Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: See Post below for Question
Yes, get it
66.67%
No, Save your money
33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

I'm so confused.. Help.. Should I buy a second vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 05:33 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm so confused.. Help.. Should I buy a second vehicle?

Hi fellow Clublexeons

I am having this issue on whether or not to purchase a second vehicle. I am ONLY interested in a handful of SUVs at this time. All being 4x4 and slightly used (Xterra, 4Runner, RX300, and so on)

My question is, what is your opinion on whether I "need" a second vehicle or not.

Here are my needs
-Occasionally if my car is in the shop
-Going to the beech (driving on the beech)
-Picking up crap from Lowes, Home Depot
-Having the ability to carry large items and more people (which I don't do too often)

Here is my current situation
-I can pretty easily afford a second vehicle
-I'm only home about 3 days a week (travel by Air the rest of the week)
-The SUV might end up sitting in my driveway most of the time.
Old 05-25-06, 06:25 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it's not too expensive, go for it

Your needs are pretty much the same as mine. Your situation, however, is different. I do not travel often, but my work schedule & hours means that if I bring in a car for service, I have to drop it off on a Tuesday and pick it up the next Tuesday. My wife has an Acura TSX, I have a GS430 and I bought a '97 4Runner with 93K miles last year for $11K. Obviously, one of the vehicles sits dormant each day (often the GS... I'd rather put the work mileage on the older vehicle). I was reminded last weekend by a trip to Home Depot that the SUV is more of a necessity than a luxury And having my own "loaner" when one of the three cars is in the shop is definitely worth it in my opinion A couple times before that, I had to rent a car when a vehicle was in the shop ==> time consuming, inconvenient, expensive...

Last year, one of my "money-borrowing" friends asked me why we have three cars. I told him we needed three vehicles. We'd be screwed with just two!
Old 05-25-06, 06:36 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Boy I've talking about this for months... I'm in the same boat also.. My second car is a ES300 and was thinking of getting a truck for the same reasons in the first post.. I drive both cars during the week... but the GS is in the Garage and the truck would be outside.. but i would also use the truck for work and Home Depot and stuff like that.. Also It really is nice to have 2 vehicles if you can.. We have three including my GF car.. So when there is a car in the shop someone has a car to drive...(Only i drive the GS) LOL...

I say go for it... If you can afford it than do it... Its so much easier than trying to get a ride form a buddy, renting a car etc...

Good luck and hope you get it...

Tony
Old 05-25-06, 07:07 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Go for it if you can afford it.

I wouldn't put the RX300 in the same class as the others for the uses you mentioned - it is not a real 4x4 and doesn't have much "Home Depot" space compared to a 4runner. We are actually looking at an RX, but as a second SUV - we have the GX470 for when we need a real one.

Also, the RX carries at best 5 people total (and the 5th in the rear seat middle will not be happy for long) - there is no option for an extra row if you need one.
Old 05-25-06, 08:37 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you considered a Tacoma, or Nissan truck?? You will probably get better gas mileage than an suv, and still use it for the runs to Lowe's or Home Depot
Old 05-26-06, 11:09 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I say go for it. I've had a 2nd car (explorer) for 3 years now, and i can't imagine not having an extra.
I don't want to drive my GS in the crappy weather, park it if I know i'm gonna be on city streets, or runs to Home Depot.
Don't spend too much money on it - just so you don't feel too bad when you're loading it up, or leaving it outside.
Old 05-26-06, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

See if the Subaru Forester or Outback will meet your needs....and if their cargo bays are large enough. They have AWD traction and handle and steer better than any of the vehicles you mentioned. But avoid those built before 2003.
Old 05-26-06, 01:40 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Go for it if you can afford it.

I'm in the same boat as you are. You'll laugh at the choices I've been thinking about as a second vehicle so I'll remain quiet, but definitely if you can afford it.
Old 05-26-06, 03:31 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say do it....

My only opinion would be get a used truck or SUV you’ll save a lil bit more $$.... dunno I personally rather buy cars then lease and buying new = immediate lose in value...

-Tommy
Old 05-28-06, 12:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Hi fellow Clublexeons

I am having this issue on whether or not to purchase a second vehicle. I am ONLY interested in a handful of SUVs at this time. All being 4x4 and slightly used (Xterra, 4Runner, RX300, and so on)

My question is, what is your opinion on whether I "need" a second vehicle or not.

Here are my needs
-Occasionally if my car is in the shop
-Going to the beech (driving on the beech)
-Picking up crap from Lowes, Home Depot
-Having the ability to carry large items and more people (which I don't do too often)

Here is my current situation
-I can pretty easily afford a second vehicle
-I'm only home about 3 days a week (travel by Air the rest of the week)

-The SUV might end up sitting in my driveway most of the time.
Maybe lease for 2 years and notate your habits and after the 2 years, you can really decide to keep/upgrade/downgrade or you don't need a 2nd SUV at all.

Old 05-28-06, 03:02 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I don't think you need it. I mean how often do you really haul stuff from Lowes? You said yourself you don't haul alot of people very often either. Plus, if your Lex is in the shop that much, that might be a different problem altogether. Is 10k really worth it for the 2 times you might haul some fertilizer from Lowes? If you are going to get a second car, I say get something fun....a convertible, etc. I am thinking of getting a second car too, but only because I drive 25-30k miles per year and do not want to put that many miles on a high-end luxury (I learned my lesson with my CL).
Old 05-28-06, 09:05 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

I brought a second vehicle, an Accord station wagon at that. People at the job get a kick out of that.

It's proven to be very useful: gets better mileage than the SC300, I've hauled things I wouldn't imagine doing in the SC (boxes, 27" TV, mattress and boxspring, etc) and it keeps the mileage down on the SC as I use it to commute back and forth to work. I paid very little for it, so it was a no brainer for me. It's a '92 but it was a one owner and in excellent mechanical condition, the exterior is so-so, but it's a beater.. I have service records dating from it's purchase in 1992 to August 2005.