, don't even get me started on the auto marketers and the idiotic dsisions they make......

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-06 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-19-06, 06:46 AM
Lvangundy

I bought very little at $105, it went up to $120~ then dropped to $95 - eek!

Oh well..it's a long term thing for me, I don't have the funds to be doing large volume short period trades.